A knee in the groin?!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

• Anonymous

Binman62
    Participant

I have never flown VS and think Richard Branson a bit of prat ( like he cares what I think) but despite my personal antipathy he has developed his brand and done so in the face of stiff competition and a proven dirty tricks campaign that simply was not necessary.

When I heard yesterday that he had offered a £1million bet I thought “prat” again and “self publicising prat” at that.

However the response from WW has left me speechless. What in the name of all that is sensible possessed him to make such a ridiculous, puerile, juvenile and thuggish response! Who is advising him or was this simply proof that you can take the man out of the bogs but not the bogs out of the man!

I am not impressed by macho attitudes in general and think WW has done himself and BA a huge dis service.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Fully agree Binman. Well said.

Jimmer7
    Participant

Must admit I’ve always been a fan of WW but this must have been one of the most unprofessional comments I’ve heard in a long time. There is only going to one winner of this media hype and with the further news of VS partnering with Delta the codeshare or whatever comes out of the deal can only be good for competition on the North American routes. VS have always needed to expand their US routes regardless of the who’s better argument.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Fully agree Binman. Well said.”

+1

HonestCrew
    Participant

From a charitable point of view, think of the money Branson could raise should he decide to ‘auction off’ his opportunity to knee WW in the groin.

There’d be 1000’s of bids from BA staff alone.

“On behalf of all the colleagues and customers you have shafted over the last few years, I am delighted to give you one in the goolies.”

SwissExPat
    Participant

Guys n gals… Hold on a minute..

I am guessing that this bet is very much more metaphorical than physical, at least I hope so!

I cannot imagine anyone actually engaging in the Act described, simply one person showing that they were willing to risk the embarrassment of losing the bet.

I am slightly endeared to the hint of lightheartedness between the challenging parties. A bet of money is a bit clinical, a bet of honour and saving face is altogether more entertaining and, dare I say it, honourable!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“From a charitable point of view, think of the money Branson could raise should he decide to ‘auction off’ his opportunity to knee WW in the groin.”

So you condone the incitement of a criminal act?

Last time I looked, this would be assault, the act of a thug.

HonestCrew
    Participant

“What happens in private between consenting adults ….” covers a broad spectrum of acts. Just ask Max Mosley. 😉

(But I can’t help but think of the ‘Kicking Bishop Brennan up the …..’ scene from Father Ted, particularly with the Irish connection!)

Capetown2k
    Participant

It’s a sports mans challenge

Its a bit of fun showing ww human side

And it’s worked it’s got you all talking about it!!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

One cannot consent to assault, unless for a lawful reason (e.g. surgery.)

Google Operation Spanner.

WW has made himself look like a prat.

Hippocampus
    Participant

It was a silly off-the-cuff remark and Willie Walsh should have known better that Sir Richard Branson would never allow him to have the last word.

HonestCrew’s comments are disgraceful. HonestCrew owes a huge gratitude to Willie Walsh for restructuring BA into a leaner and fitter carrier that can now pursue profitable expansion with a vigour not seen for decades.

stevescoots
    Participant

the 2 biggest ego’s in the industry, and dont some of you think they are playing up tthier images?

Branson knwos his image of wealth, so plays to it. and WW has a carefully cultivated one of a bruiser and will also play to that. its all tongue in cheek. As for WW comment on virgin disapperaing then its nothing more than what anyone in industry says about thier competitors. there is a certain amount of offended for the sake of being offended going on.

Tim2soza
    Participant

WW’s point was he hasn’t got £1m, so the bet was not one of equal pain. He suggested a bet that was of equal pain to both parties, like a kick in the groin. I still think the comment was a little unwise.

(Is a kick in the groin assault if consensual? Thuggish granted.)

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“It was a silly off-the-cuff remark and Willie Walsh should have known better that Sir Richard Branson would never allow him to have the last word.”

That’s one way of looking at it.

Another is that a very wealthy capitalist/entrepreneur wound up a salaryman by making a bet he could not accept, my wad is bigger than yours……

The CEO of a public company should have risen above the jibe and replied in a more intelligent way, making SRB look foolish and unsophisticated.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘A knee in the groin?!’ is closed to new replies.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls