A transatlantic pleasure.

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

“Asian carriers could give everyone else some pointers on true service …”

It’s a pity that CX never carried out its plans to fly London-New York. You may recall that some years back, CX planned to operate transatlantic as part of a round the world passenger service.

Can’t see it happening now as it would conflict with its OW partners.

But no matter how good the product quality, any carrier faces difficulty on the transatlantic without the necessary brand identity, corporate business etc.

Even SIA failed to make a go of Amsterdam to New York and Amsterdam to Chicago.

RichHI1
    Participant

LondonCIty does anyone still fly RTW? I know BA/BOAC stopped theirs many eyars ago and obviously PAn AM went years ago. Does UA or anyone else fly all the way on a single flight (Air NZ fly to Auckland via LAX and HKG but they are separate flights).?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Not that I know. ANZ is the only carrier with an RTW routing of sorts. As you know, today’s alliances enable the big carriers to offer RTW routings by linking with one another.

RichHI1
    Participant

But the glamourous days of flying to Tokyo via Honolulu on BOAC must have been something else.

KSHaggag
    Participant

London City !

Yep!..seems AMS was too weak as a source market for SIA to feed their AMS/EWR and AMS/ORD flights ,unlike their FRA/JFK now being served by A380 !!!….seems also the DME/IAH with a 777-300ER is reporting healthy load factors and good yields ….
    SIA covers a RTW with a small gap btw US West and East Coast ,….The Virgin brands altogether can make it with VS ,VA ,VX securing a LHR/HKG/SYD/LAX/JFK/LHR for example ….

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Good point. I’d forgotten about the Virgin group’s ability to offer an RTW routing.

RichHI1
    Participant

KSHaggag that was my point, 2,500 miles might seem a small gap to some but I would not want to walk it. No carriers seem to have a ingle RTW flight any more.
    I think FRA is a big finance center and has a better profie for JFK than AMS.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Sure ..AMS was neither a good market for SIA to EWR and ORD nor for Openskies on AMS/JFK ….!!!..pity !

RichHI1
    Participant

Maybe too easy to fly to LHR and AF/KL means a lot of traffic goes through CDG which has a lot of Transatlantic service.

Vertrek
    Participant

I would say, the Dutch is like the British on this forum, they tend to stick only with their pride, KLM, hence, the pull out of SQ.
    EK is now trying to lure the Dutch market by putting their A380 on DXB and AMS, let’s see how it goes.

Sadly I’ve never flown AA, but for sure will give it a try when I have the chance.

I’ve tried Delta between BOS and JFK and
    as I flew with AF on my transatlantic route, I need not to pay for my check-in luggage. Also, I love the Delta designed BOS Terminal A, I found them very simple and classy. Beside that, the cabin service was non existence as it was a short flight, the seat was good and the hard wind landing when approaching JFK was really smooth, not even a bumped, so overall I was really happy with DL.

Dolphin500
    Participant

It’s great to hear what AA is doing, becuase is the only US airline with a truly First Class Service. I tried recently ORD-LHR was fantastic!! Superb. They know how to treat a person. Food was great..even I got a “lounge wear” to change and relax. WIne selections was outstanding… It really was a First Class Experience. I have been in UL and they are rude… very “old” american attitude…
    THANK YOU AMERICAN for the great experience!!! You are No.1 on my list…at least to fly out/in US.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls