A fruity frivolity

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

Good morning, mid-week levity in the form of research I undertook yesterday morning

For me and by a country mile, the best thing about the Business Class breakfast on my Finnair flight from Hong Kong to Helsinki yesterday was the fruit – big chunks of very tasty mango, dragon fruit, melon and pineapple.

After finishing my repas, I took to wandering the cabin just before the cabin crew commenced collecting the trays. Most of my fellow travellers appeared to be European and of the 19 with breakfast trays, as far as I could see, only 3 had touched their fruit. Of the 5 ladies, only one had not eaten her fruit.

From this, can we conclude that a) male business travellers only consume fruit after it has fermented for extended period and b) that they are basically unhealthy in their diet choice?

Thoughts on how fruity you are when you travel?

NTarrant
    Participant

Interesting subject Tom. I find it rather annoying when they come around and say “fresh fruit sir” which should read as “Mellon sir with a chunk of pineapple”. Personally I hate melon, but it seems that the bulk of fresh fruit consists of melon.

My recent breakfast flights, on Saudia business, domestic, two weeks ago, strawberry, melon, pineapple, grapes, mango. Last wee, half a strawberry, three grapes and three massive chunks of melon.

MrMichael
    Participant

I don’t mind lots of Melon, it is lots of Mango I cannot stand….detest the stuff.

traveldoc
    Participant

Enjoy most fruit but can’t stand papaya – the smell puts me off. Unfortunately it features heavily on Asian flights and in the hotels at breakfast.

DontTurnRight
    Participant

Never one to turn down fruit, whether for breakfast or fermented, or occasionally fermented for breakfast! Only gripe is fruit is often served ice cold. Best thing to do, is to ask passengers whether they want fruit or not, as part of breakfast service!

ViajeroUK
    Participant

Fresh fruit after an overnight flight is the best part of breakfast for me, ideal would be a mix of mango, pineapple, melon (small chunks) and grapefruit, not so keen on strawberries which never seem to have much taste.

Also enjoy fruit in the lounges when it is available, much more than cakes, biscuits or crisps, washed down with a chilled glass of champagne.

Not sure if they still do it but last year KLM did offer a breakfast menu after dinner, on which you could pre-select which items you did want for breakfast, may have only been a trial on certain routes though.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Fruit is always the best part of the breakfast for me and followed by an SQ Nasi Lemak is just perfect. I like decent pieces too but have horrible memories of fruit on BA shorthaul that had been cut so thin you could see through it, that was not worth eating.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

don’t get me started on fresh fruit..

Always take it and will ask for any spares – still don’t eat bread or pastries, so fruit is a staple and healthy diet – and no I don’t drink alcohol for breakfast…… yet.

Tend to avoid fruit with pips…

canucklad
    Participant

Love fruit…..
    And depending on my mood, or perhaps hangover my favourite is that old staple …..

Grapefruit…

But if it’s available, my all-time favourite has to be Paw Paw.

And Tom, I think your answer lies in the fact that the older people get, they tend to forget just how delicious foods that they enjoyed when younger, actually are……
    I defy anyone here , who hasn’t tucked into a bowl of frosties (Yes, I know laden with sugar) recently, to come back and say …Yuk !!

Same with fruit, as a youngster back cross the pond I gorged on wild blueberries, yet never thought of buying them as an adult. Re-discovered the taste and memories last month!! …Heaven !

K1ngston
    Participant

I also like my fruit when travelling and love mango when its nice and ripe! As for alcohol in the morning Martyn are you sure???

Good topic

Tim2soza
    Participant

I love my fruit, and always buy it when landing in the US at the local supermarket and stock the fridges in the office and hotel.

AviationGeek
    Participant

I went for a walk on Chobham Common this morning and picked over a pound of blackberries – going into a homemade crumble… best use of fruit.

Oh, the topic was fruit on airline breakfast menus… sorry! 😉

BA serve (and have for years) some kind of yoghurt – come – crumble with unidentifiable fruit on CE breakfast trays from some European outstations… but that’s nothing like the crumble I mean.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I don’t eat fruit on planes because I don’t eat on planes. Never sure how it’s been handled or who did the peeling!

The only way I eat fruit on planes is in the form of distilled Sloe Berries diluted with tonic. Ah yes, fruit. A slice of lemon, The alcohol will kill any germs on it!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Distilled sloes, LP?? You must travel on much more exotic airlines than me, the most exciting thing I see on most is distilled juniper berries… Mind you, that goes well with tonic water too!

MrMichael, I am with you, I detest mangos. I also don’t like papaya/paw-paw, and I hate pears. I used to eat huge amounts of fruit as a child, especially apples, but none of it seems to do much for me nowadays. I will occasionally eat it and enjoy it, but wouldn’t normally choose it. Mind you, I also don’t choose to eat breakfast, so perhaps I am just strange (restrain yourselves, please, this is supposed to be a flame-free forum!).

Oh and K1ngston,if my recollection is correct from previous posts, Martyn has been known to consume JW Blue before midday 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls