Advice on Caribbean destinations

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

Potakas
    Participant

Hi all,
    BA has currently a very attractive offer and I am considering going to Caribbean with my girlfriend by the end of May. All those places seem the same to me and I would like to hear some advices according to where I should go.

We will spend there 7 days and as we are young I don’t want to get bored. So the best think would be to have some activities there with a combination of some cultural tourism.

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks

PS Currently we are in between Antigua, Santa Lucia,Tobago and Barbados

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Hi Panagiotis,
    Consider doing a a 2 site jaunt – Antigua and Guadeloupe. LIAT are good for the short hop and the contrast between a Region de France and an independent Island are startling.

HappytobeSilver
    Participant

There is sameness about the Caribbean. I have been to both St Lucia and Barbados and the area around the hotels on the northwest coast of either island is pretty good with a range of cool bars and restaurants. Would recommend the hotels around Holetown in Barbados in particular. If you can, go to Sandy Lane for dinner- expensive yes, but not outrageous for a special treat.

SenatorGold
    Participant

I’ve visited Jamaica, Grenada and St. Lucia. Grenada is really rather charming and my favourite of the three. That said, Ti Kaye Resort on St. Lucia is excellent and well worth considering.

Potakas
    Participant

Thanks all of you for your advices, we will book tomorrow for Barbados.

Alan, Sandy Lane is excellent but I will have to work it out with my budget. I will book everything through BA except the car rental which is not available. Neither Avis or other major company offer rentals there, could someone suggest me one?

Regards

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am not sure I would bother with car hire. Taxis and hotel transport are far less hassle and probably cheaper, especially if you enjoy some romance and decide not to leave the hotel on some days.

Enjoy the break and a full report please, apart from the parts that may not be suitable for such a conservative forum!!!!

Enjoy

Potakas
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

I will try to write a nice report and I will definitely add some nice photos.

I was thinking that the car will be more funny, potentially adventurous and will offer me some freedom, especially a mini moke 😀

Also I don’t want to deal every time with taxi drivers, some driving around the island will offer me decent views.

Thanks

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hey Potakas

I look forward to the photos and I am sure the mini moke will be great fun. Have a great time.

Martyn

sparkyflier
    Participant

If you have already booked your trip to Barbados I am sure you will have a great time and also eat well.The west coast has nice beaches, but on your trip around the island dont miss a place called Bathsheba on the east coast (Atlantic), very dramatic but you would not want to swim there because of the current.

I have been to Barbados, Trinidad, Grenada, St Lucia, Jamaica, St Kitts, Cayman Islands & Bahamas( all for work however ) and have found each one to be quite different to the other. My personal favourite is Grenada, lovely people, varied landscapes, the awesome but serene Grand Anse beach etc.

St Lucia is quite dramatic ( much more than Barbados) and takes 1. 5/2 hours to get from the international airport (used by BA & VS) ot the main hotel area in the northwest above Castries), but travelling through rainforests.

Anyone travelling LIAT, I have found them to be quite reliable, however, try not to pack to much a they are prone to leavng your case behind (capacity restictions on Dash aircraft) that will generally follow on the following flight, but still inconvenient. They also seem to love charging excess baggage!

Potakas
    Participant

Hi Spark,

I haven’t done it, I woke up today and my girlfriend was insisting for Grenada 😀

So we couldn’t decide for sure. Your suggestion helps me a lot.

From those I heard/read Grenada is the most beautiful of them and probably I will go only once to Caribbean, so I think this is the right one.
    Also if i get bored on Grenada I can go a day trip to some small islands there with ferry. Am I missing anything?

Potakas
    Participant

So, Grenada it is!! 😀

Thanks all of you for the advices and the comments, I will post a report as soon as we come back, in the meanwhile if any of you have specific advices about Grenada I would be interested in hearing them.

Regards

RogEdwards
    Participant

I have been to Grenada 6 times – IMHO the best hidden jewel in the world. Stay at Spice Island for a 5 star expensive stay, La Source for a Spa, Coyaba for a more reasonable cost.

Antigua three times. Look at Galley Bay or Curtain Bluff (expensive and pretentious)

Tobago – definitely don’t stay at Le Grand Courlan Spa – real hole.

Barbados – definitely don’t stay at the Turtle Beach. A good “vibe” in Barbados from a music scene – not the prettiest of islands.

Canouan (in the Grenadines – you go via Barbados) – Raffles Resort – 5 star with a Donald Trump Golf Course – nothing else to do.

Palm Island (in the Grenadines as above) – like being on your own desert island.

St Lucia – we went to Morgan Bay 14 years ago and that was near a carnival place called Rodney Bay. In St Lucia you have the volcano and the botanical gardens. Just stayed at Jalousie Plantation between the Piton Mountains – one of the nest places I have ever stayed anywhere in the world.

fatbear
    Participant

I would fly BA to Antigua and then take LIAT to Anguilla

VintageKrug
    Participant

Only just seen this:

I would stick with Barbados. There is some really fun nightlife, with a low fogey quotient, especially at places like http://www.harbourlightsbarbados.com/

Some great restaurants, but of course you’ll spend most of the time on the beach – though you could pop out and visit Concorde http://www.barbadosconcorde.com/

A round island sunset cruise is a fun – just ensure you choose your boat carefully so you’re with the right “sort” of people, and you’ll have fun!

If you do visit Barbados, hire a mini moke from http://www.stoutescar.com/vehicles.php and drive around the island; Bathsheba is well worth a visit!

If you ever consider St. Lucia there are some great deals at Sandals La Toc right now (40% off), though it is a bit commercial:

http://www.sandals.co.uk/main/lucia/lu-home.cfm

..and they have other resorts in the region.

If you’d had more time to plan, I would have recommended Guadeloupe or Belize….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls