Advice Please! Where to stay for a month in Hong Kong

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

A colleague and I are faced with a stay of about 5 weeks in Hong Kong (working on HK Island, in Central). I’m not keen on a hotel both on cost and cabin-fever grounds (been there, done that once and never again for that long!). But it clearly isn’t long enough to rent an apartment.

Can anyone recommend a long-stay serviced apartment which is a bit more like a home and less like a hotel? 2 bedrooms plus kitchenette/diner would be ideal, but the budget is not huge. Willing to travel in to Central each day within reason (but not from the outlying islands).

Many thanks.

azidane
    Participant

Hi Cedric, I have on various occasions used http://www.airbnb.com when searching for long stay apartments in various places around the world.

When I done a 3 month stay in HKG earlier this year I opted to live on Lamma Island, and absolutely loved it, but not for everyone.

Have fun in HKG.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

Thank you Azidane. This is very helpful as I had not met this site before. I am also very encouraged to see some rooms within my budget!!

Would you say the site is reliable and the properties generally as described?

As for Lamma, I agree with you it is a lovely place for a day, a weekend or a bit longer. But my colleague has not been to HK before so I think he would find 5 weeks offshore on his first visit too much and he’d be disappointed not to be closer to town!

Best wishes

azidane
    Participant

Hi Cedric, am glad you found it useful as have I on numerous occasions and I have never had any problems with the descriptions or with the bookings in general.

Ok, Lamma maybe a bit too much for a HKG first timer, but when you have spent a lot of time on HKG Island then you come to appreciate the sedate pace of life on Lamma and some of its more colorful residents 😉

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I never used service apartments, but it has been discussed elsewhere in the forum. I seem to recall that some hotel chains such as Hilton and Marriott offer serviced appartments within the hotel. The advantage being your room is regularly serviced. No trips to the launderette etc.

I’m not sure of the rates but it may be worth researching.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

I stayed in the Mandarin Oriental for 3 weeks once – had a great suite, amazing views etc. Was a bit expensive, but worthwhile. If you speak to them directly, they will give you a good rate for a long stay

hud2012
    Participant

Hi Cedric,

I would recommend North Point Apartments (Harbour Plaza Hotel) located on the Hong Kong Island.

Please see here: http://www.silverdoor.co.uk/serviced-apartment-property-1197

Their 1 beds and studios are up to a very good standard, the price is very reasonable and it is actually 1 minute away from Quarry Bay MTR station.

Many thanks.

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Hi Hud2012 – I’ve not tried them myself, my a friend of mine has and through they were OK (if not a bit small)

samanthah
    Participant

Yeah, I know the feeling Cedric. Can’t stand staying at one hotel for more than 2 weeks. I’ve had good reviews from friends and colleagues who used long stay apartments/b&b websites like wimdu Most of them are pretty reliable and accurate with varying prices and locations. Most websites have reviews from previous visitors which is always a bonus. It all depends on what budget you’re looking at really.
    Hope this helps.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Cedric, there are lots of options, but you really do have to give people at least a clue about your budget!! Saying it is “not huge” doesn’t really help much…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls