Advice sought – Qantas merging two separate bookings experience?

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• onajetplane
    Participant

Wonder does anyone have any recent experience of merging two separate bookings on Qantas recently? I know BA etc stopped this a long time ago, but the Qantas website still seems to indicate that I will be able to do it after I have booked? Just concerned if I make the second booking and then can’t actually merge. Any experiences? Unusual situation of fare availability for the first flight into NZ intl. border opening and so have been able to get a avios seat out of Sydney, but ideally would like to do a 3 hour connect in Sydney, rather than land and clear customs and immigrations and overnight before the flight to NZ. Any insider knowledge welcomed! Thanks!

MarcusGB
    Participant

Clearly you need to speak to Qantas and have it confirmed in writing, Email.
    Also check the NZ requirements as to what the minimum days of entry needed to enter, if you enter SYD, you may then break your PCR validation.
    Also they may require that you transit only otherwise you may have to stay a minimum number of days in Australia.

At this time, gone are the days to be able to Stopover, or booking too much ahead!

Pre-Covid, Airlines even within Alliances, with KLM, you could not always merge a booking, apart from when it was a miles booking with KLM to KLM /AF.
    I had arguments in Sydney with China Airlines reps that were quite aggressive as they refused to book me through to London after flights on China Airlines via Taiwan through to AMS, and then a seperate ticket with KLM to London.
    The price was really quite a large difference to do this and as it is now, start from the EU.

Now, you may not be able to travel by “Stopping over”, if the destination country require pre flight PCR’s, or be in a country for at least 7,14, or 21 days as has varied.
    I flew to HKT with Swiss a few weeks ago Business ex LCY, and Zurich. It was clearly stated i should have been in my starting country for 14days in the Thai Test & Go system.
    If i had not, or broke the journey by stopping, i could not enter unless i stayed there for another 14 days.

Covid, with changing rules so much in so many regions, and the atrocious rate of 1/13 and increasing infections in the UK, is frankly a gamble booking ahead as it is.
    We are one of the worst recorded countries for infections in The World.

Covid is not finished with us, with 3 variants of Omicron, and a general increase Worldwide, Australia, NZ, HKG, China, Europe, UK, the same pattern when countries open up. The Government has done us no favours to test before entry, or test on arrival, a minimum safety measure, let alone, isolation and NHS access to tests for Later Flows.
    Many countries will not accept home tests and will still require PCR or lateral flows by Certified and accredited Companies, like Collinson.
    Point to point and in transit is permitted at some airports not at others like BKK a few weeks ago, where isolation through the airport was needed. It was very uncomfortable going through multiple processes of repeated bureaucratic forms and checks, then walking down terminals glassed off from domestic passengers throughout, and having to wait in one gate with no access to food and drink.
    This for a flight to all islands, so nothing to drink for over 4.5 hrs.

I would simply book through, or chech=k for an airside hotel if there is one if needed…
    Gone are the days to be able to Stopover, or make separate bookings now, Airlines, countries and transits are changing week by week, even booking ahead too far, is very unreliable with constant changes. I would keep it simple, transit only on one ticket.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls