Additional evolutions of the A380 family?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• YellowBelly
    Participant

Interesting article in the Daily Telegraph today: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/01/11/airbus-posts-record-deliveries-drops-behind-rival-boeing/

Does the quote: “additional evolutions of the A380 family” mean this could be a signal that a version with different engines or a new design capable of packing in more passengers may be back on the drawing board?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am sure Airbus would love to evolve into the USA market. Could this be achieved through a new engine option from the USA..?

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

I can’t understand why airlines that fly the 380 don’t make more of its unique appeal.

Everyone I know who’s flown on one has raved about its space and (especially) its quietness. There really is nothing else like it.

I’m reminded of the old VC10, which BOAC tried so hard to disparage, and then (having found that it was consistently attracting a higher load factor than its contemporaneous 707), started advertising its passenger appeal.

“Try a little VC10derness” and (with a head-on picture) something along the lines of “Lots of airlines fly the Atlantic. Only one flies this.”

The Middle Eastern and Far Eastern airlines have shown what can be done with it in First and Business classes. Double beds, suites, showers…. I wish BA would do the same.

openfly
    Participant

It’s a great aircraft and so quiet….until…! BA Mixed-Fleet crew totally spoil the tranquility with all the noise from the double Club/First galleys. Raucous laughter, shouting, loud crew room chat, slamming every cupboard door. Complaining to the CSM has a magical effect … for five minutes, then off they go again. Total,lack of consideration for the premium passengers.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m afraid the A380 is suffering the same fate as the VC10, Concorde, F27’s and others……
    American indifference caused by jealousy, and I’ve no doubt protectionism to protect its own manufacturers. And after today I’m sure it’s going to get worse.

Not one US long haul carrier opted for the most comfortable plane in the Sky.
    Sadly, the country that gave us the magnificent 747 also realised that you can cram as many people into a 777 and squeezei your profit margin by inflicting severe discomfort into their greedy proposition.

It seems USP’s are just no longer important in the airline industry.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

TiredOldHack2 – Agree with you regarding the VC-10 (and especially the Super VC-10 which was even quieter aloft).

Unfortunately one of the issues with the VC-10 on transatlantic routes was its range. Its maximum range was London-Chicago. This meant the VC-10, unlike its B707 rival, was unable to fly the lucrative routes between London and the US West Coast nonstop.

In the late 1960s BA used to operate the Super VC-10 from London right through to Sydney via the Pacific. But it had to stop in New York en route for Los Angeles.

openfly – The A380 is so quiet that, some years ago, Emirates’ crew were complaining they couldn’t get any rest because of noisy passengers.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/airbus-to-help-emirates-pilots-sleep-after-crews-find-a380-39too-319698/

Ahmad
    Participant

[quote quote=786924]
    openfly – The A380 is so quiet that, some years ago, Emirates’ crew were complaining they couldn’t get any rest because of noisy passengers.

[/quote]

Reminds me of dialogue from a 1970’s movie in which on entering a non-secure public place and being asked to remove his cuff links, wristwatch and other sundry metal items, POTUS remarks to his security chief:

“It might be an appropriate time to remind you that the Secret Service was created for the President, not the President for the Secret Service.”

PS. Every now and again BA crew also needed to be reminded of this…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Didn’t CharlesP have the inside track on a triple deck, 6 (or 5 in the photo) engine version?

Flightlevel
    Participant

They’re still selling it only for high density routes and limited capacity airports when its perfect for very long range routes in comfort in business AND economy if they use the 11 across capability and economy plus 38 inch, it has 500+ capacity and everyone gets a good sleep!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I believe in an all economy version with 11 across seating, about 900 pax can be seated.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Flightlevel – By “selling it” are you referring to the A380 manufacturer ? Or the airline’s seat inventory ?

I ask, because no airline has yet purchased an A380 with the 11-across economy configuration.

Maybe you referring to the 2-class version which Emirates now operates ?

The 2-class A380 (in Emirates configuration) accommodates 615 passengers.

Emirates A380: What you need to know

AMcWhirter
    Participant

LP – Correct. The French leisure airline Air Austral did order two 840-seat A380s. No information was made available regarding the seat configuration.

But Air Austral cancelled its A380 order last year.

http://atwonline.com/airbus-a380/air-austral-cancels-order-two-airbus-a380s

MrMichael
    Participant

I was chatting with a chap today about the airbus A380 and it not being used on high density short routes. I understand the issue of frequency, but another dimension he put in was the number of cycles (take off/landings) the plane makes. Could be the aircraft would “age” so fast that utilising regularly for short haul makes it wholly uneconomical to purchase in the first place.

Ahmad
    Participant

@MrMichael,

Could be. But EK has been rostering it on the 2 hour DXB-JED sector for years now. If I am not mistaken, they fly the A380 twice a day on this route these days.

Ahmad
    Participant

Slight correction to my previous post. Just checked the EK website, it is a 777 thrice a day these days but April onwards it is the A380 not twice but thrice a day!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls