A380s / B787 Dreamliners – flying with different airlines, which do you prefer?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

• SamCollins
    Participant

Having avoided the QR 787’s on multiple flights (in Y) and advised them accordingly, I have to say that the A350 flight I took with them was probably the most comfortable Y flight I had – excellent cabin, no big issues.

So looking forward to seeing more A350 carriers in future – it really is a great plane for those of forced to squat in Y. BTW – QR Y on A380 is great – odd that you get some free wifi on the A380 but not the A350.

Corporate-gal
    Participant

In the last 12 months I’ve flown:

EK – A380 business class BKK-DXB-LHR. Love the staggered seating and grabbing the ones nearest the windows as you feel like your in your own little space with you mini bar and fab window views. Love the bar at the rear too, especially if you’re in the main cabin and can’t hear the bar-chatter! Service was exceptional.

QR – A380 business class BKK-DOH. Prefer this layout to EK as it feels more spacious. The bar is absolutely fantastic! Service wasn’t as good as EK, but I guess the QR crew are starting to get used to the size of this thing.

BA – A380 first class LHR-SIN. Love the size and spaciousness of the seating area. Although still ‘open’ sutes, you do feel isolated and private. Food and beverage service were excellent from a good humoured and efficient crew. Flying this again next year LHR-HKG and then SIN-LHR.

TG – A380 first class. Will be flying this in December; looking forward to it having flown their updated 747 F last year. Looks spacious and have already pre-booked my Lobster dinner!

RB – 787 business class. Flown this many times between LHR-DXB-BWN. Although a dry airline the food and beverage service is great. The seats in a 2-2-2 layout only have four rows and are exceptionally spacious with plenty of room in the seat to sleep and sit, and to get over your neighbour if you’re in the window seat.

Love both aircraft. QR A380 has the edge regarding biz class layout, EK has the edge in terms of biz class service. Yet to deterrmine which is the best F between BA and TG until I fly TG in December.

MarcusGB
    Participant

If you like EK, Maybe try the new Business studios, or First apartments on the Etihad A380?
    Tend yo be a better price than EK also. Very contemporary and a more modern flair i find. Still a “Guest” philosophy makes quite an impact, ensuring it remains a boutique Airline in Premium travel.

http://www.etihad.com/en-th/experience-etihad/flying-reimagined/first-apartment/

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Good Morning to all!
    I do not see any comments on ANA or ASIANA! Has anyone PLEASE flown on the A380 with these *A carriers, and any remarks to pass on? We are flying F & J with both carriers before year end, and woud just like to know what to expect. Also in Asia, Air India’s 787 has traffic rights between ICN & HKG. Again any experience of this carrier. All the threads relate to the ME3 and EU carriers.
    Thank you all and enjoy the experience!

sparkyflier
    Participant

Good morning to you flyingcanadian. Just so you know, ANA do not have A380, and have none on order. I do not know about the Asiana products but know they have A380, although not sure if these are operational yet.

Regarding ANA, they do have 787, which again have the very tight seating in Y. A contact of mine flies regularly between SIN & Tokyo, which at 7 hours means has to take economy as his company policy is Y for flights under 7.5 hours. He used to take ANA, which he does like, but has just switched to JAL mainly, with some flights on SQ for Star Alliance mileage.The reason for this was the ultra tight Y seating on the 787 which is now on the SIN route.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Hi Sparkyflyer,
    Thank you. Yes it is the 787 on ANA and the A380 on Asiana. Can you or your colleagues give any feedback on either? J/C on either and F on the A380? (My eyesight is not the best and I just saw x8x and 380). The 787 is NRT-SIN and the A380 is ICN-BKK. I still have time to change my route if otherwise advised. We fly into Asia on AC’s 787, and they fly to both NRT/ICN, so I can change if I receive negative feedback. We normally would connect to SQ A380, but my teen son wants to experiment!
    Happy Flying!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Some interesting comments here.

Just as a thought, I think the 747-800 is on a par with, if not better than the 380. It would be interesting to add this to the list as I’d be curious to hear fellow posters experiences.

Tallinnman
    Participant

JH – “I understand QR are beginning to be concerned that Y passengers seem to be avoiding the 787 and I’m not surprised.”

They’ve found a solution – change their 9 across 777’s to 10 across and therefore equally as bad as the 787.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Tallinnman +1

That is one way of putting it! They have obviously given up on being a comprehensively quality carrier, and just want to be an also-ran.

MrMichael
    Participant

I think QR like the vast majority of carriers know that provided the fare is competitive they will fill the rear of the plane. I predominately travelled econ all my life but am now in a position to treat myself to biz from time to time. I always did some research to ensure I booked a flight that was reasonably comfortable, BA,SQ, TG etc. Most however do not, they just book cheapest and blind and put up with it. That is why the likes of Ryanair have done so well. It is BIZ and First that airlines will compete, the cabins where the pax are likely well travelled and want quality.

MrMichael
    Participant

I think QR like the vast majority of carriers know that provided the fare is competitive they will fill the rear of the plane. I predominately travelled econ all my life but am now in a position to treat myself to biz from time to time. I always did some research to ensure I booked a flight that was reasonably comfortable, BA,SQ, TG etc. Most however do not, they just book cheapest and blind and put up with it. That is why the likes of Ryanair have done so well. It is BIZ and First that airlines will compete, the cabins where the pax are likely well travelled and want quality.

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Good day, LuganoPirate,
    Is LH the only carrier to order the 747-800? I read somewhere that the take-up orders for this a/c were not what Boeing expected, and they were not going to produce anymore!
    The trouble is/was that it came out just about the same time/or before the A380, and even the Dreamliner, with all its initial faults, and carriers held back waiting for these latter 2 aircraft.
    I have flown it with LH in F, if only to use the F lounges in FRA & MUC, and it is quite a comfortable aeroplane. However, I do not know how it rates for fuel economy compared to the new a/c. The original 747s were gas Guzzlers, and many were mothballed in the Arizona desert!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

flyingcanadian –

One other airline using the 747-800 is KE. It operates this aircraft to FRA and is expected to deploy it into LHR next month.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/101642/korean-air-postpones-b747-8-service-to-heathrow

MarcusGB
    Participant

KLM appear to be sitting 4 across in Business Class on their new 787-9, and 9 across in Economy. Space between seats is a mere 41″ in Biz, though they are herringbone, and facing angled towards the window which is better and more private.
    “Economy Comfort” is 35″ seat, and Economy 31″, quite tight.

Why KLM do not catch onto putting in a Premium Economy i do not know! This “Comfort seat” is only a little more room, no different cabin, service or food or benefits, or even any more miles.
    I think this is a poor and obvious mistake.

A recent flight on Thai’s 787-9 had only 3 Biz seats in their new same seat type as KLM.

I wonder if we will be avoiding this KLM plane also?

http://www.klm.com/travel/th_en/prepare_for_travel/on_board/seating_plans/787-9.htm

flyingcanadian
    Participant

Alex,
    Thank you. I really only concentrate on *A and also, is this the airline that had the “Peanut” service trouble??
    However, I am glad that at least another airline has taken up options on the B747-800!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls