AA flat beds vs BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• Anonymous

travelwell
    Participant

hi, anyone have a view on AA flat beds from LHR to LAX compared with BA ? I am used to BA flat beds in CW but this time I have to fly with AA and have not experienced their business class seats, what are they like, are the flat and horizontal ? any pictures ? thanks

Falcon7x
    Participant

AA every day of the week, so long as it is the new business class seat. I believe the LHR-LAX route is only on the B777-300 (Please correct me..) which means that you will have the new seat.

I would say that BA First is only marginally better than the new AA Business product. Each seat has direct aisle access, loads of space and completely flat.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/06/review-aa-777-300er-business-class-jfk-london/

Enjoy!

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I have clients who like yourself only went BA Club. 1 try on AA on the 777-300ER and they will only fly AA where they fly instead of BA (provided flight has this plane – small chance can be plane changed for technical reasons).

http://travelsort.com/blog/american-airlines-new-business-class-777-300er-routes

This should show a good picture of the cabin. If you can try and get Row 3 or 4 as mini cabin at the front of the plane behind 1st Class. And keep an eye on check in online for upgrades to first – 2 out of 3 return flights when seats available back from NYC they were offered for £275 / $410.

JFK should be also all 77W but had 1 technical that I have heard of and old plane subbed (which is awful). LAX also all 77W. 1 DFW and 1 MIA are new 77W (777-300ER) – but other flights that day are old product.

Kentflyer
    Participant

All flights operated by AA to JFK, LAX and I believe some DFW flights have the new AA Business class. Unlike the cramped BA CW offering, AA offer a 1-2-1 layout and the product is very similar to that offered by CX and AF. I flew out to LAX on BA and back on AA. The BA seats are smaller, older and the food offering was better on AA too. Where possible I would always fly the new AA business class over BA. With direct aisle access for everyone, it wins hands down. The lounge offerings with AA may not be up to the BA product, but on board with AA is a winner!

Kentflyer
    Participant

All flights operated by AA to JFK, LAX and I believe some DFW flights have the new AA Business class. Unlike the cramped BA CW offering, AA offer a 1-2-1 layout and the product is very similar to that offered by CX and AF. I flew out to LAX on BA and back on AA. The BA seats are smaller, older and the food offering was better on AA too. Where possible I would always fly the new AA business class over BA. With direct aisle access for everyone, it wins hands down. The lounge offerings with AA may not be up to the BA product, but on board with AA is a winner!

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

travelwell – 04/11/2015 16:19 GMT

Having done both, AA every time.

Lots of personal space and privacy, a little suite of your own.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

Window-seat
    Participant

JFK/LAX to LHR the AA hard product is totally superior to BA in every way. The food can be good too but lounges are a joke and I always get the feeling the cabin crew wish there were no people on the plane and it’s like the pilot hates having to talk to you over the PA. For some reason I really like the Pilot talking to you on the PA.

On a AA flight to LA you will be very comfortable with IFE that is also much better than BA.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Window-seat – 04/11/2015 17:18 GMT
    lounges are a joke and I always get the feeling the cabin crew wish there were no people on the plane

That’s V true!

🙂
    Rgds.
    AOTG.

EastCoast747
    Participant

I have only flown J recently with AA but I agree with the sentiments above – lounges pretty poor,uninterested crew,average food but very comfortable seat.
    One consolation is that J can be much cheaper than BA as I have found it quite easy to buy a cheap Coach ticket ($700) here on the US web site and upgrade to J with $350 and 25,000 AA Advantage Miles. Even if you assign a value of $500 to the 25,000 miles that still gives you a RTP J ticket at around $2400. You may not get the upgrade straight away but I have been on a Wait List twice and it came up both times 36 hours prior to departure.
    Edit: Flying 77W JFK-LON-JFK in October

FRANCESCABARNES
    Participant

Falcon7x absolutely agree AA beats BA by miles now and AA’s Business is very comparable to BA’s First.

travelwell
    Participant

thanks for all the useful info and comments. on the leg LHR to DFW are there flat beds in business ? as I might do LHR to DWF onward to OGG (Maui). Anyone done LAX or DFW to OGG with AA in business ? beds or just reclining seats ? thanks

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I agree with all the above posts – the new AA business class is miles ahead of BA’s. However, I am afraid I don’t agree with Tim’s advice about row 4 – the window seats are offset so that they are actually next to the galley.

Also, do not be put off by the poor lounges – remember that oneworld rules allow access to any oneworld-airline-operated lounge of the same class. This means that if departing London (LHR T3) you can use not just the AA lounge but the CX or BA lounge, irrespective of your FFP status. However, the lounges at DFW are very poor (regardless of airline!).

Not only is the seat superior, but the in-flight snack bar on AA is superb, and I have found the food quality generally higher than BA (and the warm nuts and ice cream sundaes deliciously tempting).

Crew – well, consistently inconsistent. So nothing really to choose between the airlines on that front!

Overall, I would opt for AA in a heartbeat.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Don’t forget that the A330 flights into Philly from both LHR and MAN
    also have the excellent 1-2-1 layout.

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

I’m a “thumbs up” for AA too.
    I thought the lounges in LAX and JFK were really nice though – great staff, open spaces, nice ambience.
    Plus, on 6 AA sectors total, I only had one “grumpy old bitch” on the LHR/LAX. The rest were absolutely amazing. One showed me photos of her holiday to Vegas when I was hanging about the bar area – I was heading there eventually – and also some pics of her and her friends in Honolulu (I’m going there on AA next month). On the JFK/LHR flight the mini cabin was empty and the service was the BEST I have ever had on a flight! One crew member even suggested snuggling in beside me when I was turning my bed down. After the copious amounts of “champagne” she had just served me I was tempted!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls