83.2% Vote for Industrial Action

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 129 total)

• Hippocampus
    Participant

rhamnous – Ah, “read between the lines”. A classic non-specific BASSA phrase that requires no evidence to back it up. Along with “keep the faith”, “believe”, “justice” and “fairness”.

Tete, I’m afraid you have a very rose tinted view of BA’s in flight service in the air. For years by far the biggest complaint about BA is the inconsistent standards of service. For every good crew, there is another that either does not want to be there or try and rush the service as quickly as possible and disappear off the bunks. All this points to the lack of performance management highlighted by pixel.

I note your snide dig at the Mixed Fleet “newbies”. Shame on you.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Am somewhat surprised Hippo as BA tried something similar around 20+ years ago I recall. It created “clones” which resulted in losing many business pax to Virgin as they preferred the more personable, individualised approach.

The remark wrt newbies was not intended to be snide. It was a statement that higher calibre recruits, with evidenced people skills think on their feet and are far better equipped to handle the multiude of inflight issues without needing management to intervene.

Right thinking companies attempt to reduce layers of management by increasing the calibre of recruit, improving quality of training and creating a culture of empowerment.

There have been several posts on BT which are of the view that empowerment throughout BA is on the decline.

pixelmeister
    Participant

Tete

I have no idea what approach the new leadership at BA are taking, I’m not in that line of work. I was not suggesting ‘imposing’ management. I believe that the root problem exists because a number of the current on board supervisors – I believe BA refer to them as cabin service directors – are simply not up to the job of managing their teams.

If you look throught this and other forums, many will state that BA has a good on board product, but the service delivery is patchy. The first line responsibility for ensuring consistency in service delivery rests with the on board supervisor. I would suggest that rather than provide the correct formative feedback, many seem to prefer to ‘go native’ and align themselves with the people they are charged with managing. It avoids confronting the problem and after all, they may not see the same batch of crew for an awful long time. The snag is that the problem doesn’t go away, it merely becomes somebody else’s concern. A bit like pass the parcel, when the content is something rather unpleasant. If the supervisors were subject to more stringent performance management, the underperfomers would be reduced. Moreover, the performance of those they are managing would be enhanced. Result, a more consistent service delivery. I see the removal of one crew member on board in November 2009 as an opportunity for the cabin service directors to a) get a lot closer to their teams and as a result put them in a better place to provide coaching and feedback b) empower them to make more valid assessments of ways to improve the product, or provide decent feedback on issues on the product or ways in which it is being delivered. For example, I have read that some cabin crew feel that the current CW meal service is overly labour intensive.

There is probably something in the relationship between cabin service directors and their immediate line managers that also needs addressing, Good performance breeds good performance. It’s very much a top down thing. Problems can and do occur when one tier of management is unable to see how the tier below the one that they are managing are performing.

NTarrant
    Participant

Putting the strike issue aside, I agree Pixelmeister that some of the onboard problems are down to the management of the CSD, Cabin Manager, Purser call them what you will, ability to do the job.

Part of the problem is probably the fact that they are only a team for that round trip and not a permanat team which can bond and work as a team, with the CSD etc choosing his/her team.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Points well made Pixelmeister, NTarrant. I can think of no industry where the line person/immediate supervisor relationship is so temporary and disjoint.

Given this situation surely it would yield a greater number of successful outcomes to recruit more career orientated individuals than travel-the-world youngsters.

NTarrant
    Participant

Tete – not particularly, there is no reason why the “travel-the-world youngsters” can’t be part of a team. Ideally a team would consist of a mixture of skills from a person with 20 years to someone with perhaps a years service. They all get the benefit of each others experience no matter how short.

There is too much talk of inexperience and those on the mixed fleet being not as good. Everyone in that role has to start somewhere. At the end of the day the result is that whoever, does the job in accordance with the standard that is set.

pixelmeister
    Participant

Sorry, there has been a lot of rather uninformed talk about the standard of the newer recruits to BA.

I have been involved in recruitment for a few years. Standard procedure is to assess whether or not the candidate meets the initial criteria in terms of hard and soft skills. Age has nothing to do with it. In fact, in the current climate, you are ill advised to make decisions based on age as you will wind up on the wrong end of a court judgement. Now I cannot speak for BA, but I would think that their recruitment processes might be more stringent than my outfit. They may insist that candidates provide evidence that they meet all criteria as opposed to meet the majority and maybe not show evidence in one or two minor areas.

I’ve also been casting over a couple of other forums and get the impression that the majority of the new joiners at BA have previously worked as cabin crew, either as temps or for other airlines like Virgin or for charter carriers. This is somewhat at odds with the line being touted by some that they are all ‘gap year students’.

I also note from BA’s web site that promotion in the new fleet will be based on merit. Picking up on NTarrant’s point about the fact that cabin crew only come together as a team for short spells , I would consequently expect that part of the selection criteria would be for highly motivated, team oriented people. The sort who can behave in a professional manner and work together for the common good. I think it is probably quite hard to sustain that level of behaviour over a long period of time and eventually people do get burnt out. That is the point at which they need to recognise that it is time for a change. I’m thus not convinced that there is a such a thing as a career for the basic cabin crew. I can see that there is something if you go for advancement into one of the supervisory roles, but that opportunity will not be open for all.

Finally, there is a deal of difference between length of service and experience and capability. I have a staff member who has significant length of service, his experience is nowhere near that of one of his colleagues who has been with the company for two years. Why ? Because the colleague has worked for a range of different companies in our industry over the past ten years and brings a breadth that working for one outfit for 15 years simply doesn’t provide.

Alasdair
    Participant

I have no doubt new fleet have the ability to perform as a professional bunch of chirpy cabin crew (however, there would always be the odd bad egg), just like the majority of “old contract” BA crew. And indeed, they could actually work together to equal standards quite well.

To be honest, I have never had a bad flight with BA, but my preferred ones are those where crew show initiative and have let me maximise sleep if a short flight, and know to do the extras, like top my glass of wine etc…. I recently did a return flight from the US and the dinner service took near on 4 hours and the lights kept on bright even longer. It was crewed by the mixed fleet.

I had to ask for a refill by the way…

There are subtleties that “old contract” crew have picked up over the years that have undoubtedly proven popular with business travellers and now a largely inexperienced, whilst attractive, chirpy and outwardly professional mixed crew are having to pick up on all over again.

I have also been led to believe there has been a 17%turnover of this mixed fleet since inception due to the dogged T’s & C’s and being underpaid. Surely this is is already proving a costly exercise for BA in terms of training and other related issues?

Let’s face it, there is rarely a bad BA crew. Lately, they have been let down by a savagely diminished club product. For instance, being served up a plastic container of fruit OR yoghurt for a breakfast and the crew having to assemble the offering in front of you, or indeed, having to be constantly refused my choice of meal and sometimes the starter.

This just shouldn’t happen when BA’s fares are some of the highest in the sky. How do you think crew feel who constantly have to deal with such unnecessary situations? Surely it would become altogether embarrassing and deflating. “Old contract” crew have just been doing this longer.

There is a tone set by management in any company, and one which lets the team perform as they are trained and not oversee with an iron fist, is always, in my experience the most professional whilst happy go lucky.

Simple solution.. mix the contracts and have everyone flying together. Tweak the mixed fleets T’s & C’s to bring it back from being a near death experience and in line with current crew (proffering the salary they accepted upon joining, just as that of “old contract” crew).

pixelmeister
    Participant

Alasdair

Nice thoughts re: boosting the salary for Mixed Fleet to be on a par with the starting salary for the older contract crew. But it all falls apart when you look at the reason behind Mixed Fleet salaries.

In the vast majority of organisations the single largest cost is employee pay, pension and NI costs. You can do a certain amount with renegotiation with suppliers over cost of raw materials, but there is a finite limit on that. You can undertake economy drives to reduce overheads, but again, there is a point at which you can go no further and you hit it pretty soon. On the profit side, the market will only stand price rises for so much before you start to see sales tail off. No, if you can reduce your employee costs, you are on to a real winner.

In BA’s case it is abundantly apparent that the ‘old’ fleet cabin crew are paid vastly more than the industry average in the UK. The introduction of a new fleet with pay, terms and conditions that are closer aligned to the market rate will do a lot to redress the balance. To continue to pay over the odds is foolish. Do you believe it makes business sense to pay more than you need to for staff ? Forget the claptrap about experience, these are people who are new to your organisation. They have the requisite skills and competencies, do you see any justification for paying say 30% over the market rate for them ?

As far as integrating them with the other fleets at BA goes. I thought that one of the key differences (aside from pay) between this new fleet and the others is that they work both longhaul and shorthaul. To integrate them would mean placing all cabin crew on the same terms and conditions – shorthaul, longhaul and those at LGW. Would the Unite agree to that ? Can’t see it happening.

Alasdair
    Participant

Beside the point pixelmeister. BA once considered the wage offered to its “old contract” crew fair and reasonable and hence crew applied and accepted BA’s offer. Since then, other contracts of lower salaries have been offered and accepted likewise… to meet cost cutting objectives.

I never once suggested mixed fleet be paid on par with older contract crew. In my book this is completely unnecessary. BA had cost saving targets to meet in this department and they have met them already.

I suggested tweaking mixed fleets T’s & C’s to be able to fly with existing crew, or even employ them directly solely into WW but on the salary they are offered. T’s & C’s would of course, need to be negotiated WITH a Union body as BA has an elected unionised workforce.

In terms of “industry averages,” this just doesn’t wash. Are you then trying to tell me BA captains must earn the same as Easyjet’s (as they certainly fly comparable hours)? I don’t begrudge them their salary, as they simply accepted the significantly above “industry average” T’s & C’s that were offered to them. They were lucky, and revered by BA as were crew.

But there is a pattern forming in what you are saying though… so shall we expect an unequivocal reduction in the salary and bonuses paid to BA top brass any time soon? To be in line with management of say BMI.

I don’t think so, profits are being made, BA is being run more effectively, pay rises have been taken (even though they are gunning for the cull of those of cabin crew).

The only thing now which is standing between BA and sales is the news of constant internal misery (through constant backing of strikes) and a deteriorating product in the prime income earning cabin. I have never flown First, so I cannot comment on that (but these are only a handful of passengers correct?).

pixelmeister
    Participant

Alasdair

I don’t know what line of business you are in, but I note that you opted not to respond to my question regarding paying over the odds for staff. I know my company wouldn’t consider paying the kind of difference that you see between what BA was paying cabin crew and what Virgin does. I also noted that the deal offered to cabin crew last year included a 6% pay rise over two years, so your statement about BA gunning for a a cull of those amongst cabin crew is factually incorrect.

Let’s look somewhere other than flight and cabin crew. Let’s look at what BA pay office staff. I’ll wager that BA don’t pay 30-40% over the odds for its admin staff. If BA paid its managers significantly over the odds, then surely it would be a magnet for those who want something less stressful than a job in the City but that paid City wages. I don’t get the impression that this is the case though.

I do agree that the situation needs resolution, but also think that it is time that the two sides recognised their relative roles. Management are there to manage the business. Unions are there to advise of the effect of management decisions on their members. Note the word advise. Unions do not have the right to dictate how the business should be run. We live in a free society. If we don’t like the terms and conditions that our employers are offering, we have the ability to take our skills and capabilities elsewhere. Slavery in the UK went out centuries ago. If an organisation encounters difficulties in the recruitment and retention of staff, it makes business sense to work out why and do something to redress the balance. I note that the latest ballot did not centre on one issue but was a ragbag of ten grievances. I’d love to know why, if they were so terrible, they were not included in the ballots in 2009/10. To my way of thinking what we are seeing is a union that simply has no interest in settling this dispute. One has to wonder now whether this is down to the management/union relationship or some wider political agenda.

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Amazing – BA (IAG) Shares dive from £280 to around £230 and Walsh can get a bonus over 800,000 shares for PERFORMANCE – value over £1.8 million ?

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/market-news/market-news-detail.html?announcementId=10829542

Walsh gets well paid for doing his job, a bonus should be paid for high performance.

Pixelmeister refers to inflight performance. Lets start at the top, where is Walsh’s high performance? Surely nothing should be paid until his strategies are proven to actually increase shareholder value.

What message does this send to the front line team who have voted for industrial action?

This award is obscene.

Can only hope it is an April fool.

craigwatson
    Participant

Alasdair – “Are you then trying to tell me BA captains must earn the same as Easyjet’s (as they certainly fly comparable hours)”

Really Bassa needs to get its figures right when it comes to comparing pilot wages. For one thing you cant compare BA’s top Capt. pay with easyjet, as easy has no long haul operations, and the highest figure for BA capt. is the long haul figure. you cant even compare to virgin, as its a much smaller company and not comparable.

You can get all pilots pay from aslmost every airline out there available at http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com

For example

LH top payscale for capt – 240000 euros
    LH base payscale for capt – 132000 euros

BA top payscale for capt – 144000 pounds
    BA base payscale for capt – 69000 pounds

easyjet (there is no top/bottom) – 82000 pounds

Although BOTH LH and easyjet captains get pay awards based on company profits, which BA captains dont get. Easyjet pilots also get pay bonuses based on years of service, but again you cant compare BA to Easyjet, thats like comparing a Ford to Ferrari.

The most comparable airline to BA is LH.

craigwatson
    Participant

QF top – 192000 pounds (300000 aud)
    QF base -121000 pounds (200000 aud)

Alasdair
    Participant

So why is it then BA believes their crew are paid above “uk industry average” including the likes of Easyjet which they lately have been compared? Easyjet do long ranges as you say Craig. In any case, and I repeat myself.. BA offers a wage and the applicant accept this – as what happened with old contract crew. They have had a chance to adjust this and now employ crew on a measly wage which has achieved their cost savings across cabin crew.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 129 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls