A Question of Tea

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

Gold-2K, in response to your post of 30 December – if you ever get hold of a copy of the original Mrs Beeton you will see that she goes to some lengths to describe how to make a proper pot of tea! No earthshattering insights, but quite entertaining to read all the same. As to people using flasks that previously held coffee to hold hot water or tea – this is one of my major peeves. I attended a conference in Singapore last year and tried during every break to persuade the staff to use a tea urn that didn’t make the tea taste of coffee. Grrrr.

Although I applaud the various posters extolling the virtue of British tea, I have to put a word in for a Singaporean company called TWG, that makes the most delicious Flowery Earl Grey. Wonderful, fragrant tea, though probably much better for those who (like me) prefer their tea without milk

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Tea Forte is very good!!!

http://www.teaforte.co.uk

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Becky: I took a look at this site. Will try them out as I am constant search for good tea suppliers.

Ian-from-HKG: Will check out TWG next time in Singapore.

Just been looking at a tea shop in Sydney (T2) and it has lot of teas and fabulous tea pots of all kind. Also something I have not seen in other shops – a silicon folding tea strainer in it’s own packed flat box for travel!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

At any establishment which has an urn or Samovar I will always ask for the water to be freshly boiled and bought to me in a teapot. It’s very rare for this request to be refused and when it is I have fiendish ways to ensure I get what I want!

I also prefer my tea in a ceramic pot rather than a metal one. I find it tastes better especially as I never use milk.

I suppose we can all get a bit pedantic when it comes to how we want our tea and Mrs. LP will often hide or disassociate herself from me when I make some of my requests!

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

LuganoPirate: It is not a question of being pedantic rather than preferences developed through knowledge and one’s cultural background. I lived with Europeans where they don’t response or share my tea drinking passion at home!!!

As I am from a tea drinking culture, I am keen to try out different methods of brewing tea and seeking out new teas from sources all around the world.

Titanium402
    Participant

In the US I discovered Mariage Frères Tea at Williams-Sonoma. I moved to Paris and now revel in having access to its stores. There are six in Paris, plus counters at the main department stores in Paris and other French cities. I understand it’s sold in Japanese department stores, too. The tea is magnificent. There are close to 600 types which is overwhelming, but if you go to one of the stores during the week when it’s not busy, you can work with a sales clerk to find the types of tea you like and smell them all. The best parts is that the stores seem to come straight out of the 19th century with wood paneling and gentlement that wear white suits and gloves.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

I have to say I really like Earl Grey tea and have a similar problem. I usually have a couple of tea bags with me to have in the hotel room.

What does surprise me though is the lack of a choice of tea in business class on both short and long haul flights. Nobody it seems offers Earl Grey tea anymore.. Indeed not even on Virgin Trains First Class will they serve this now (even though they used to).

Stowage222
    Participant

Hey KJ, you’ll be pleased to note Earl Grey is now available on BA First and CW – just ask!

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Thanks for that Stowarge.

I flew CE last night and didn’t want to trouble the very hardworking crew to ask for Earl Grey but was very happy with the coffee.

It would be nicer though for a proper mug of coffee the small “tumblers” that they use in CE have been around for 10 years or so now.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Keanejohn: Carry a little bottle of Oil of Bergamot when traveling and putting a drop on the tea bag before you infuse it and voila you have your home made Earl Grey! Not rocket science!

Enjoy!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Bruce babe did you try the Forte tea yet?

Nothing like a cup of sainsbury red label tea in the morning in bed with a bacon sarnie!!!!

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Hi Becky: Not yet as I am still in S. America but definitely when I am back to London and will order some to sample.

Ardmarnoch
    Participant

My goodness. For a good British cuppa, why do Tetley’s or PG tips not promote their products internatiionally? Why can’t we get a decent size tea bag instead of these silly little fancy tea bags in paper envelopes that a such so small and fiddly. Most are so small you spend a lot time squuezing them to try and get any strength in your brew. Tetley is Indian owned, and I guess they know rather a lot about tea….!

BeckyBoop
    Participant

At my office we only serve whatever is on offer in the shop when i go to buy it and all our visitors inc the bosses wife and other vip’s have never complained even when the tea is PG or the supermarket own brand or the coffee regular Nescafe :o) x

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I still think loose leaf tea is the best. I have an intense dislike for tea bags!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 64 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls