Advice needed reg LHR T4 arrival and T5 departure (not transit) in a 3 hr window

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• MarkivJ
    Participant

Hi folks,
    I arrive at LHR T4, 150pm (KLM J class). I want to take the 510p BA flight to Pisa from T5 (I’ll fly economy, but I’m Oneword emerald – AA Exec Plat). Is this sufficient time to finish customs and immigration at T4 and then head to T5? I believe KLM doesn’t have arrivals fast track at T4.

Thanks in advance!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Flight connections… isn’t it just security…..

If you are on time into T4 and 3h 20 m is not sufficient…. I would call the Daily Mail…..

MarkivJ
    Participant

Thanks for your response.

These are 2 separate tickets/bookings. First ticket is London <> BLR (via AMS) on KLM and Jet Airways. The one above will be a separate booking on BA. So it’s more than just security/transit. I’ll have to do the whole customs, immigration and re-check baggage.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

if you have a boarding pass for the BA flight, surely its straight through to T5 from T4 thru flight connection..

MarkivJ
    Participant

I rarely am ever able to check in online (get my boarding card) as I hold an Indian passport. N American and European airlines I fly with need to verify I have the right documents and visa (schengen, in this case to visit Italy) before my boarding card is issued. This can be done only at the airline’s checkin desks. So I will have to clear customs and immigration at T4 before I go to T5, show the BA agent my visa to get the LHR-Pisa boarding card.

The visa verification step is really a one minute process so I’m least worried about it. The key question is – is 3hrs enough for T4 immigration and customs > transfer to T5 (I presume Pic line to T3 And change for T5) >> checkin at T5?

Flightlevel
    Participant

Connection landsideT4 to landsideT5 no more than an hour,probably less and you need to clearT5 security 45mins before your Pisa etd.
    Arrival landsideT4 depends on immigration ‘though 30mins should be enough.
    Thats 2’15 so time enough subject to immigrationT4. Your route is correct ‘though can’t you use the airside bus if no luggage (or it transfers via the airport?) probably better to transfer luggage yourself!
    If T5 busy suggest you try business class desks with your Emerald card or even First if you’re ok for the lounge?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

MarkivJ

After clearing customs at T4, head down to the rail station. Get the next train that connects to T3 (this is a free service, but you need to get a zero cost ticket from a machine to open the barriers) and then Heathrow Express to T5 – OR you could do the Piccadilly line direct to T5, as an alternative, it costs a few pounds, but might be worth paying if your bag is heavy and you want the most direct route.

From there, take the elevator to departures and turn right – walk to the very end to the First wing, where you can check in your case and then get expedited security and a direct path into the F lounge.

It sounds to me as if you have enough time.

Here’s the heathrow webpage

https://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/getting-around-heathrow/travel-between-terminals

GivingupBA
    Participant

You certainly have enough time as long as your flight to T4 is not seriously late [which is the kind of thing that worries me at Heathrow, though KLM seem to be very good].

I hope you have a smooth journey.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

A rail/tube link to T5 involves a change. There is a direct bus right outside arrivals to T5!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=877111]A rail/tube link to T5 involves a change. There is a direct bus right outside arrivals to T5![/quote]

You are right – my earlier post saying there was a direct tube connection was in error – thanks for your post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Take the bus between terminals as outlined on HAL website. It is easily the quickest route from 5 to 4 and no need to faff about with tickets.

Provided your inward flight is on time you should be fine. Say 60 mins for immigration and baggage, 20 mins to T5. T-45 mins check in, T-35 mins conformance (not 45 mins as stated above). 60+20+45 = 125 mins minimum. Of course you need some contingency but you have 200 mins so it should be OK.

An hour delay on the inward would mean squeaky bum time though. Not unheard of.

Flightlevel
    Participant

[quote quote=877111]A rail/tube link to T5 involves a change. There is a direct bus right outside arrivals to T5![/quote]

TfL service so no real schedule to the end of the route T5, trains more reliable and inside both buildings and free travel within the airport even on Oyster card – valid forever I believe.
    Time maximum one hour even waiting for buses or trains.
    To be sure or if delayed eta/immigration get a taxi,costly’though so far free drop off at last door,top roadway at T5 and stated above First is on your right and into the lounge with your card.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=877140]

A rail/tube link to T5 involves a change. There is a direct bus right outside arrivals to T5!

TfL service so no real schedule to the end of the route T5, trains more reliable and inside both buildings and free travel within the airport even on Oyster card – valid forever I believe.

Time maximum one hour even waiting for buses or trains.

To be sure or if delayed eta/immigration get a taxi,costly’though so far free drop off at last door,top roadway at T5 and stated above First is on your right and into the lounge with your card.[/quote]

6 or 7 buses an hour. You would be unlucky to take even 30 mins.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Thank you all SO VERY MUCH! I feel more confident in booking the LHR-PIS flight now!

AleRomUY
    Participant

Dear MarkivJ,
    I guess you have more than enough time to transit.
    And for sure the easiest way is taking the bus (free) outside of Arrivals in T4 (don’t remember the numbers, 490 or so and another one, they are regular bus lines; but take you for free to T5)
    I have done that transit a couple of times, going from Qatar J Class to Iberia J Class, and I have never spent more than 1 hour-1 hour and a half in total. And since you are Emerald (like me), proceed to the First Wing in T5 and it’s a breeze.
    Go ahead, you will be fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls