A perhaps more balanced view on BA

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

• Scandinavian
    Participant

“landing at ARN from a long-haul very nice”. What’s special about it?

Lots! It’s always wonderful to land at ARN without having the hassle of transferring in one or Europe’s hubs. CPH or HEL are exceptions since they are great airports and not too big.

Landing at ARN is also wonderful if you have had an SAS flight with excellent food and service – something which is happening more often. Service levels on SAS’s long-haul business have improved! Just time for them to update their seats! Service on the smaller European airlines such as SAS, Austrian or Finnair is always more special than the likes of BA or LH when it is at its best!

Plus I think that in Scandinavia we are more accustomed with excellent on-ground services. We can still turn up at the airport 20-30 minutes of a flight thanks to on-line check in, fast track through security and short distances to gate! Great living in cities where we avoid LHR, FRA and CDG!

VintageKrug
    Participant

The lounge BA use in ARn is less than pleasing; the food offering is derisory.

Scandinavian
    Participant

Quite true about the BA lounge at ARN. Try flying SAS and using their pleasant Scandinavia lounge instead. Not as good as in Copenhagen but definitely a good experience!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Hmm. Have never flown SAS.

Might venture back there, but ARN fares on SAS always seem expensive vs. BA. Don’t they used MD90s or similar?

Swissdiver
    Participant

Been there done that. The SAS lounge in ARN is nice, but nothing to write home about… I am rather a wine drinker and wasn’t particularly impressed by the wine’s choice, to say the least. And the coffee was … Nordic…

And yes, SAS still operates 20+ MD80s. They also offer something called Economy Extra in Europe, a kind of premium product that is not worth the extra money…

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“Maybe BA will operate the A320s to the USA & the experience will be a breath of fresh air.”

“Of course, you can sample BA’s airbus service to New York aboard Club World London City.”

Vintage Krug, you will find the irony next to the coppery, in the storeroom 🙂

Scandinavian
    Participant

MD90s left SAS fleet a few years ago. Some have been flying for Blue1 but have just been disposed of. You have a few MD80s left at ARN and CPH, which are much nicer to fly on than the 737 and A320s when you are up-front.

Wine selection is poor at the SAS lounges – agreed and I think SAS should introduce an Espresso bar at their lounges. Swedes actually drink the most coffee per capita in the world…

RoadKing
    Participant

It’s been mostly the Danish branch of SAS that has kept the MD90’s going for the last years.
    I disagree when you claim the MD90’s are better than 737, the MD90’s are old and done, they should have been taken out of service many years ago.

VK: The BA lounge in ARN I haven’t seen, but they service lounge they lease in Oslo is very good. Granted, the food and drink selection is not remotely comparable to what you will find on the top floor at T5, less the floor under, but it is new, spacious, delicately furnished and not at least; I have been there a number of times and it has never been crowded.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

I was in the ‘BA’ lounge (OSL lounge) last night and it is pretty nice, although not to Galleries standard.

Two problems, (1) they let literally anyone in, for 230NOK, so not exclusive and (2) the lounge closes at 2000 (according to the reception, but the last BA flight leaves at 2105, from what I could see. I wasn’t travelling BA and left for my flight at 1950, but the receptionist warned me on arrival, assuming because I was British that I was flying BA.

I wouldn’t be happy at having to leave the lounge and wander around, especially if my flight was late, seemed a little infelxible on the lounge management side.

RichHI1
    Participant

I remember the MD80’s/90’s from when I flew to Europe a lot in the 1990’s. (Hawaiian have replaced theirs with 717’s) and I love these planes as they are so quiet (up front) and the feeling on takeoff reminds me of the trident, they seem to be off the ground before you realise it.
    Last tiem I was in ARN they had just opened the new wing and BA gates were very long walk. I remember the food was somethign special (as a seafood lover I was very well looked after) and the reliability in bad weather was awesome, made BA look timid.
    I remember a few years back when SAS had sleepers in business not as a separate class of service but just a few special seats you could reserve. DO they still do that?

VintageKrug
    Participant

I thought MD80s weren’t allowed to fly any longer?

RichHI1
    Participant

I did not hear anything about that. I know some Russian planes no longer have air worthiness certificates and I beleive Concorde no longer has one but did not knwo anything about MD80’s.

Swissdiver
    Participant

@VK: AA would not be happy to hear this…

RichHI1
    Participant

Yes I think they will only be completely phased out by 2012 or 2013. I wish they had bought some 717’s though, I love those planes. Not happy they going with Neo Scarebuses but I suspect it makes sense financially.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Rich: I also love the B717 but in Europe, it is quite seldom to find one… Actually only Blue1 is flying them…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls