Advice on T5

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• BPP
    Participant

Hi Folks.
    Resuming my travels early May with a short trip to Barcelona with BA in CE leaving mid morning. (Staying overnight at the Sofitel first).
    Haven’t used T5 for very many years so any tips would be appreciated.
    BPP

Eastbourneguy
    Participant

BA flights to BCN a depart from T3

CheerUp
    Participant

As mentioned Barcelona flights are from T3, so a more convenient hotel would be Hilton Garden inn at T2/3.
    It’ll only be a short taxi if you do decide to stay at the Sofitel.

Enjoy!

Gold-2K
    Participant

BA.com shows BCN flights in May going from T5? Looks like things have moved around. I have a flight to Bologna in May and that seems to have moved from T5 to T3, unfortunately!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BPP

sparkyflier
    Participant

Just remember an advantage of Terminal 3 is that if you have status etc you have the use of the Cathay Pacific lounge – which is a real haven. and the views from the restaurant section of the BA Lounge for First/Gold, are also very good! Security channel not quite as convenient of course but knowing the CX lounge is a joy helps with the process.

esselle
    Participant

Is the CX lounge in T3 open currently, given the almost non-existent flights to HKG?

sparkyflier
    Participant

I think there was a news item on this website recently saying that, which I commented on, and Tom Otley also did having visited it.

Other Oneworld carriers such as AA, QF, RJ and AY are in T3 and guess JL can use it too if they are flying from T3 again.

BPP
    Participant

Thanks folks,
    The tickets from BA certainly show a departure from T5 hence the question. I have flown regularly (before the troubles) out of both 3 & 4 in ‘J’ and occasionally’F’so know those terminals well.
    I have 2 nights in London beforehand so will do a recee landside one evening, but some advance knowledge of things like Fast track, Security, Lounges etc would be usefull please.

Tom, if you are reading this can you advise why the e-mail/password I use here to log in will not work with the app on my phone
    BPP

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I can’t answer that, it sounds impossible and bizarre and irritating and so I will ask someone else to fix it for you.

Could you email us and we will get someone who knows what they are talking about to sort it out?
    the best email is the one on this page

Contact us

under General enquiries:(I don’t want to write it, otherwise that will get spammed as well)

Sorry for the trouble.
    Tom

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I last used T5 in December, and previous to that in September. Very hard to generalise at the current time, I think. For business class check in, we had to queue for well over 2 hours in December – really painful. I noticed that the First class check in also had a queue coming out of the The First Wing at one point. Security was ok – 10 min wait. most shops were open. We used the lounge at the B Gate which was fine.

I will be back in mid April so can give you an update then but for now I would assume you may need to give yourself additional check-in time and consider it an bonus if it’s not needed.

BPP

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’ve used T5 two times in the last 3 weeks and have been lucky – busy, but no long queues.

Bussed out the the B Gates for the flight to the US, yet on the way back, got an airbridge back to the B Gates and used the underground train.

T3 was fine too – Finnair flight so used the Cathay lounge.

BPP

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Even when the T5 wing, Q was extending out of the entrance, it still moved fast.

Also, depending how you arrive at T5/Sofitel, remember there is now a £5 charge for using the drop off zone.

BPP

BPP
    Participant

Martyn, thanks for the update on drop off charges, (I am being taken down by car). Can I assume that they do not apply apply to being dropped off at the hotel only (Like the Hilton T4)? Also, does check in on-line and no hold baggage make any difference to the ‘procedure’ at this time?
    BPP

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi BPP – I am not sure whether there is a hotel drop off charge. I have not yet managed to print off a boarding card for a BA flight since my travels restarted. I think this is because check in agents still need to check documents for certain locations. I take papers copies of everything. I am fortunate to have access to the first wing – where even long q’s take less than 20 minutes to get through.

BPP

ASK1945
    Participant

I used T5 this morning, arriving at 0515 for an 0830 flight to Spain. As usual these days, I used “Meet and Greet” – and this time was greeted by name by the guy who recognised my number plate. There were no trolleys and I had to go to Departures on the next floor to get one.

T5 wasn’t particularly busy and I didn’t see any bag drop queues – indeed any queues. I had been able to checkin online, after an initial blip I reported on another Forum thread. We didn’t go to the Business checkin bujt used Bag Drop is now self-service with plenty of terminals, and is very easy to use.

Fast Track security was quick and efficient. It took only moments. We used the Club Class lounge in the main terminal (A) to start with, which was only moderately busy when we left it at 0720 – I wanted to try the newly reopened lounge in “B” Terminal – which was empty in the 30 minutes we spent in there. Incidentally, currently they are using only one shuttle between A, B and C so if you just miss one, there is a longer wait for the next one. It does take 10 minutes from A to B then.

Our plane took off bang on time and arrived at our Spanish destination on time (to the second). Incidentally, from the moment the plane touched the runway on our arrival until the moment we got into a taxi to leave the airport was exactly 25 minutes. This included passport control, health check, picking up our three suitcases which were on the belt as we walked up to it, and then walking across the terminal to the taxi rank.

BPP
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls