AA’s Awesome A321

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

NIRscot – not sure whether you are talking about automatic upgrades for frequent fliers (which isn’t completely automatic, I think, although they do get upgrade certificates) or whether you are talking about people with international business class tickets being bumped up to First on domestic connections – the latter is because there is no business class on domestic flights EXCEPT the transcontinental services which are the only three-class domestic services – and there you wouldn’t get such an upgrade, you would simply go in the business class cabin.

Swissdiver – as you can gather from the above, the only three-class services are the transcontinental ones – all others are economy only or economy and first (where first is, frankly, rubbish – a bit like Club Europe)

I look forward to seeing the new fleet – at the moment my upcoming domestic flights on AA (next month) are on a mix of Embraer (cringe) and clapped-out MD80s (sigh)

VintageKrug
    Participant

The MD-80s are horrific and the main reason I avoided AA, though thankfully not long for this world.

The burgers in the AA lounges are actually quite palatable, though only to be consumed in cases of dire need. They are preferable to the overpriced bread-overloaded excuses for sandwiches which are available in many terminals.

Senator
    Participant

Dear all,

I recently travelled from Newark (EWR) via Miami (MIA) to Curacao (CUR) and back on AA in Domestic F and Caribbean C (same thing, different name for this market. Makes a difference in BAEC Tier Points though). For the low price of US$ 485 I accumulated 200 BAEC Tier Points for my four segments which makes it a nice bargain.

It was a tale of two airlines; my 06:15 flight to MIA was ok, with a decent breakfast and good crew on a newish B737-800. One of the gents working in the front was a rather nice Scotsman which obviously made a difference 🙂

My second leg from MIA to CUR departing around 10:40, was functional at best with poor choice for lunch (mine ran out). Decent aircraft with the newer F seats (B737-800). Some empathy for senior cabin attendant who came running from a flight from Caracas (CCS), his sixth consecutive day working 12 hours.

My real gripe was the 07:15 departure back to MIA. The crew looked like they literally rolled out of bed, and drank a litre of vinegar for breakfast. Food was awful, choice of Corn Flakes with milk, or Corn Flakes with milk. Perhaps poorest premium experience I’ve had, with staff more concerned about reading a book than serving customers on this newish B737-800.

However, it all ended well with a senior crew taking us to EWR on a “mature” and old B757-200 with old style cradle seat. The jokes kept coming, light humour, decent meal, top notch crew that did not stop working the cabin until we land. Restored some faith in AA after the previous disaster.

Having now done eight segments in premium on AA over the last year or so, I agree with VK that UA is a better option, specially on a pre-merger CO aircraft with exCO crew.

In regards to the AA S80s (MD80s) I have never been on any. Contrary, to VK I am however, one that is sad to see SK’s MDs being shipped off. There is no better inter-Europe premium seat than 1D on an old SK MD-80, and the aircraft is so smooth and so comfortable in the air. An era I will miss.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Senator, you might feel a little less comfortable on an AA MD-80. I am not sure when they were brought into service, but they don’t look as though they have been refurbed since day one (and day one was clearly a long, long time ago!)

Senator
    Participant

Thanks Ian_from_HKG, it is probably like the B757-200 I was on. Too bad I can’t post any pictures here 🙂 it was a bit run-down, with older CRTs coming down from the ceiling

IanFromHKG
    Participant

You had CRTs? Luxury… The AA MD-80 does without such unnecessary fripperies

You can get a glimpse of the interior (when it was clearly a lot fresher than they all are now) here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/ourPlanes/boeingMD80.jsp

Senator
    Participant

Ian_from_HKG, looking at the image you supplied, the B757-200 is actually worse than the Super-80s (S80 is the term used by AA internally I am told).

I’ve been looking for images for this, and I found this report from a chap in Oz:
    http://www.aussieflyer.net/2011/01/going-for-platinum-part-9-miami-to.html

If I am not mistaken, these are exTWA B757-200, part of the Chapter 11 in Jan, 2001 allowing AA to take over the assets

IanFromHKG
    Participant

As I recall, the MD-80 seats are pretty similar to the ones shown in that review – but the MD-80 doesn’t have any entertainment at all – not even audio – so I still think you were better off in the 757!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls