A fond farewell to bmi – or is it?

Back to Forum

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  skyguy79 25 May 2012
at 09:59

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

JeffD
    Participant

I was going to write a fond farewell to bmi tonight. I have flown on them since I was 9 years old. I am now in very early 50’s. I will look back on bmi with fond memories, Diamond service on the LHR -LBA flights included a hot 3 course meal, yes I do miss the way we were looked after. I am sure there is a niche market for a quality short haul operation. If you think Air UK offered its Sterling Service which was a great in flight product as well.

I am sure there will many people out there thinking silly old sod times have moved forward, but after a long day at work a bit of pampering never goes a miss and thats what is missing from the short haul travel market. It will never appeal to the masses but I am sure there a quiet a few of us who would willing pay a premium fare for canape’s and champagne on a short haul commercial flight.

So come on Lord Bishop, get off the beach and do what you are renowned for creating a premium niche airline. If you are not available I am sure there are still some of your original management team who still believe in the premium product they used to offer who could regroup.

However I really must a very big thank you to all the excellent staff at bmi who I have come to know over the years, you have done your airline and industry proud and I wish you all the very best for the future.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Not so sure he’d get off the beach Jeffery. He’s worth about £300 million and can probably do without the stress of running an airline again!

skyguy79
    Participant

There is a great article in the June 2012 issue of Airline Business magazine in which an ex BD reservations employee who now runs his own consultancy, reflecting on the days when BD first launched and how it offered low fares coupled with exquisite dining.

Not yet online but I received it in the print edtition yesterday.

excessbaggage
    Participant

He’s also 70 years old – not sure i’d want to be starting again at that age!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
BT November cover
BT November cover
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls