Accorhotels in talks to buy Movenpick

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

MarcusGB
    Participant

Hi Mark.

Thank you for this information.
    Accor appears very active in thi,s and many other areas the last few years, keeping to their strategy.
    I am a Shareholder and Platinum member, so take an interest on the ground, as well as in their Company, strategy and operations.

In the last 4 years, The Accor Group, have been selling off their properties, on the basis they are re-leased for “X” years 20-30+Years, by the new owners, and under Brand Management input. A Clever strategy, leaving them more visible, expanded, as even one hotel can opt in under one of their brands.

Their Booking Portal offers a huge range of hotels, which incorporates other localised hotel groups, reducing 5-10% for Club members and often Worldwide sales for the personal buying customer. This is cutting off the “middle Man” business wise, many on line agents, with Club Member deals, and a constant stream of acquisitions Worldwide.The owner of one small hotel, can be branded by Accor, and their platform for bookings enhanced hugely
    Hotel invest too,which has also been partially sold off now, and luxury vacations style US Concepts!

They have purchased hotel groups in Australia, Sebel (Built the new Sofitel Darling Harbour), pending others in Australia, where demand is very high, and same in ###in Asia also. Swissotel, Raffles, Mantra, and now ? Movenpick. However they leave these groups as they are, Post Branding interestingly enough, not re-named many, nor placed them in a brand, their Company into the Accor holdings. These tend to be in the 4/5 star High market,
    At the same time during my travels and hotel stays with them, have refurbished many directly owned hotels, to a more clever Contemporary a feel about them.

Clearly cash rich, and the future risks and property costs, proving a clear and successful strategy for the future.
    One of the many aspects like about Accor, is from a basic Motel style, through the Middle ground of Ibis, Novotel, Mercure, M Gallery, Sofitel, and beyond. Historical buildings outside of towns and in more rural settings to city and towns, and interestingly at Airports.
    They offer a very Broad something range and style, and high standards Worldwide

Club Accor benefits at Gold and Platinum level, expand across greater parts of the World, and not only reflect a warm welcome but great added value when staying with them. Room upgrades, early check ins 9am.5pm, welcome drinks and a voucher during the stay, free facilities or discounts on others, discountPrivate Sales and extra points Promotions members st

I hope they will reflect this in the dividend this year, as they are performing very well.
    It is good to see one Hotel group so full of new ideas, a strong expanding Customer base, constant reliable stays, and a genuine welcome wherever you stay Worldwide.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I agree with that, especially the bit about how Accorhotels leaves the brands they have purchased alone.

It’s a deliberate strategy, and when I spoke to the CEO he mentioned it, saying he lost out on synergies when doing so, but unlike other big brands who completely absorb the acquisitions, he felt it was worth the extra costs.

esselle
    Participant

MarcusGB

I am also a big fan of what the Accor group does. Your list of its brands needs to be expanded to include Pullman, which I think does the quality business hotel thing extremely well, and Fairmont. The latter joins Le Club later this year, offering even greater variety for those holding Platinum status.

Dominic Ellis
    Participant

And would you believe it, a minute later!

AccorHotels has today announced that it has signed an agreement with Mövenpick Holding and Kingdom Holding to acquire Mövenpick Hotels & Resorts, for a cash amount of CHF560 million (€482 million).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls