A New Airport in the Thames Estuary

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)

• Anonymous

FCTraveller
    Participant

I thought perhaps this would be a good debate to get going.

I agree with the Mayor, we should just start from scratch. Here we are spending £9bn on a third runway at LHR (when we actually need 4), a few billion on redeveloping T2/T1 and I don’t know how much on a new T6. Then not to mention any money down the drain at LGW. When (or if) we’re all done, we still won’t have enough capacity, we’ll still have even more planes flying over central London and we still won’t have a 24 hour airport. In eight years we could have a brand spanking new airport with 4 runways and room for expansion all for the modest sum of £35-40bn.

OK, I can hear some of you saying: “T5 was a disaster when it opened, how can we possibly move an entire airport, etc.”. The baggage problem at T5 in my opinion was a minor teething problem in the scheme of things. It was also blown out of all proportion by the press. And if the Chinese and the Thai can move to an entirely new airport overnight, so can we.

Or perhaps it will take a jumbo jet crashing over central London (or Windsor Castle) one day to make politicians come to their senses.

FCTraveller
    Participant

Sorry, perhaps I should have put a question mark in the title!

Hess963
    Participant

This is not an easy topic. I personally support the idea of a new airport– apart from the fact that other cultures are capable of doing such acts overnight or not.

I like the sight of seeing central London from the planes while preparing for landing in LHR. So I do not know, if it will be good for the city or not? But the idea of a crushing jet–well FCTraveller–please do not panic the people.
    And our beloved Queen and her castle–what a blasphemy ! Just to think that one of those birds could flat Windsor Castle. What has the warden told me from my last trip in Windsor Castle: ” …the castle has been here for ages–the airport is the newer one ….” So it means–bye bye LHR and our Windsor Castle stays firmly as it always does–with grace.

FCTraveller
    Participant

Very well said Hess! And I certainly wouldn’t want to cause panic amongst the people of London, or God forbid, Her Majesty. And yes, the loss of those lovely flights over Central London would be sad indeed.

Airpocket
    Participant

If the plans for the Estuarine airport go ahead, perhaps we could have the Germans build it, the Singaporeans run it, and the Israeils handle security? The duty-free shops could be staffed by attractive Philippinas and the drinking outlets by SANZARs (South Africans, Kiwis, and Australians) and a smatering of the Irish,while the spas could be expertly run by a combination Thai-Swedish-Indian team? Now THAT is what I call a ‘happy ending’ and I would certainly trudge across town to use that particular airport.
    What about the English, you ask? Well, someone needs to clean the toilets, right?

Hess963
    Participant

I knew it Airpocket–you have something against the English !

Well, you are gladly invited to take the first loo brush and show how it works–properly :0) !!

Airpocket
    Participant

Can I choose my brush?:o)

Hess963
    Participant

For you– our one of kind Airpocket!

I will grant you the smallest brush possible–so you can take your time and contemplate not to be so cheeky to English folks :0) !!

And I do dear say–you have a great hand for running over prejudices, don’t you think : 0) !!

MarcusUK
    Participant

And please let The Dutch be in charge of Customer Service…and courtesy training…they could teach BAA something.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The Dutch!!! You must be joking. They have no concept of customer service. If you want customer service then go to the Americans. Despite their brashness I usually find their customer service very good when a problem has to be solved.

FCTraveller
    Participant

I note that the French have not been invited to do anything. Well they can keep running our high speed rail link to St Pancras for the moment and let’s just leave it at that! They should certainly not be involved in constructing it, unless we want a big lump of concrete with collapsing walkways.

Hess963
    Participant

Oh dear !! which culture have not been mentioned yet !!

No, this is definitely not a demand to talk about more which culture can do best or worse. Let us just come back to the main topic. I do not want to be the spoil sport here–but it is better to stop now–or some might add more spice in the discussion-intentionally !!

FCTraveller
    Participant

Hess you are absolutely right and I apologise for saying that, there is just something in me that couldn’t resist!

Hess963
    Participant

We are only all too human–full of feelings and prejudices– all in one.

I know, it is just too easy to be tempted to say something so easily and cheeky in the midst of the heat in a discussion etc. But it takes more from its own to see and apologize to others that if you know that you have said or commented badly or hurt their feelings.

We are not free of prejudices and faults–we just try to be sesitive and act sensibly and hope and try to give and show our best side.

Hope some users have understand the message.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls