A380 slow-speed collision

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

• Anonymous

Potakas
    Participant

OK, this tends to be a routine for the A380s.

If I am not wrong this is the third one. This time with a building at Paris AIr Show.

http://arabnews.com/economy/article458178.ece

Regards

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I wonder whether any pictures of the damage will circulate?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

These occurrences are far more common than we think, it’s just that A319’s or B-737’s are less newsworthy than an A380 so when it happens to a “superjumbo” it catches everyones attention, especially as journalists of rags such as the DM seem to love knocking these technological marvels.

Another non event was two planes making emergency landings in Calgary and one having to make an emergency landing due to smoke in Newfoundland (apparently a crew member smoking in their rest quarters setting off the smoke alarm) on the asme day. The only newsworthy aspect was all three planes were Lufthansa! Have not seen any mention of that – yet.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

It does makes “worthy” reading as there are only 50 planes delivered and fewer in services at any one time!!!!!!!!

RichHI1
    Participant

Lugano Pirate I think it is the pilots who are doing the knocking… into buildings and regional jets…
    It raises the thought though are planes now getting too big for current airports without the use of lower taxi speeds or tugs?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I cant believe that a highly trained A380 pilot would have done anything other than “follow the greens”.

Whilst there is a “steering wheel” on both sides, I believe it is the Capt who undertakes the taxying.

Rich your comment stands out – are the aircraft too big or more likely, have the airports been properly prepared??

RichHI1
    Participant

Would not disagree MartynSinclair.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Many airports have to be certified A380 ready with extra wide clearance area before they can receive the super jumbos in their parking stand or have a very very long air-bridge to take the plane far away from the existing gates.

Certain parts of Le Bourget might just be too tight for the A380 to maneuver especially if there were other aircrafts parked in the vicinity and some building structure nearby. Human error no doubt! Try maneuvering a Stretched Limo in a crowded parking lot!!!!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I cant believe that the world’s premier airshow had not got clearance for an A380, especially in its home country! There has to be another explanation – hmmmmm, may be not, we are talking about France!

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

I have worked on several occasions in recent years with some very large French groups in big international events and my general impression was the French are far more interested with prestige than professional organising skills! I hate to generalize but oh la la it was always the case!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I don’t think the plane is too big, since airports have to be A380 capable.. My comment was more that these incidents are more common than we think. We all hear about air crashes, but rarely about bumps and the like.

I think the 380 is a fantastic aircraft, though I have yet to fly in it. I just think it a shame the press pounce on it for every small incident, even if only 50 have been delivered, and yet happily ignore all the other incidents that occur regularly to Boeings.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

The world (or at least the media) loves sensations!

I still continue loving this big bird ever since I took the SQ launch flight.

It’s a class to it;s own!

RichHI1
    Participant

The A380 is something new so it attracts attention as news.
    Back in the late 60’s early 70’s the same was true for the 747 and the Concorde.
    The 787 with its advanced use of non metal construction will be the same as was the A320 with its introduction of fly by wire and glass cockpit.
    As a news item, I do not think the A380 gets unduly negative press.
    My concern over size and Martyn’s subsequent comment about preparedness relates to the efficacy and safety of the airport certification for this large equipment.
    The A380, the Antonov 225 and the 747-8i are probably not the end of the line in Air Transport getting larger. Whilst strengthening taxiways and runways is a predictable quantifiable exercise judging how much clearance a wing or tail needs when viewed from a distant cockpit dependent on changing taxi patterns, poor markings, variable weather conditions and fatigue due to these aircraft being used on long and frequently overnight flights probably requires a more complex analysis and a higher margin for safety. Who would have thought experienced flight crews would tail scrape the 346 but they did.
    That safety could be with tow in gates and taxiing as we see in some airport gates now for heavies or it could be reduced taxi speeds or it may be limited but improved taxiway routes.
    Can anyone shed any light on the nature of the certification process and whether it varies by implementation in different countries or whether it varies between regular usage and air shows?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls