Advice on hotels in Liverpool

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• trainingday
    Participant

Firstly thanks to those who posted on my recent thread about buying train tickets to Liverpool – your advice was really appreciated.

I’m now looking at hotels, and any suggestions are welcome. I need to book 5 twin rooms for a total of ten people, for two nights over the first weekend in September.

We’re not looking for five-star luxury, but equally we don’t want to stay in a budget property, and we want to be central (ish – Liverpool isn’t that big a city).

We’re currently considering the Pullman on the docks, the Novotel, and the Radisson Blu. Any thought on those properties, or any others in the city would be fantastic, as well as tips on where/when best to book.

Thanks!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I stayed at the Adagio Liverpool City Centre a few years ago – very good value

esselle
    Participant

Do not, under any circumstances, book the Adelphi.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Here’s our recent four-hour guide to Liverpool for while you’re there trainingday…

Four hours in Liverpool 2016

And here’s the Adagio review Tom is referring to (published in 2013):

Hotel check: Adagio Liverpool City Centre

As well as a review of the Novotel from the same period:

Hotel check: Novotel Liverpool Centre

capetonianm
    Participant

On my last few stays in Liverpool, I’ve used Staybridge Suites in the docks, very close to the Beatles Experience and several good restaurants. It’s about 10 minutes stroll into town, although a bit far to walk to/from Lime Street with luggage.

https://www.staybridge.com/hotels/gb/en/liverpool/lplkw/hoteldetail?qAdlt=1&qBrs=6c.hi.ex.rs.ic.cp.in.sb.cw.cv.ul.vn.ki.sp.nd.ct&qChld=0&qFRA=1&qGRM=0&qIta=99632514&qPSt=0&qRRSrt=rt&qRef=df&qRms=1&qRpn=1&qRpp=20&qSHp=1&qSmP=3&qSrt=sBR&qWch=0&srb_u=1&icdv=99632514&sitrackingid=888232050&dp=true&glat=SEAR#

It’s not a conventional hotel, but as the name implies, serviced suites. Huge rooms, very comfortable, but not luxurious, a basic kitchen with utensils etc. Last time I stayed there was some renovation going on but not enough to cause any inconvenience.

The staff are always helpful and friendly, and on one visit they were very responsive in dealing with an abusive drunk woman who had ‘offered her services’ to me near the hotel and when I’d refused, followed me back to the hotel and threatening to get her pimp to come and deal with me! I should add that even if Liverpool has a bad reputation, that’s the sum total of my bad experiences there on many visits to this great city over the years.

I can only reiterate the warning about the Adelphi. Like most Britannia hotels, it’s very cheap and very nasty.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Ah, the Adelphi. That’s the hotel which featured in the BBC’s fly-on-wall Hotel series.

Tramor01
    Participant

Try the Aloft – Pretty good value for money

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls