A380s / B787 Dreamliners – flying with different airlines, which do you prefer?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

I saw an Air China -800 (on a tow) at FRA last Wednesday 19th.

Here is the current list from Wiki…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747-8

I thought BA cargo used the -800…

I have my first -400 flight (for at least a couple of years) next weekend to MIA.. and yes I still prefer a good old -400 to a new 380…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

I thought BA cargo used the -800…
    +++++++++

Until last year, GSS operated in BA livery, but IAG folded BA Cargo into IAG and the operation ended.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Haven’t flown in a 787 yet, but have flown in J in a 380 with BA and Qatar. And deliberately arranged next year’s trip to South Africa to fly in the 380, rather than the 747, to Jo’burg, as it is so much quieter and better.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Thanks all for you time and feedback. One of the great benefits on BT is to get so many views from all Airlines and routes across the globe, and a unique measure of people’s views.
    I hope The Airlines take the time to see the many subjects and views they could learn from this forum and intrepid Business Traveller on line, and instant measure globally rather than just the magazine itself.

Thank you BT teams for making this possible and so valuable!

canucklad
    Participant

If flying in Y, I’d definitely recommend EKs front cabin on the lower deck. And now that BA are going to use their 380 to YVR will mean that they are now more likely to be my first pick….

Conversely, QR has blown it with their 787s. Will choose Etihad to EDI to HKG….

WillieWelsh
    Participant

I’ve been on the QR 787 in C and seen the Y seating. If Y on the 787 was my option I would find another route.

The A380 is amazing – been on EK, TG and SQ. The A350 after one sector from DOH-SIN was the best plane I’ve been on.

Tim2soza
    Participant

I have travelled on BA’s 787-8 LHR – AUS in CW. Row 1 outbound daytime and the single middle seat in Row 3 for the night time return, which offered privacy and extra space. A lot less jet lag and tiredness from this aircraft.

I have also travelled on BA’s A380 LHR – IAD in F, Row 1. Much more space than F in the 747 or 777; quieter too.

IAD has really improved with a great lounge and improved security. The train is an improvement on the old bus thingy. A slight annoyance that when you clear customs at IAD, you cannot remain airside to take a domestic flight, so another round of shoe and belt removal is required.

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

No love for the 747-800? Fantastic aircraft (I flew it LAX-FRA) – currently my #1 choice over the Dreamliner and A380.

Have not flown the A350 yet…the next generation 777 with the extended wing tips that can fold up should be pretty “fly”.

-Rave

TiredOldHack
    Participant

RATW – what’s so special and good about the -800? Just curious.

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

It s a refresh of the most majestic aircraft in the sky! I love the 747 and to not have to fly on those old, beat up 747-400 s is a joy. I would say the experience on the A380 is still different, when you feel as if you are hardly on a plane, but I kind of like the feeling of flying when I am onboard. Maybe I am just weird that way.

Also the A380 is one ugly aircraft and the -800 is simply stunning so that also counts for me a bit but maybe not for everyone

Cheers,
    Rave

JohnHarper
    Participant

I’ve been on the LH 748 in F a couple of times. It’s fine as it goes but in terms of noise and cabin atmosphere it’s not a patch on the A380. I’m not bothered what a plane looks like outside, it’s how good it is inside that matters!

MarcusGB
    Participant

I had forgotten i took also the Emirates A380, but a short flight Auckland back to Sydney so i chose Economy.
    It seems we all like the a380, but greatly depends on the style and expenditure, that adds the “something special” , that differs one from another experience, At a huge cost naturally, there is a wide variation, mood lighting, seat design, what configuration they have. Many have the lower floor for Economy, but the First tends to be in the nose downstairs.. Thai Airways has a strange mix of Y, premium Y and Business upstairs.
    I do think people like to “have a place to go” so those with a bar have an advantage. Some Airlines have taken the opportunity to create something special on their a380, Private cabins, showers, chefs, and in Etihad’s case “First Apartments”, offering a while new concept of privacy, and enabling great innovation.

In this respect, improvements for All Cabins, and features as mentioned above, give a far better flying experience for all, quieter, more spacious. For the Airlines with the fuel consumption down,and the materials it is made from, offer great savings, and the opportunity to create something new for their own Branding.

I think the A380 we see today is becoming the 747 of tomorrow. We all however, have a fondness of the 744. Likewise, it gives greater capacity for a “slot”, carrying many more, ideal for LHR and other Major World Hubs. where slots are costly or simply all taken and airport capacity full.
    It also appears that there has been a revival in First Class demand and cabins. What we used to have in First is equal or better than what we have now in Business cabins. So, for First the luxury’s are even better, with private suites etc.

K1ngston
    Participant

I did miss a lot on my vacation, well as I have flown most of the Asian 380’s inc BA and EK I can give my take on the comforts and who is better.

BA. Flown in WT+ LHR-LAX have to say the service was excellent made even better by a great crew really looked after us all. Flown J LHR-SIN again great crew and I actually slept 8 hours on a plane for the first time due to the quiteness of the plane and the fact I took a window seat dont know too much about the service as slept through it but what else do you want?

EK. AUK-SYD-DXB-LHR J as stated its a great service and I for one like using DXB over Doha, for me the cheap pretender. Great service good food and the mini cabins as stated suited me.

QR. LHR-DOH Not as good as EK but the plane was brand new and the crew couldnt help me with the IFE quite possible the most complicated device in the air, food good service average

MH: Both J and F I have to say I am a fan of the 380 service KUL-LHR they have had their problems but the crews are generally very good the seat in J is OK but the seat in F is huge the service is literally one on one and the layout of the plane is excellent

SQ: J Typically efficient however I am not a big fan of the large seat they offer its almost impossible to get comfortable in it, but the food and the service is excellent.

I have also flown the Qantas 380 from LAX – SYD in Y and that was so bad I wont and cant even bring myself to mention it here…

In conclusion, BA for a change albeit having not taken the opportunity to upgrade J was the most comfortable, the staff were amazing and my money goes with them, I am flying them again back to LHR from SIN next month and also for Xmas I hope they wont let me down?

TominScotland
    Participant

Just flown LHR – LAX with BA in J. Taking advice from various sources, we opted for Row 53 in the front upstairs cabin – we had chosen the two window sets on either side (not to cramp the style of son and girlfriend!!) and the ying-yang is good for couples on a day flight. The crew were good and the CSD came to speak to me in person (link to another thread). Food was good and very fresh tasting and the second meal is a big improvement on the old afternoon tea service.

The big downer with 53 was galley noise – the crew gossiped very loudly (mature folk, too) and I could hear all of it. It did not upset me but I could not resist a comment on my way through the galley about how cheerful they all were and that the gossip was fascinating. Left them somewhat out of words!! If it had been a night flight, I would not have been very happy…..

In terms of the facility, the front toilets are amazing and would be great if you needed to change on board etc. Seating is fine and we know all about that but the overall layout upstairs gives a feeling of real peace compared to the Emirates’ dormitory!!

LAX arrival was an absolute breeze – about 20 minutes from plane to kerb including luggage collection!!

MarcusGB
    Participant

The fore large bathrooms on most of the A380’s are pretty amazing, with the special feature on some the window, to be actually able to look down on the world as you conduct your own business, X miles high!

I wonder of the wisdom of using these prior to take off though, as they do not appear to be glazed from the outside?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls