Advice for first time on Qatar Airways

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

SenatorGold
    Participant

I’m due to fly LHR-DOH-JNB and return in business class. Flights will be on either the B777-200LR or B777-300ER.

I’ve selected (in sequence) seats 2F, 2E, 3F and 4E.
    On the outbound journey I have a 6hr 25 minute layover in Doha.

If anyone can help, my questions are:

1. If I were to change seat to a window seat and someone were to be seated next to me, how easy is it to negotiate past them when the seat is fully flat?
    2. Does 4E suffer from noise from the galley?
    3. What’s the best advice for using the Premium Terminal at Doha? Where’s the best area in which to find a seat?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Hi SG, I’ve not flown this route from LHR, but I have from MXP, so the DOH – JNB leg will be the same and likely the LHR – DOH not much different.

It will be necessary to clamber over the person next to you but if you’re a bit flexible hopefully they won’t wake up!

I’ve never noticed any noise from the galley really but then I’m a good sleeper on the plane.

At DOH the premium terminal gets very full between about 2330 and 0100 as all the Eastbound flights have arrived as well as the westbound ones. Everyone is now waiting for their onward connections so if you have a seat, guard it like gold.

If alone my favourite place to wait are the lounger type seats by the window. I put my stuff there to bag my place then immediately head for the restaurant section to have my meal. You can take food from any station and eat it anywhere. I then return to my seat to FaceTime home, download the papers etc.

I believe the new terminal will soon open, and this should alleviate some of the peak hour crush.

Hope this helps a bit and sorry to say this, but if not too late, try Swiss instead. You change in ZRH rather than DOH and arrive roughly the same time. Some business seats on the A340 are single ones and at at 1am you’ll be sleeping rather than reboarding another plane!

skywards
    Participant

Have a look on my friends Youtube channel he has videos posted of Qatar Airways business class and also a walk around the premium lounge at DOH on there somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/user/19bootsy68?feature=mhee

SenatorGold
    Participant

Many thanks to you both, LP and skywards.

LP – thanks for your advice regarding where to sit at Doha – I might be lucky as the flight arrives at 00.45 hrs from LHR and I don’t leave until 07.10 hrs. I’m not sure how much sleep I’ll get between flights.

Please don’t rub it in about Swiss – I’m also a great fan of theirs. Their business class seat is great and I’m pleased that Brussels and Austrian have adopted it too. However they were full in business to JNB and in any event I wasn’t free to choose the airline.

I’ll have to console myself with the Veuve Cliquot Grande Dame which they appear to serve on Qatar!

Thanks once again to you both.

superchris
    Participant

senatorgold, whilst I enjoy the comfort of business class, as much as the next man, Im really struggling to understand why you are willing to have a 7 hour layover in Doha versus taking a direct flight. Qatar are good ( I flew there 777 down to MEL in Business last year), but personally I would rather take BA or VS Premium Economy than the route you are embarking on.

Remember, they save the good stuff of the premium terminal (cabanas etc) for F passengers so you are in with the masses, Its a nice lounge but not when its full at 2am!

21 hours versus 12 hours direct. I think you are mad!

But then again, we are all different I guess

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls