A tale of 3 flights x 3 airlines

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Edited to add – Sorry about all the CAPS – problem with laptop keyboard this morning.

Over the past 3 weeks I have needed to fly to New York & Chicago return, every week. For logistical reasons I flew from London with BA, from Munich with LH and from Copenhagen with SAS.
    All flights were booked in ‘Business Class’ – the pricing was ‘similar (SAS was the lowest cost by €200).
    I hold Diamond status with SAS (double the Gold tier point requirement), Gold Guest list with BA (double the Gold tier point requirement) and Zero Status with LH (other than Star Gold).

Below is a direct comparison of the 3 flights taken. It is not an intention to bash any airline, this is an honest representation of the experiences.

REFRESHING TOWEL AT SEAT;
    LH – YES
    SAS – YES
    BA – NO

ON BOARD PERSONAL WELCOME AT SEAT?
    LH – YES, FROM CSD (welcomed as Star Gold)
    SAS – YES, FROM CSD (welcomed as SAS Diamond)
    BA – NO

PRE DEPARTURE DRINK;
    LH – YES
    SAS – YES
    BA – YES

HANG JACKET UP;
    LH – YES
    SAS – YES
    BA – HAD TO ASK

SEATING;
    LH – 2 2 2 – DIRECT AISLE ACCESS (A340) – USE OF WINDOW BLINDS DECIDED BY WINDOW SEATER. PLENTY OF PERSONAL SPACE.
    SAS – 1 2 1 – DIRECT AISLE ACCESS (A340) – USE OF WINDOW BLINDS DECIDED BY WINDOW SEATER. PLENTY OF PERSONAL SPACE.
    BA – 2 3 2 ‘COFFIN STYLE WITH CLIMB OVER TO REACH AISLE IF WINDOW SEATED (787) – FEELS SOMEWHAT CLAUSTROPHOBIC AND CONFINED – USE OF WINDOW BLINDS KEPT BEING OVER RIDDEN BY THE CREW WHO SEEMED TO WANT A DARKENED CABIN IMMEDIATELY AFTER LUNCH, ON A DAY FLIGHT. I HAD TO KEEP MANUALLY OPENING THEM.

WI-FI;
    LH – YES, CHARGEABLE
    SAS – YES, FREE OF CHARGE FOR GOLD & DIAMOND STATUS
    BA – NO

AT SEAT SNACK;
    LH – WARM NUT SELECTION
    SAS – WARM NUT SELECTION
    BA – NO

AMENITY KIT;
    LH – YES, PLACED ON SEAT
    SAS – YES, PLACED ON SEAT
    BA – YES, YOU ARE OFFERED ONE IF YOU WANT ONE

BOTTLE OF WATER AT SEAT;
    LH – YES, ALREADY IN POUCH
    SAS – YES, ALREADY IN POUCH
    BA – NO, HAD TO ASK FOR ONE.

TOILET FACILITIES;
    LH – CLEAN, CONTINUALLY STOCKED WITH MOUTHWASH, WET WIPES, COMBS & RAZORS/SHAVE CREAM, FRESH FLOWER IN A SMALL VASE
    SAS – CLEAN, CONTINUALLY STOCKED WITH MOUTHWASH, WET WIPES, RAZORS/SHAVE CREAM, FRESH FLOWER IN A SMALL VASE
    BA – CLEAN, NO OTHER ITEMS, NO FLOWER, EMPTY VASE

TABLE SUITIBLE FOR LAPTOP WORK;
    LH – YES, VERY STURDY
    SAS – YES, VERY STURDY
    BA – NO, IMPOSSIBLE TO BALANCE, TILTED STEEPLY TOWARDS THE FLOOR

IFE;
    LF – ADEQUATE. HEADPHONES BY BOSE
    SAS – EXCELLENT – HEADPHONES BY BOSE
    BA – ADEQUATE – BA BRANDED HEADPHONES, MONITOR WOULD NOT OPEN FULLY

GALLEY SNACK AREA;
    LH – VERY WELL STOCKED. SELF SERVE COFFEE MACHINE, GOOD RANGE OF INDULGENT TREATS INCLUDING ICE CREAM. FRESH FRUIT.
    SAS – VERY WELL STOCKED. SELD SERVE COFFEE MACHINE, GOOD RANGE OF INDULGENT TREATS INCLUDING ICE CREAM. FRESH FRUIT.
    BA – APPEARED TO BE ONLY STOCKED ON DEPARTURE. WHEN IT’S GONE, ITS GONE. NO ICE CREAM. FRESH FRUIT. CRISPS. CHOCOLATE BARS WERE AVAILABLE.

CREW;
    LH – ATTENTIVE THROUGHOUT, ALWAYS VISIBLE
    SAS – ATTENTIVE FOR ALL BUT AN HOUR – CREW CHANGED INTO ‘KITCHEN OUTFITS’ TO SERVE LUNCH FROM THE TROLLEY
    BA – DID NOT REALLY SEE THEM FOLLOWING LUNCH SERVICE UNTIL AROUND 2 HOURS PRIOR TO LANDING

FOOD;
    LH – ADEQUATE, NOTHING SPECIAL.
    SAS – EXCELLENT, ACTUALLY VERY ENJOYABLE AND THE CREW SERVE IT WITH FLAIR
    BA – ADEQUATE

BEERS; (Can’t comment on the wines since I didn’t try them)
    LH – WARSTEINER (cheap nasty mega brew)
    SAS – 2 BEERS BY MIKKELLER DANISH MICRO BREWER SPECIALLY COMISSIONED FOR SAS – EXCELLENT
    BA – APPEAR TO HAVE DITCHED FULLERS LONDON PRIDE FOR CORNWALL INDEPENDANT, ST AUSTELL – AN IMPROVEMENT IN MY OPINION.

ARRIVAL;
    LH – 40 MINUTES EARLY
    SAS – ON TIME
    BA – 40 MINUTES LATE (rain at LHR)

For my money, the winner is SAS with LH coming in Second.
    The comparisons above are fact, not speculation. Hard to argue with that.

Seasoned Traveller – 15th July 2016

1 user thanked author for this post.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Cant seem to Edit the original?

To add that in the case of LH – direct aisle access unless window seated

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Nice review and aligns with my experiences in the past few years.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

One of the problems passengers now face on BA is the tinkering of the product and services across the fleet.

I was on an old 747 this week to New York, following a new 380 from HKG (both in business)

The IFE on the 747, was probably the best IFE experience ever experienced on BA. The screen could be viewed with the window blinds open. Far better than the dated equipment on the brand new aircraft.

The cabin crew on the 747, were far more professional in terms of service and passenger interaction that the 380.

The flight deck crew though on the 747, were totalling lacking of any form or interaction with the passengers. Delays on departure and landing (30 minute wait for the air bridge at JFK) and Captain, couldn’t be bothered to keep us informed.

380 flight deck crew from HKG kept us all fully informed with about the 3 hour departure delay.. (and no EU 261)…

The one current common feature with BA which connects my most recent 6 sectors… EVERY flight has been delayed by more than 1 hour…

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I came back to LHR from JFK last night with BA in CW.
    As no hot towel was offered again (same as the outbound) I asked crew to clarify if indeed BA had ceased this service. Their answer was, “No,we just forgot to hand them out”

So, the crew ‘forgot’ on both sectors??

Just to add also in regards to SAS headphones, today’s flight to Shanghai feature SAS branded, not Bose.

icenspice
    Participant

@seasonedtraveller

It’s very refreshing to read that you fly on various airlines on what sounds like many longhaul trips.

I must admit I have never flown SAS, not even shorthaul. But I look forward to trying it out.

1 user thanked author for this post.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

A new one for me……..

SAS flight to Shanghai this week seated in Business, seat 1A.

Access to the front washroom blocked off as “Crew Only” meaning that there were only 2 washrooms for business pax.

When I questioned the use of the front washroom I was informed by the crew “it’s very close to the cockpit & therefore it’s not possible for passengers to use it” – which sounded very much like bullsh-t to me. I’ve never heard that one before.
    Strikes me that the crew are reserving their own washroom.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls