AA will not get my business…ever again

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)

• GarethForster1
    Participant

Better still, id love the Americans to try flying Emirates, their lounges are the best in the business, top class food buffet and the best of Champagne freely flows! They can be used not only in Dubai but in all of Emirates worldwide lounges. well done Emirates!

GarethForster1
    Participant

Better still, id love the Americans to try flying Emirates, their lounges are the best in the business, top class food buffet and the best of Champagne freely flows! They can be used not only in Dubai but in all of Emirates worldwide lounges. well done Emirates!

GarethForster1
    Participant

Senator
    Participant

Dear all,

I have seen this post, and I wanted to offer a slightly different point of view as I have memberships in multiple US programmes in addition to my BA, LH, and AF European cards.

Our US friends have always been given other perks for their loyalty to the airline. For most of us European based travellers we cherish and expect access to lounges. I am not sure if our US friends do. What they expect however, are free upgrades. So, if you look at US programmes this tends to be the biggest perk – free domestic First class upgrades. Additionally, “System” upgrades are awarded allowing Gold/Platinum members free upgrades on several long-haul flights a year. Let me give you another example: when I was UA Premier Exec (Star Gold) I lived in Germany and travelled to Denver three times a year. It would cost me roughly the same in miles as I would earn on the round trip to upgrade via my IAD or ORD routing.

As our flights in Europe tend to be less than 2hrs, the upgrades may not seem to important. Now, think of NYC Area to Miami is 3hrs, then an upgrade is important.

Honestly, if free lounge access is what the US based travellers expected even with First ticket then I think it would have been done. There are some odd discrepancies however. By the looks of it; if you are on transcontinental flights from the NYC area airports to West coast airports like SFO, LAX, SEA you tend to get lounge access if you fly in Business or First. I know that UA and AA offer access to First lounges for those passengers.

So in conclusion: different perks provided in different markets. Simply put.

Happy travel!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hello Senator

Another excellent post, I always enjoy reading your contributions.

If indeed it is a case of different perks for different markets, I think it goes a long way to explain how fickle the American system of travel rewards is marketed and the products themselves are presented.

First Class conjours up the image of top level service, space, high quality ammenities, luxury, food and drink of the highest order + where airtravel is concerned, access to a lounge with free wifi.

The fact is that in the USA, 90% of First Class tickets (I exclude some coast to coast red eye’s where this is not the case) entitle the passenger to nothing more than a solitary sandwich, no lounge access and seats that perhaps match European premium economy levels leaves the question how on earth the Americans get away with their product descriptions.

It seems that the typical Amercian attitude is more about the branding (First Class) than the product offering. Meaning that as long as you are first line, and you have a “First” boarding pass, smiles all around.

I have just been looking at some internal flights in the USA and the prices quoted vary between $1000 down to $150 for a one hour flight. What extra’s do you get for that $850, may be a flexi ticket, thats it, but its cheaper to buy 2 or even 3 refundable or partially refundable economy tickets.

The only other benefits are first to board, 2 x 2 seating. Lucky if you get a drink and certainly there will be no meal service.

American internals are all about status and certainly not service. I believe that the airlines take advantage of passengers – otherwise how could any rational person choose to pay so much more for so little less.

RHMAngel
    Participant

On the exam title of this thread, I would have to agree.

I just returned (code share unfortunately) with AA, and never again. I will look doubly hard to stay with the original ticketed airline on the return journey.

Attitude of staff, dire plane and layout (curtain only, hello the 70s have gone…). I have one good thing to say, and that was the cheerfulness of one flight stewardess.

First and last time customer from me for AA. I’m not writing anymore, because it would be full of impolite banned words and I may be still jetlagged.

stevescoots
    Participant

RHM, I am also still lagged out. I was glad i got the BA flight back to LHR instead of AA, it wasnt perfect but such a relief!

I will post my BA review on my original round world thread later tonight. right now i am rebooking my next trip, I was due to go LHR-SD-ORD-LEX-Houston-HKG-LHR on BA and AA, now trying to dump all the AA parts. My agent is going to love me!

Bullfrog
    Participant

My limited experience with domestic Business Class in the US has always been a positive experience with Continental. Far better than American & a notch above Delta.

Senator
    Participant

MartynSinclair,

Thanks for the kind words.

In regards to pricing, please note US carriers have successfully increased prices 7 times in 2011 due to increase in fuel. Pricing on some routes are dreadful, including the coast to coast. Discounted First tend to be cheaper than flexible Econ on most cariers.

I have done some major investigation on fares for the US market as I am planning a trip to LA and Denver in September. From my market, I have discovered something really interesting:

LAX and SFO from ARN is not bad with any carrier. Roundtrip in business start around £2200, some carriers wíth £200 change/cancellation fees. BA/AA is none-refundable I am afraid.

However, the big “deal” is this: Star Alliance carriers including LH, SK, UA, CO, AC will offer you Z-class fare with two stop overs. So, in my case I get ARN to LAX return with stopver in DEN and NYC for £2200. I can’t get the same on BA/AA. So the key for US travel beyond point-to-point is to use Star Alliance for me. This way I can get “First” included on the US segments for “free”. I can recommend the AC, CO, and LX seats in business.

VintageKrug
    Participant

You can get these equivalent fares booking so called K-UP fares on AA domestically.

Far too complicated to go into here, but well worth googling.

stevescoots
    Participant

As a footnote and as comparison, The BA lounge in Philly allowed two Qantas siver holders flying Eco to use the lounge

A big differance compared to AA policy.

Senator
    Participant

Dear VK,

I have looked at the AA K-UP fares and seen that al least UA/CO if not others offer the same. My option would be to buy one ticket ARN-LAX and DEN-ARN on BA as open jaw, and a one-way K-UP from LAX to DEN on AA. This is more expensive, and provide no flexibility compared to the Star option.

So my verdict is that value for money with stopover in the US, the Star offer is significantly better than the One World offer. Whilst I enjoy BA CW, I don’t think it worth 30-35% more than LX business class.

kevincharley
    Participant

Aww diddums. Get a grip man. Oh, and learn how to spell. I can’t abide people who rant over perceived imperfections when they are somewhat sub-standard themselves.

stevescoots
    Participant

kevin, I assume that quip at spelling was aimed at myself?

At least VK adds some true sarcastic British wit to his reposte.

you must forgive me, I am failing to see the connection between a poor product and ones own ability to type or indeed operate a spell check. however whilst i can muster a jolly fine Gin and tonic my inability to mix an excellent daiquiri would have more of a connection to services offered in a hopitality lounge, should my peers feel the need to counter one deficiancy against another.

PatJordan
    Participant

Kevin,

I note this your first post in this forum.

Welcome to (what I believe is) a very well informed and friendly group of individuals.

Yes, there are views expressed with which I disagree. Similarly others disagree with my views. This is freedom of expression, based on mutual respect.

To launch a personal attack on somebody whose views you don’t share is something most of us cannot abide.

Pat.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls