BA to pull Dar Es Salaam Route – End of March

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Apparently BA are pulling the DAR route from 31st March. They don’t show on timetable beyond this point.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Tim

It’s already been discussed:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/BA-route-changes….

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Missed that – had a super quick skim of forum titles. Feel free to cancel this thread.

Bullfrog
    Participant

The Gulf carriers are ‘hammering’ the legacy carriers, and it can only get worse.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Flying from Europe to Africa via the middle east is a much longer way round. European carriers still have an edge.

BusinessBoy
    Participant

Bucksnet – it really depends where you are travelling from in the world….. From the US, Asia, Latin America and Australia – The middle east makes perfect sense. From Europe – not so much sense…

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Not just the ME carriers to DAR, I’m going there in March and am using TK from FCO.

Half the price of BA from London and a new 737-900 on the long leg, rather than an old 767, plus TK has great F&B.

As a secondary benefit, avoiding the unpredictable LHR security experience.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Bucksnet is right about the distance from northern Europe, 4655miles from LHR to DAR, 5860 miles via DXB.

From London via IST is about 400 extra miles (say 45 mins in the air plus the connection time and a security re-clearance hassle) – is it worth it? I think I’d probably take a direct for business, but if on leisure, would trouser the difference and enjoy myself in the lounge.

FirstTraveller
    Participant

I see that many of the ME carriers selling tickets LHR to JNB via DXB or AUH (much longer distance) cheaper than BA or SA. How do these guys make money!!!!

SimonS1
    Participant

FirstTraveller – I would imagine their overheads are considerably lower. For example the cost of labour at a Dubai hub is much lower than a London hub, and I would imagine fuel costs are also lower. Also the whole Dubai operation (as an example) is much more efficient, working 24 hours a day.

The other thing is I doubt the underlying traffic flows to places like Dar comes from Europe any more. Dar is in the top 10 fastest growing cities in the world but that growth is all coming from other emerging markets, especially Asia. Ideal for the ME carriers.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I am disaappinted with BA on this one. I appreciate they have to make a profit, but they started to have a bad name on the route, and so were becoming uncompetitive with their product.

But why not use some imagination? Instead of just dropping it, why not use the route in combination with another place in the area – there is no shortage of places – Kilimanjaro (KLM now have 9 flights a week there, upped from 7), Kigali, Zanzibar, or even Seychelles. BA could have triangle flights, stop on the way to/from Dar, or use Dar as a short stop to Mahe.

Dar is one of the fast rising cities of the world, and Asia may be leading that invstment, but if that was the case why does KLM have 7 flights aweek to Dar? Thats 4 more than BA, even though they stop at JRO.

jetplane
    Participant

Shame on BA! However, no surprise here. In Feb – April looked into flying BA CW over Christmas 2012 on this route. TK was much cheaper, albeit slightly longer with an hour spent in Attaturk either way (Filled with bargains galore €66 for 800 Gauloise rouge particularly pleasing); Flying TK was a no brainer and as there were 7 of us BA lost out. BA customer services run by Mrs Halfwit poorly assisted by Mr Dimwit. We passed through IST on 7th Jan and snow was everywhere but no huge delays on TK…. BA & LHR are an international joke!

craigwatson
    Participant

that is not really fair, why do people keep making the same assumptions. BA fly direct, so they are going to be more expensive, whereas an airline on an indirect route will be charging less to entice passengers. Just took a look and BA is £900 cheaper than KLM on a AMS-DAR routing. It just makes sense. You want convienence you are going to pay for it, you want the cheapest you will again pay for it in a longer journey…. As most know this is in general, there can and will be exceptions to the rule.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Yes, but BA are having to pull off the route to one of the fastest growing cities in Africa, did they get their sums right?

Is BA’s cost base competitive enough?

Doesn’t seem their pricing achieved much.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls