A wonderful Friday evening in BKK

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Earlier in the week I bumped into 2 former hotel guests (who now own property in BKK) in the hotel bar and arranged to have a drink with them last night. During the evening, somebody came up to me from the bar area and had that air of, “I know him, he doesn’t know me look”.

What a small world, it was a former BT Forum member who I had met 5 years ago for lunch in Hertfordshire who is also a regular guest of the hotel. We had never bumped into each other before.

He and his colleagues joined our group and we had a fabulous evening and didn’t even leave the hotel. We were 2 Americans, 1 German and 3 Brits and it was just one of those random evenings, filled with good food, laughter and plenty of alcohol (and of course we sorted Brexit out) – and no work talk….

I can bitch and complain, go to the best restaurants as good as anyone, but my evening last night was one of the best (when away from home) & it could have happened in any hotel bar in any part of the world.

I hope the BT team one day manage to facilitate those that want to meet when down route to have the opportunity of location notification or sharing in a secure manner with other Forum contributors.

Makes a change from moaning about club world, BA and T5… 🙂

Thanks Tom and the BT team…

4 users thanked author for this post.

CrazyCanuck
    Participant

A positive social media story…..the food in BKK is amazing.

1 user thanked author for this post.

BA789
    Participant

Thanks for sharing, Martyn.
    There is no substitute for good company!

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=915638]Earlier in the week I bumped into 2 former hotel guests (who now own property in BKK) in the hotel bar and arranged to have a drink with them last night. During the evening, somebody came up to me from the bar area and had that air of, “I know him, he doesn’t know me look”.

What a small world, it was a former BT Forum member who I had met 5 years ago for lunch in Hertfordshire who is also a regular guest of the hotel. We had never bumped into each other before.

He and his colleagues joined our group and we had a fabulous evening and didn’t even leave the hotel. We were 2 Americans, 1 German and 3 Brits and it was just one of those random evenings, filled with good food, laughter and plenty of alcohol (and of course we sorted Brexit out) – and no work talk….

I can bitch and complain, go to the best restaurants as good as anyone, but my evening last night was one of the best (when away from home) & it could have happened in any hotel bar in any part of the world.

I hope the BT team one day manage to facilitate those that want to meet when down route to have the opportunity of location notification or sharing in a secure manner with other Forum contributors.

Makes a change from moaning about club world, BA and T5… 🙂

Thanks Tom and the BT team…[/quote]

sounds like a good time was had by all!, now and then i am tempted to throw up a post to see if anyone is about when i am in HK,DG or Saigon. I was in the Pier F yesterday morning and with CNY/Tet upon us my workload has dropped to almost zero and whilst I usually use lounge time to catch up on my procrastination tasks I was actually twiddling my thumbs, put a copy of BT on the table to see if anyone would bite haha

capetonianm
    Participant

The world can be amazingly small. A couple of years ago I had dinner with friends in Hout Bay (CPT), and a friend who lives in Johannesburg joined us as he was in Cape Town for the weekend.

In August last year my wife was foolish enough to take our goddaughter to the Notting Hill Carnival, and bumped into the above friend on the train up to London.

Last week I got a message from the same CPT friends with the picture of the Johannesburg gentleman, they had bumped into him in a small restaurant in Port Alfred on their way up the coast to Durban.

A few years ago I was in an internet cafe in Kathmandu and overheard a young South African man on the phone desperately asking his parents to send some money as his wallet has been lost. I got chatting to him and very quickly realised that he lived literally behind us in Cape Town, his parents’ garden backed onto ours. Luckily for him I was pleased to give him some money to help him out and a few weeks later back in Cape Town met his parents for dinner and they settled that small debt.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just this weekend, having been invited by friends (and near neighbours) on the game reserve to dinner, we met two of their French friends who were staying with them. Usual chit chat as to where are you from etc to discover the wife, from Marseilles, not only knew exactly where we lived but was friends with a neighbour and tenant of ours and had visited mnay times. A small world indeed!

Stonemill14
    Participant

Many years ago, I was sat in the lounge at the old Kai Tak (HKG) airport waiting for a flight back to Amsterdam when my own brother walked in. Unknown to either of us, we had both been in Taipei and were both on the same KLM flight. Small world full of surprises

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Many years ago, I went to LHR to check in for a flight LHR-AMS-JNB. When I reached the counter, I was told my booking had been cancelled as a duplicate as they had another person with the same surname and initial as me on the flight to AMS, only he was a she and was connecting to CAI! While I was standing there trying to have my booking reinstated someone came and tapped me on the shoulder. It was my (then unmarried) sister who had the same surname and initial as I. Neither of us knew that the other was even travelling, let alone on the same flight.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls