Advice from the regulars

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

It is worth pointing out that most airlines’ fare rules have a paragraph in them such as this :

OTHER CONDITIONS
    FULL AND SEQUENTIAL USE OF FLIGHT COUPONS –
    THIS FARE IS ONLY VALID IF ALL FLIGHTS ARE TAKEN
    IN THE BOOKED SEQUENCE.
    OTHERWISE THE FARE WILL BE RECALCULATED BASED ON
    THE ACTUAL FLIGHT ROUTING.

A travel agent is expected, reasonably or not, to know this before selling a ticket, but has no way of forcing the passenger’s adherence to the rule. The TA is a softer target as the airline can issue a non-disputable ADM – and they do, trust me, I have seen plenty!

A passenger on the other hand is deemed to have read and accepted the rules when booking on a website and is in theory subject to the same sanction.

rferguson
    Participant

I was reading an article in The Independent today about just this.

Lufthansa is suing a passenger whom it claims booked a ticket with no intention of travelling the last sector.

The court did not find in Lufthansa’s favour but did give it leave to appeal.

TominScotland
    Participant

rferguson

Already posted here: https://www.businesstraveller.com/forums/topic/the-madness-of-ex-europe-airfares/page/2/ on another thread

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Lufthansa is suing a passenger whom it claims booked a ticket with no intention of travelling the last sector.

It was easy for them to prove lack of intention because he had booked a concurrent onward segment to another destination, and as it was on another Star Alliance carrier, they were able to access that. There’s a moral in that story!

As illigical as the rules might seem to the public, the airline is probably in the right and might win the case. Part of me hopes they don’t, part of me hopes they do. What will be interesting and important is that the eventual outcome may set a precedent and thus provide clarity.

That said, there will always be grey areas, for example getting stuck in traffic between LHR and LGW, or oversleeping if it’s an overnight connection. Plenty of options there.

1 user thanked author for this post.

mattgraig33
    Participant

Looks like great advice. I will follow this thread for more info. LOL!

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls