Accor: recognition of guests

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

• Anonymous

starflyer
    Participant

So Accor seem to have realised that recognition of guests is important:

http://asia.businesstraveller.com/asia-pacific/news/accor-plans-aggressive-expansion-in-Asia-Pacific

“What has come through our research is the clear need to focus on the customer experience. It doesn’t matter how generous a loyalty programme is with points – the corporate guests, especially, want recognition. They want to be greeted when they arrive in the hotel. They want to see the general manager; they want him to understand their needs. “

Well if Accor are serious about this they should have a good look at A-Club and what they are offering to their elites and how little recognition we tend to receive at Accor hotels. Mr Wilson might be well advise to pay a trip to FlyerTalk to see what we really want. And I don’t want to see the general manager, if I do, something has already gone seriously wrong.

If they want to understand the needs of corporate travellers they should dispatch a lurker to the Accor forum. It would save them thousands wasted on focus groups and research.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I agree, starflyer.

Accor a-club is not a very good loyalty scheme, once you reach Gold (easily done after just 10,000 points) it is a step change to get to Platinum (25,000 points) and there is little differentiation in terms of benefits received between the two.

On top of that, while Sofitel do go the extra mile to recognise gold elites, with free net access and gifts (usually a bottle of wine – not so great if you don’t drink) plus late check out, the rest of the accor group gives very little in the way of recognition and there are very few promotions which are accessible on corporate rates.

Plus their website appears to have been designed by a moron.

For my sins am currently platinum based on nights-stayed with marriott, priority club, a-club and gold in starwood and hilton – accor is by far the worst both in terms of ease of earning and value when burning loyalty points, and also fails to differentiate gold from platinum members; their hotels are excellent, but the loyalty scheme has a way to go yet.

http://www.a-club.com

NTarrant
    Participant

I to have to agree with both of you Starflyer and VK. I was once a very big fan of the Accor group and held an Accor Favorite Guest card for quite a number of years.

They certainly don’t need to spend money on focus groups, as Flyertalk has many incidents. I waited 11 months for points from a stay in DXB, four months for a stay in HKG and three months for a stay in MAN. The change over from Accor Card to A-Club was a joke. Their customer services centre in France of course is also a joke.

I still have an A-Club Gold card, although not sure why as I only stayed a few nights last year at one of their hotels. It is a real shame as most of the hotels are really good even the Ibis. Hilton and Priority Club get my business now with Accor coming in at third choice when it was my first.

continentalclub
    Participant

I am still, believe it or not, yet to receive a single, solitary point from A|Club for any stay at the Sofitel T5, beginning August 2008 and despite, on each and every occasion of check-in, verifying that my details are in the booking.

Every booking was on a public, revenue rate; every one has the same address and contact details in it.

More recently, I’ve had cause to deal with Accor central reservations for a group booking. Each interaction left me crouching, rocking on my heels and sucking my thumb in the corner of my office.

Such a shame, as the properties are so often quite superb.

continentalclub
    Participant

Well, blow me down with a feather!

This morning I see that my points have arrived from a stay last Saturday night. Perhaps the Accor worm has turned….

NTarrant
    Participant

Don’t get too excited, that is just to lul you into a false sense of security!

continentalclub
    Participant

Cynic that I am, I fear that you might be right, NTarrant!

Poached salmon salad for lunch, I think.

MarcusUK
    Participant

I received a Platinum Card for Accor, (via my KLM FB), around 18 months ago.
    So took the opportunity to use the group, & had great difficulty getting points from certain hotels. I was told some were not even linked up at the time to do so.
    In the renewal period Sept 09, platinum members were downgraded, ( with my stays 36 nights), & the whole system was a mess. Hotels would not recognise memberships at all, & new cards with the problems being corrected, did not happen until January this year.
    They have not extended or explained or replied to many complaints.

A-Club is quite a mess, any offers or % discounts offered, or “10 Euro’s off / 500 points ” for booking on line etc simply do not happen.
    It was badly designed, the site connection to the reservations system broken, & often the on site situation meant a manual sending of stays.

Not so bad for redeeming at 2,000 points for Euros 40 voucher, compared to other Hotel memberships.

However, all the changes made recently by the major Hotel Schemes, I have given up considering the rewards. The perks as you arrive, upgrades, lounge access, welcome gift, are valuable.
    Sofitel, I agree, always receives you well, & the perks & upgrades make a big difference in a high quality hotel. (have stayed regularly in Budapest, Amsterdam, Lisbon).
    The New Ibis brand (as at Amsterdam Centrum), is more contemporary & Novotels always offer a good up to date feel, as well as value.

However, the A-club needs to be sorted out…and extensions or keeping members for another year important, as we were unable to earn for 3 months this one. But that is common sense…?
    Otherwise, they will lose our business…

NTarrant
    Participant

Even in the Accor card days there were difficulties with getting points at some hotels. I was at one time lucky in that I stayed at the same hotels and having points added was not a problem. But stay in a different hotel and that could be different.

Part of the problem with A-Club is that it is administered in France, which might be fine in mainland Europe but certainly not good for the UK.

The Ibis at Amsterdam, Mark is that the one by the railway station? I stayed there on a number of occasions and the rooms were a bit on the pokey side.

continentalclub
    Participant

There’s nothing wrong with a little pokey in Amsterdam.

Pad Thai today.

NTarrant
    Participant

Indeed you are right CC, as a colleague and I were walking along besides a canal one evening a guy approached us and said he had a show for “decent perverts”!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Sofitel now sponsors the BT newsletter so will be interesting to see whether this thread comes to their attention.

A rather exceptional crab and grapefruit salad for lunch.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

VK – whats your secret, how do you get so much time to contribute to this site (so effectively I hasten to add) when you are meant to be filling that belly of yours in the pointy end of AEROPLANES so frequently. The otehr day you said you had 2 sectors, yet you nearly beat your daily record for posts. What the secret VK – time management or are you a walking web connection…………..;?

MarcusUK
    Participant

NTarrant. apologies late reply, been away in Australia for several months…

Yes the Ibis at Centraal station Amsterdam, they connected the old hotel at the front facing the Multi story bike park), with a brand new wing.
    It looks directly down over the station, & the harbour, probably one of the most striking hotel views in the city of the main harbour now, apart from the Movenpik.
    The rooms are the refurbished upgraded Ibis, flat screen tvs etc, more fresh feel, & better than the other side. You will always get these as an Accor card holder. They have a nice nw bar & lounge with evening meals available. Rates are as low as Euro 60, (with their sales) per night, with a great location, basic but high quality.

I stayed in a Novotel in Phuket on my return from Australia last week, (VAustralia fly direct to Phuket so a nice stopover option), & was greeted by the Manager & every detail was seen to for my stay. I had one of the best 5 beach front rooms, 10 steps into the sea, stunning views.

I also hold a platinum Accor card.
    Recently the group have sent out promotion emails & had sales either 3 nights for 2 or buy one get one free at Sofitels, MGallery’s (such as the x-Sofitel in Amsterdam now The Convent), & Novotel’s.

Travelling frequently to Amsterdam with flights booked ahead ,I made 5 bookings for 2-4 night stays ahead, from as little as Euros 60 at the Convent, pretty amazing for this quality & style of hotel

Have always had a room upgrade at Sofitel, Lisbon, Budapest, Amsterdam, executive lounge access perks where available, complimentary wine or fruits, Manager’s letter welcoming me, & been well received. In this respect i think the A-Club is working well.

There is a fair redemption of miles or points earned these days also, so in that regard it is running with one of the most perks & rewards for most hotel groups.
    They got off to a pretty bad start though & the first yr renewal of A-Club, cards were downgraded & not re-issued for 3 months!

Sofitel certainly would be my choice around the World for a more contemporary, elegant & personalised city stay. Certainly for weekend breaks & leisure, they make a stay a really exceptional treat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls