A day off in Dubai

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

OK, first day off ever in Dubai on next Saturday. Any suggestion? Beach? Trendy place? And is scuba diving worth it in or near Dubai?

Thanks

LeTigre
    Participant

Definitely Wild Wadi water-park. The highest tech park I’ve been to ever with jets that shoot you up chutes and mean that no long climbing is necessary!

One of funnest places I have ever visited (and I’m a snowboarder) !

VintageKrug
    Participant

Wild Wadi is fun if you have children in tow:

http://www.jumeirah.com/hotels-and-resorts/Wild-Wadi/

…otherwise I’d start the day with walk on the beach at sunrise, find a decent hotel for an excellent unlimited champagne breakfast, check into a spa for a relaxing treatment and avoid the heat of midday, relax by the pool in the mid afternoon and in the late afternoon go dune surfing in a 4×4, ride a camel and enjoy supper under the stars with bellydancers (though maybe not this week due to the Hajj).

Fujairah Fort is also worth a look if you have time, and of course there’s always taking the lift to the top of the Burj Khalifa, if you trust the building not to fall down.

NTarrant
    Participant

If you want to do the Burj Khalifa book your ticket online to ensure a slot. Followed by afternoon tea at the Burj Al Arab.

Looking for something a bit different then a trip to the Fjords of Musandam (Oman) is a must

http://www.khasabtours.com/excursions.asp

Swissdiver
    Participant

Thanks, all.

This actually won’t be my first time in Dubai, but this is the first time I’ll have a day off… So there are a few things mentioned above I’ve done in the past. That includes the desert bashing thing I’ve shared with a bunch of Americans soon after the Iraq invasion. Not sure all felt comfortable about it 🙂

While Wild Wadi water-park looks great, I am not sure I could cope it without my children…

VK: champagne for breakfast: you are up to your alias reputation! 🙂

Nigel: Your Oman idea looks great. Did you have a chance working with these guys? I am tempted going for a diving day there…

Once more, thanks all for the great ideas.

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Check with Seawings the sea plane tour operator they have seats at up to half price booked on the day before departure. An amazing way to see parts of this amazing place and almost a certainty of obtaining if its just for one person.

Capetonian
    Participant

Dubai is a tip and best avoided. It’s built on slave labour and its tourist industry is based on alcohol and prostitution. I don’t have the slightest problem with either of those and have enjoyed both during my times. What I have a problem with is the double standards and utter hypocrisy of this.

That said, Wild Wadi is probably the only place in the Emirate worth going to. It’s really terrific fun even if you go on your own as I did.

Swissdiver
    Participant

But, Capetonian, life is based on alcohol! Or did I miss something?

@KeaneJohn: Is it worth it to see Dubai from the air?

NTarrant
    Participant

The Oman trip is a full day and they pick you up from your hotel fairly early, about 0700-0730 depending on location. Travel by minibus, they do the visa at the boarder so you don’t have to worry about it. The journey is a few hours to to boat.

You do Dolphin watching with the guys getting the Dolphins to swim along and scuba diving off Telegraph Island. There is usually time for more diving at another part of the Fjords. A meal is included along with tea and soft drinks. Its a great day. Hope that helps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls