A350 V B787

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

Haveagood1
    Participant

Recent question on which aircraft is more groundbreaking?

Each aircraft has been designed with new technology and various claims made by each manufacturer. As the A350 has only just achieved first flight it is difficult to assess which is the “groundbreaker”. Time will tell when the A350 is also in commercial service. Currently the order book favors Airbus.

travelworld
    Participant

Must confess that I thought the order book favoured the 787 at the moment, but may stand corrected..

BA744fan
    Participant

The order book favours Boeing because the 787 was launched before the A350, and Airbus are still taking regular orders for the A330. Given time the A350 will come into it’s own, especially the -1000 variant.

Swissdiver
    Participant

It seems Boeing went further and dared to take more risk … at a cost so far! This being said, I prefer a plane with a yoke than with a joystick! See what Captain Sully says about it:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-33816_162-57587193/four-years-later-lessons-from-air-france-flight-447/

JohnHarper
    Participant

I think they are different and difficult to draw comparisons on from a technical point of view. I’ve been on the 787 and didn’t find it remarkable.

From a point of view of offering I think the A350 offers a range of products that will slip in nicely between the A321neo and the A380 so I think on that score the A350 is a winner as the range of the 787 offerings doesn’t seem to match up.

Shanwick1249
    Participant

The ‘ground-breakingness’ of these aircraft is really rather irrelevant from a passenger’s point of view – unless or until (in the case of the 787) it really breaks. Most of the big design changes are for the airlines and their accountants, not so much for the pax. With airlines choosing a nine-abreast economy configuration for their 787s, on an aircraft with pretty much the same cabin width as a 767, it’s going to be more of a back-breaking experience for everyone packed inside.

Arriving today, BA’s brand-new 787s have a shocking seven-seat CW layout compared to QR’s four-abreast. That’s pretty ground-breaking, but not in a good way.

Bucksnet
    Participant

The 787 cabin is a lot wider than a 767.

The Qatar 787 is 4 across in business but the seats are angled to squeeze more in, not forward facing.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The A350 has a wider cabin than the B787 so Airbus believes most airlines will go 9-across in Y.

But some will no doubt opt for Airbus’ 10-abreast option for an operating cost advantage.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/picture-10-abreast-a350-xwb-would-offer-unprecedented-operating-cost-advantage-223853/

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Does the A350 have any major new tech or other innovations that the B787 doesn’t? I haven’t seen any reports explaining what they might be. I know they are both made with composites, and I think the B787 is the only one with dangerous… er, I mean innovative … batteries. If there aren’t major innovations on the A350 that don’t appear on the B787, then surely the latter is the more groundbreaking given that it is being delivered some way ahead of the A350?

I know I am showing my ignorance here. Would love my more educated fellow posters to enlighten me!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls