A very unhelpful email from BA today

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Email arrives from BA informing me of ‘A change to your booking’

Having now read the mail 3 times, I can see no mention of what’s actually been changed – flight times/dates LBA to MEX appear to be the same…..

Just looked again and, there is definitely no explanation as to what has been changed

Strange

Carajillo2Sugar
    Participant

If you changed anything in the booking on ba.com (seat numbers, your cell fone number, home contact details etc etc) that usually generates an email but, as you say, it would be v.helpful if they mentioned what it was!

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Carajillo2Sugar – 10/11/2015 15:40 GMT

I’ve not changed anything at all in the booking……..

I suspected that one of the flight sector times had changed but no, they are the same?

Very odd

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I’ve seen it before where a plane configuration has changed (for example a high density 747 to mid density 747) – and even though you have the same seat number (say on Upper Deck) it still generates the “flight Change” email.

TominScotland
    Participant

This ‘issue’ has been well aired in the past on this Forum. I have certainly raised it – its odd but harmless!!

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

I wonder if the boffins who wrote the business rules for the customer email application has documented and formally retained them to facilitate the review and update of these rules?

I would not be surprised if these business rules were written and implemented off the cuff with no audit trail whatsoever.

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Best thing to do, (assuming you can get through) is to call BA and ask them. Would be interesting to see how they respond.

donkeyasia
    Participant

A similar email situation. Philippine Airlines (PR) sends out emails relating to a change in the flight arrival time for a flight that I am on the same day. In every instance, this relates to an advised earlier arrival than the scheduled time. However and case in point

1. Monday 9th November PR501 – Manila to Singapore departs at 1510, only ten minutes late. Exceptional for PR
    2. All phones are off and no internet available
    3. PR sends an email at 15.17 advising that we will arrive in Singapore early at 18.40. (Scheduled arrival time is 19.00)
    3. We land at 19.25 45 minutes later than advised after the plane has taken off.

The PR explanation on asking why they bother to send a useless email, is “we cannot control it, it is computer generated.”
    It is a wonder we get to our final destination

GivingupBA
    Participant

Seasonedtraveller: over the years I’ve had more than a few emails from BA saying my booking had changed – when nothing had changed at all. It’s disturbing but I’ve finally learned to ignore / delete the emails. As you found, my emails never said what’s changed.

TominScotland
    Participant

In a twist to this one, I too have received e-mails announcing phantom changes to my bookings but the reverse also happens – a failure to notify real changes

We used Avios to book a long weekend in Verons, flying from GLA via LGW. Confirmed and then nothing further and did not think about it as the booking is for February.

Friends who are going with us phoned to say that the second leg had been brought forward to depart before we were due to leave Glasgow…..

I called the BAEC Gold Line and the gentleman was very apologetic, blamed unintelligent computers (probably true) and, as the connection was now not possible, changed the flight to Pisa instead via Heathrow, with which we were very happy. Done cheerfully and efficiently.

Shows the need to check your future bookings periodically……

dutchyankee
    Participant

I have received these type of emails as well from BA, after I have been on one of my bookings, even if I hadn’t changed anything (seats as an example) and the email never indicated what was changed, just that the change had been made. Very odd. That said, I checked my LH booking for later in December only to find out my seats had been moved from the Upper Deck to lower deck, and never received notification of the change from LH. I called them and they said they do not send such notifications as aircraft changes can happen? Luckily I could re-allocate my seats back to the upper deck, but this somehow makes me prefer BA’s approach as any change to your booking either by yourself or by BA, you get notified.

first_class_please
    Participant

I use an app called My Flights (by a Chris Schofield), where I add my bookings and the app regularly checks the bookings and advises of any changes.

As well as time, aircraft and seat changes I`ve also been notified of ‘remarks’ and booking office amendments.

Really very useful app.

dutchyankee
    Participant

@first_class_please – 26/11/2015 11:42 GMT

Just downloaded it. Thanks for that, ill see how it works.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls