Advice Please – Bangalore First Timer

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

PerthWA
    Participant

Grateful for any and all advice from the Forum for me, a first timer to Bangalore next month.

1. Which is the preferred airline as it seems unless one transits through BOM its SQ or fly to DXB for an EK flight! Slightly mad idea.

2. Preferred hotels? Especially as lone female traveller?

3. Getting around… how, whats the safest most reliable please, do you get a hotel car to pick you up at airport for example?

4. Any other practical advice gratefully received!

Thanks so much in anticipation.

Susi80
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve been to Bangalore about 15 times now due to work, and unfortunately it’s not as safe anymore as it used to be.

I’m also a female traveler on my own, and I would highly recommend that you book a hotel shuttle taxi before you arrive.

It is a lot more expensive but also very save, as they pick you up straight after the arrivals hall. Also if you can get a hotel driver to take you around, this way you avoid having to stop at every single tourist trap shop. It used to be great fun going around in tuk-tuks but not anymore.

My favourite hotel is the Taj Palace, it is stunning and totally secure, but of cause very pricey, their business alternative is the Vivanta by Taj in the town centre, you can even walk around some places from there. For work I always stay at the Crowne Plaza, but it’s a bit outside.

In regards to airlines, I always go BA, the only ones flying direct from London, treat yourself to economy plus if you want to get a little bit of rest, economy is always more like a kindergarten with a huge amount of children and toddlers running wild. Also as it looks like you’re travelling during monsoon season, take a very big umbrella with you, rain coat and wellies it floods very quickly there. Have fun, I love this place, loads to see and do and the temples are amazing.

penfold69
    Participant

For any lone female travellers, there is a company called Maiden Voyage that gives advice and tips. It also has a networking side that can put you in touch with others in the same position so you don’t have to be alone. I met the woman who started it a couple of years ago. Check them out interested. If I remember correct, they are free to register but there is obviously a paid for subscription version with more included than the basics.

Sharmilabanu
    Participant

When i went to Bangalore for official meeting i stayed in Mels Service Apartments near airport road they provided very good services and food are good. Best thing is it is very comfortable and safe for Females. Try it

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I use Le Meridien and find it to be excellent.

They will send a driver to meet you at the airport and the car will be clean, tidy and fitted with seat belts in the back (many are not).
    Journey time from airport to city is an hour (can be 90 mins in peak times) – the hotel car will cost a lot more but, it’s by far the safest way.
    Uber now operate in Bangalore and I’ve used them several times & found them cheap and reliable, but, I am not a female travelling alone.

Generally worth downloading the free maps package from Maps.me (Android & IOS) – maps are downloaded onto your phone so there are no data charges. Maps.me comes with completely free Sat Nav and I have found it very useful in countries where I just want to let the taxi driver know that “I have Sat Nav and I know where you are driving me and which route you are taking”

Best piece of advice I can give you for travel in India – pack plenty of Immodium – you’ll need it 😉

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Perth, with respect to Sharmilabanu and any other first time poster suggesting anything other than top hotels, I’d be careful as they may simply be touting for business.

I see Susi is a first time poster as well but her advice is very sound. I’m a man but first time anywhere makes me wary and I always ask the hotel to arrange for transport and then use them for all other transport needs. I would also stay in a 5 star hotel belonging to a respected chain such as Taj, LHW etc. The extra cost is worth it in terms of security etc and once there you can get a feel of the place for yourself for the next time you visit and then make your own decisions accordingly.

Keep the direct number of the concierge handy so you can ask them to arrange your return. Another option if you have several meetings is to just keep the car for the whole day. This can be surprisingly inexpensive and something I often do even in towns where I know my way around.

Under no circumstances use UBER if they are there. They do not guarantee your safety and their role is just to put you in touch with a private driver via their platform.

As a security consultant once said to me, chances are nothing will happen to you, but a few hundred extra pounds (dollars etc) spent to ensure your safety can save you many thousands if something does happen, not to mention anxiety and stress that can be caused to loved ones.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I should add, for the flight, I’m assuming from your name you’re coming from Perth so I’d use SQ and avoid Bombay. Alternatively EK but I think this will take a lot longer as you’ll be flying back on yourself but here the possible saving may be worth it.

PerthWA
    Participant

Thank Lugano managed to survive the experience and the hideous traffic!
    Totally agree about your Uber comment.
    As for the flight, I did actually go PER/SIN/BGL and return. Had to return to India a couple of months ago and this time used CX via HKG which was a slightly longer but pleasanter experience.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Glad it went well Perth. Sorry, just seen your question was a year ago. I must have missed the thread then.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls