A transatlantic pleasure.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• Anonymous

CXDiamond
    Participant

It’s rare I make a trip to the US but recently I needed to attend a meeting in New York. I made my way from HKG on CX but then returned home to London for a short break.

I have no loyalty on the north Atlantic to any carrier but really only because I’ve read positives here from a poster I respect I decided to try out AA.

Travelling in F, all I will say is that the service was superb from start to finish. At all stages I encountered friendly and personable people who seemed good at anticipating needs and also knowing when to leave you alone. The seat was comfortable, I slept well and the food was tasty, well served and well presented. Amenities were of a good standard too.

Thank you RichHI1, next time I need to cross the Atlantic, I know who I’ll travel with.

RichHI1
    Participant

CXDiamond, I am really pleased you had great flight. Whilst AA are not CX, I think they do a good job. Along with the privilege this site gives enabling you to beat up poor service and praise good, there is a responsibility not to steer readers wrong. I try to take this obligation seriously and mention the good and the bad. It is always a pleasure to help other travellers when you have the experience on a route or carrier.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Is this the first product that’s advertised by Kevin Spacey?

Tim2soza
    Participant

Bucksnet – yes it is.

CXDiamond
    Participant

Indeed but unfortunately I didn’t see him on my flight!

AlexSW1
    Participant

While I will grant that my own recent experience on AA first was quite good, it’s nothing to Cathay Pacific, which is in the premier league of good service in my eyes. I’d choose CP or BA any day over AA. The trouble with US carriers is too often they’re behind on cabin updates, product innovation and, sorry, but while I realise there is general admiration for American-style service, I’ll take good, discreet English or Asian ‘yes sir, of course sir’ service over ‘have a nice day!’ any day.

RichHI1
    Participant

I would agree that CX is a very good airline as are many Asian carriers whose attitudes to service are very different to the West.
    Cannot agree on BA though. It is a pig in a poke, sometimes good, sometimes indifferemt, sometimes terrible. You criticize US carriers for lacking innovation yet BA has delayed its NF roll out and still flies Some very tatty 747’s, 767’s and 777 200’s. I would not refuse to fly BA as it is not bad but in my view AA is more consistent and I find their staff more genuinely interested and helpful. Again some BA staff are really excellent but others… I think BA has a lot in common with UA in that respect.
    I am afraid on BA I am far more used to “sorry about that” than anything else. Id you read the posts on this site I do not see a preference for US service more a mixture of Pro British Service and not so Pro, which is understandable given the high proportion of UK based or originating posters.

CXDiamond
    Participant

I would agree that CX, SQ, MH and TG generally offer something special in the way of service and the western carriers do not compete with the service culture. I think TG are certainly a rising star at present.

I think you most notice the difference when you fly with one of the gulf carriers and the crew is more mixed. Generally the crew from South East Asia shine though I’ve never had poor service on a gulf carrier.

It was my first experience of American and it was definitely a good one. I don’t know to what degree being a OW Emerald helped if at all.

The alternatives were VS which I would not consider while there are are other airlines flying or BA who have an F seat I do not like and totally inconsistent service; one day it’s with a smile and then next it’s with a snarl and the food is not up to F standards.I briefly considered using SQ to FRA and then connecting but it was really the points about American by RichHI1 and their standards and consistency that prompted me to give them a try and I’m pleased I did.

I’ll certainly choose American on the odd occasions I have to cross the Atlantic until they give me a reason not to.

npchuaMY
    Participant

I just wonder, hardly see any comments about CI on this site.

The service of CI business class is as good, if not better, as CX, MH or TG.

KSHaggag
    Participant

CI now being a Skyteam member is worth trying maybe .,….They offer competitive fares from AMS to BKK ….

RichHI1
    Participant

Might be good to post thsi as separate thread? This is about Transtalantic travel, do CI fly transatlantic?

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I don’t often fly transatlantic but FWIW I also choose American when I have to. No, they aren’t up there with SE Asia or gulf carriers but they do offer a consistent product of reasonable quality. Seats are fine, food is good and crews are OK. Lounges, at least when travelling in F are fine.I don’t think anyone beats them on the north Atlantic.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Gentlemen!..as long as we are evoking transatlantic pleasure ,would you kindly share with us any experiences in Business Elite on DL s B767-400ER revamped seats ,on the services between LHR and JFK,BOS ,MIA ( previously ) ???,…..interested to hear about it !..thanks !

RichHI1
    Participant

HT as posted many times I favour AA too transtalantic and agree some Asian carriers could give everyone else some pointers on true service.
    What I find refreshing in your post is the use of the word “consistent”. For me consistency is as important as quality. Across the Atlantic AA have put a lot of effort into this and I always say to people what I do not want on a long flight is a surprise. I like to know what I am going to get.
    I know there is one poster who has a 100% consistency in their travel on British Airways but my experience across the Atlantic is none of the others are anywhere near as consistent in delivering what you expect.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls