Aberdeen to introduce £1 drop-off fee

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

• redwoods
    Participant

Big thread on this over on Flyer talk, including direct feedback from Airport commercial director:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1624788-abz-introducing-drop-off-charges.html

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Have to agree with you Harry.

Sorry Speedbird, it is the money, not the principal!

canucklad
    Participant

The management at ABZ have finally allowed their green eyes to rule their greedy piggy bellies. It probably won’t be too long till they implement the 5 minutes rule and charge you a £5 to escape their car park. Hold your head in shame EDI.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Canucklad +1

MrMichael
    Participant

Just like Bournemouth Canucklad, an Airport I will avoid through sheer principle and my own bloody mindedness.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Bear in mind that Aberdeen airport’s controversial £1 drop-off fee takes effect from tomorrow, Wednesday January 7.

http://www.aberdeenairport.com/about-us/media-centre/press-releases/news/2015/airport-parking-changes-to-launch/

Charles-P
    Participant

And no doubt about 24 hours later people will discover the nearest hotel, McDonalds, petrol station forecourt etc in which to drop off people.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

As a protest everyone should stop buying anything from the shops, duty free (if there is one) and so on. And let the retailers know why you’re not buying anything. The airport would then lose far more than the £1 they seem so intent on grabbing.

Charles-P
    Participant

LuganoPirate – fully agree.

I read recently of a town in France that was forced to back down on parking charges after a consumer boycott that made clear to local shopkeepers why the town was being ignored. The mayor was forced to change the policy very quickly.

canucklad
    Participant

LP……Spot on, as I’ve said before, as consumers we have the most powerful weapon at our disposal. Alas, we rarely use it, especially , here in the UK

peter19
    Participant

Another article highlighting some FAQ’s

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/local/all-you-need-to-know-about-aberdeen-international-airport-s-new-parking-charges-1.773157

” What will happen to the money you collect?

In the first instance the money collected will be used to recoup the costs of installation. Through the project, 10% of everything collected will be put back into CSR projects, allocated at the end of each year.”

I wonder what projects these are and how much the installation and management of the system actually costs. Additionally the cost of the independent review that was done in the first place!

Charles-P
    Participant

“In the first instance the money collected will be used to recoup the costs of installation”

Words fail me !

HarryMonk
    Participant

LP

I agree with you. However, just boycotting the stores and verbally telling them I don’t think is enough, the counter staff will just shrug their shoulders. It needs a website where a flyer can be printed off and handed to staff at the airport stores, not necessarily just ABZ, to pass on to their management which explains why you will not be spending any money at their store. With enough of these flyers in their hands, store managers or head office might kick up a stink with airport operators

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Great idea Harry, but I fear that as Canucklad says, very few will bother and most will just pay up and shut up!

MrMichael
    Participant

CharlesP, the French town should not have backed down over parking charges. As I work in the transport/parking sector I find it alien that people think supplying parking is free. I offered to a group once that I would offer free parking one week, the shops should offer free shopping the next and see which attracts the most people. Parking costs money to supply and should be paid for by those that use it.

Drop off fees are a different matter, I had quite a spat with Bournmouth Airport over the matter and vowed never to use the airport again….ever. The whole concept of charging people to bring pax to their business seems nuts to me…a scam even. Tell them where to stick their £1 and drop them at Maccydees. While there have a burger and save even more money as it will probably be cheaper than the airport concession food.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls