787 Cleared To Fly Again

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Anonymous

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

Indeed.

I was told that BA are taking delivery of three of these in Q3 and another one in Q4.

Is that still happening?

I gather production has been kept up but that, obviously, test flights are now way behind schedule.

Bucksnet
    Participant

BA deliveries seem to be on schedule.

UA are planning to return their 787s to service at the end of May, but maybe even sooner.

canucklad
    Participant

Unless I’ve missed something, did they ever find out definatively why the batteries over heated and caught fire in the first place ?

This seems te be work round to get the aircraft airborne again…

BA319131
    Participant

No canucklad, this ‘fix’, is simply a way to contain a battery fire in the event it occurs, they can’t trace the fault which led to the two JL & NH incidents.

canucklad
    Participant

I’m not a nervous flyer….but….don’t think a 787 flight would be my first choice!…

Inquisitive
    Participant

Surely Boeing has to present definitive root cause analysis and proper mitigation to FAA, otherwise they will not be allow to fly.
    There the at least 3 layers of protection to the batteries. First the design shall ensure enough ampere-hour (juice) is available for the load and type of battery (Ni-Cad or others) electrolyte is good for no thermal runaway. It looks like some amount of thermal runaway happened. The second is limit on charging voltage so as to allow no overcharging. And thirdly, if thermal runaway happens, the battey enclosure shall be good enough to contain the fire. Although there was minor fire, but in essence the battery enclosures saved the day.
    The above problems can be resolved. All modern planes rely heavily on batteries.
    These problems can b fixed and I am sure Boeing is

Inquisitive
    Participant

Surely Boeing has to present definitive root cause analysis and proper mitigation to FAA, otherwise they will not be allow to fly.
    There the at least 3 layers of protection to the batteries. First the design shall ensure enough ampere-hour (juice) is available for the load and type of battery (Ni-Cad or others) electrolyte is good for no thermal runaway. It looks like some amount of thermal runaway happened. The second is limit on charging voltage so as to allow no overcharging. And thirdly, if thermal runaway happens, the battey enclosure shall be good enough to contain the fire. Although there was minor fire, but in essence the battery enclosures saved the day.
    The above problems can be resolved. All modern planes rely heavily on batteries.
    These problems can b fixed and I am sure Boeing is

VintageKrug
    Participant

You can be certain that is a similar issue had afflicted an airbus, the FAA would not have jumped through so many hoops to re-certify as fast as it has.

Rockhopper
    Participant

The BBC is today quoting Larry Loftis, who is the programme manager for the 787, saying “It is possible we will never know the root cause. It is not uncommon not to have found the single root cause. So industry practice is to look at all the potential causes and address all of them.”

I am not an engineer but that just seems like PR speak for “We don’t know what the issue is but we hope we fixed it.”

I just hope the FAA have made the right call with re-certification

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

BigDog.
    Participant

“It is possible we may never know the root cause.”

The fix ….
    Improved batteries which don’t have to work so hard + stainless steel boxes severely limit oxygen + external ventilation pipe if system fails.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22251756

VintageKrug
    Participant

Nice, but why the grey nacelles?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/microvolt/8638178017/

BA319131
    Participant

VK, they can only be blue or grey, something to do with the way the air flows over the nacelle, anything else will increase the fuel consumption. Given BA’s A380 paint was only the thickness of a human hair I had hoped this might be suitable, at this point appears not – that said, the aircraft is on the paint shop now being finished off……

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls