A tale of two lounges

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

Two lounges were due to open at LGW today

– BA
    – VS Clubhouse

Congratulations to VS for opening a very nice new clubhouse.

As for BA, the less said, the better.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

No change there then!!

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

I am due to travel BA out of Gatwick in the next few weeks. Any news on when their lounge at the South Terminal will finally open?

ThomasCox
    Participant

Mr. Cruz has delayed the opening while BA install turnstiles charging entry into the toilets and refit the buffet bar with an M&S Food-to-Go concession

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=787912]I am due to travel BA out of Gatwick in the next few weeks. Any news on when their lounge at the South Terminal will finally open?

[/quote]

Cedric, there is no firm date yet, but hopefully it won’t be too long.

They have arranged what looks like two acceptable alternatives, in the meantime.

esselle
    Participant

The delay in delivery of Merolest is behind the setback on opening. There was to be a glass on offer for allcomers as a special welcome.

icenspice
    Participant

Oh, esselle. Fond memories of my first sample skiing in Bulgaria ?

JohnHarper
    Participant

esselle, presumably the Merolest was to be an opening day treat, after that all drinks will have to be paid for with either cards or Avios points! Seating will also be segregated, park benches are included in access but anything with a cushion on it will cost £10 for thirty minutes renewable at £15 for the second thirty minutes and £20 for the third because BA did some research which demonstrated that most people did not want to linger too long in the lounges so they could get back to what the airport is really about which is of course shopping.

openfly
    Participant

So, have BA given an opening date? I doubt whether there will ever be a south terminal BA lounge as Gatwick premiums don’t matter to BA!

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

I for one used to enjoy the Galleries lounge in Gatwick North. It rather invites the standard reproach about piss-ups and breweries that the new South lounge has failed to open when this has been some eighteen plus months in the planning and execution – particularly when others have managed to cope with this timeframe. Beyond that, if my recent experiences LGW-FCO-LGW are anything to go by, perhaps BA’s LGW management has decided that they do need to do something to address the clear perception in certain quarters that they are not that bothered about their premium passengers.

It would be interesting to hear from BA insiders what news or views there are on this.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=787966]The delay in delivery of Merolest is behind the setback on opening. There was to be a glass on offer for allcomers as a special welcome.

[/quote]

I understand that the Merolest ws the problem, but not as you think.

On delivery to the F lounge, a clumsy porter dropped a bottle and and it rolled into the Club section, shattering against the wall and dissolving it and some structural steel supports.

Engineers are now decontaminating the area and splicing in some new steelwork to repair the damage, so that a new wall section can be put in place and painted.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

FDOS:

I have tried Googling “Merolest” without success. Just what it this stuff that is capable of dissolving walls and structural steel supports? From the structural damaging properties you’ve set out, this sounds akin to neat sulphuric or hydrochloric acid – and not something that I would wish to imbibe anytime soon.

Can someone point out just what I am missing here, possibly including my stomach lining?

TominScotland
    Participant

AnthonyDunn, the BA Apologists are being funny!! Maybe we should call them, collectively, Vintage Merolest…

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=788072]FDOS:

I have tried Googling “Merolest” without success. Just what it this stuff that is capable of dissolving walls and structural steel supports? From the structural damaging properties you’ve set out, this sounds akin to neat sulphuric or hydrochloric acid – and not something that I would wish to imbibe anytime soon.

Can someone point out just what I am missing here, possibly including my stomach lining?

[/quote]

Antony

It’s a dual purpose fluid that can be used as an area denial tactical weapon in armed conflict and is also suitable as an entry level wine for use in the ‘first class’ cabin on certain airlines.

It’s predecessor was a certain type of champagne served in CE, until that was outlawed by the UN as a crime against humanity.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=788076]AnthonyDunn, the BA Apologists are being funny!! Maybe we should call them, collectively, Vintage Merolest…

[/quote]

Do you know what ‘apologist’ means? Perhaps you also thinkg ‘infamous’ is a compliment?

I can only think that you actually drank some Merolest 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls