A Question of Tea

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)

• BeckyBoop
    Participant

lol …awww you would be welcome any time 🙂 she only has sainsbury red label tea mind you 😉 whats tiffen?

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Cedric: As a Chinaman I certainly understand what you are saying with the kind of tea one meets from overseas travels!

China gave tea to the world and I am a tea connoisseur.

As Johnny English has pointed out that most of the food servers (and their boss) have little knowledge of what it takes to make proper tea and it is hard to fight the situation

My personal solution is to carry my own tea (mostly leaf teas) and make my own cup of cha in my hotel room. I first considered it a bother but now if is part of my travel habit.

You can have your tea and drink it!!!!

RichHI1
    Participant

Cadbury make a Tiffin bar, maybe it is this or maybe it rfers to the name for the Inidan afternoon meal

http://www.britishdelights.com/prod_cad21.htm

I am on a learning trend here as not being a dark tea drinker and not having a clue what a Jaffa Cake or a Jammy Dodger might be, though I can sense they must be sweet biscuits (in UK sense).

So to grab the bull by the horns…

I know the water needs to be boiling, I know you do not use bags, i know you warm the pot and you add a spoon for the pot when calculating but….

With Milk, with Lemon or Plain?

If with Milk, Milk in First or After (I remember a Steptoe and Son sketch about this from my childhood).

Little finger straight, semi curved or clenched?

Inquiring minds want to know…..

JordanD
    Participant

Getting a cup of ‘proper’ tea in Peru is nigh on impossible. Your options are Coca leaves in water (the standard), a Camomile type and other herbal teas …

Coca tea is very good in the region for helping acclimatise to the high altitude conditions; that said, I for one didn’t like the smell (made me feel nauseous), so was stuck to camomile or the occasional sachet of instant coffee (which was far superior to any instant I’ve drunk anywhere else in the world).

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

JordanD: The only time I’ve ever tasted that nasty Coca tea was when I was very ill with altitude sickness in Machu Picchu. The Coca tea made me even more ill!

I travel with personal electric kettle and tea pot and my favourate leaf teas so that I am not deprived from my simple life’s pleasure.

Happy tea time to all!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

1. buy a small tea infuser

2. get t bag and tear open

3. put tea from bag into infuser

4. put infuser into boiling water

5. take out infuser, careful about the drips

6. sit back and enjoy,

Much better and just as easy as t bags!

stevescoots
    Participant

I always travel with my own english breakfast Tea, 10 small bags

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Infused tea dust is the next best thing to having proper tea leaves!!!

Talking about tea bags, the ONLY good ones are bought in the UK as theyare larger and contain more tea then the export quality (or rather lack of quality) versions!

RichHI1
    Participant

As a follower of the bean rather than the leaf, can I ask the assembled mavens about Tea formats? When I worked in Shanghai I saw expensive Tea for sale always in blocks or cakes. How does this relate to Leaves and Bags dicussion? Are the cakes merely compressed leaves or is this an additional format?

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

borntorun: Thanks for the recommendation to this tea. I shall pick some up from this Wan Lin Tea House in Shanghai.

If you like delicate white tea then I can recommend Fuding Supreme Silver (HK$320/GBP25 for 75 gr from Fookmingtong.com). Taking it will help me to restore my inner Zen peace after a long and hard working day.

Rich: The tea DISC you mentioned is the Pu Er tea which has a very good calming effect and also reputed to be good at flushing out the fatty particles from the body. It is used by many people for slimming purpose.

This tea can be inexpensive for daily use but the very top quality variety can be priced for up to US$20,000 per catty (under 550 grams/17 oz)

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Rich , i had a long island ice tea when i was in hong kong and yes i have to dismiss it too.. it was wrank!!! sorry hun 🙁
    x

stevescoots
    Participant

liptons powered tea? no? …..I will grab my coat…

LeTigre
    Participant

Do any airlines offer fruit tea (Twinings if possible) ? They’d have my custom!

stevescoots
    Participant

you can get on Qatar on flights to/from CAN

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I think the answer to the original question is to take your own tea. I have a natty travel kettle which contains a reusable (mesh) filter (yes, you can do filter tea – for me it works just as well as brewing in a pot), two cups, and a four-container compartment just one of which holds enough loose-leaf tea to last me most business trips (mind you, unlike Binman, I like my tea black and weak – he might need all four compartments!). All I need is decent potable water.

What I would really like to do, however, is to get decent tea on a plane. Cathay do it in first class because you get your own pot, but sadly it has been a long time since I was in that cabin. Everywhere else, though, it seems to be stewed until it is so bitter that I find it undrinkable.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls