747 no more

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

• ChrisJR
    Participant

I was reminiscing about my experiences upstairs on BA 747 flights – Cape Town, Miami, San Francisco and Lagos. About 10 times in total. Last flight was to Lagos in early 2019 – I was upgraded from WT+ at check-in and was assigned a lower deck seat – to my surprise there were still plenty of seats upstairs available on the seat map so I changed to 60J I think. The upper deck was such a delightful experience – was better than BA first class as far as I was concerned. You really do forget about the 300+ other people on the plane. Only comparable experience was flying the Qatar all business class A319 which was less than half full. I did fly upstairs on the Thai (747-400) and Lufthansa (747-800) but I felt the BA yin-yang configuration actually worked better. I hope they put some of the Jumbos to good use – I actually reckon you could market them as some kind of tourist / hospitality attraction (two hours sat upper deck with free flowing drinks etc).

2 users thanked author for this post.

bobm
    Participant

Very sad to see the 747s of our airlines move to retirement. Having grown up with them they have always been a part of my life. Sad to read Qantas have now flown their last flight over Sydney. Have flown with Qantas for many years on Business & Pleasure to Melbourne & Sydney it will be sad to see them going. I will miss my favourite seat 5J on the 747, those who have sat in 5J or 5A will know why.

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1004547]Sad to read Qantas have now flown their last flight over Sydney.

[/quote]https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-53509361

And a classy touch , remember my QF 747 flights with great fondness , especially the Cairns -Sydney flight

2 users thanked author for this post.

jjlasne
    Participant

I have flown on Pan Am, British Airways, Air France, Corsair and Tower Air Boeing 747’s but my last flight was on Qantas from SFO to Sydney. I did not know then that it was my last B747 flight but I will remember it fondly. Incidentally, we returned on the Airbus A380 to LAX. What a difference. The Airbus felt a lot bigger, heavier which it is but also smoother.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Further memories of 747 travel, I was fortunate to visit the cockpit during flight, prior to 9/11, en route from Johannesburg to London. It was especially memorable, as the captain invited me back to the cockpit for landing at Heathrow.

Regrettably no movie footage to share, but the view from the cockpit as one descends, and gets on to final approach is truly amazing. A few hours in the BA simulator is worth every penny, so treat yourself, if it is still available.

In February 2019, I managed to record this footage of our take off roll, heading from JFK to LHR. The sound of those engines is a melody with which we are all familiar, and the sight of those magical RR engines.

jjlasne
    Participant

Think about it: American aircraft with British engines just like during the war with the American fighter aircraft like the Mustang using the famous Merlin engine.

thecartoonman
    Participant

I had a similar visit to the cockpit for landing on a Virgin 747 from Tokyo to LHR, the view as we came over the Thames Estuary and then banking over Central London was amazing and of course, so different from just looking out of your seat window.

After we had landed, the comical piece was out came a map of LHR and a discussion from the pilots as to how exactly they were going to get to the right gate number, which was quite a way away, priceless and never forgotten.

3 users thanked author for this post.

ontherunhome
    Participant

My son took these a couple of hours ago at CWL. A 747 undertakers, before ethe final journey. Hope yo enjoy.

trident3
    Participant

Memorable 747 flights? Philippine AL B747-200’s to/from MNL from LGW and SFO in early 80’s,
    14 beds upstairs for FCL pax, when few, if any, others had them. They were, it is claimed,
    the only ones approved for take-off and landing. Certainly the best way to see (or NOT see)
    some of the stopovers required by the -200’s shortish range, and PAL’s multistop flights.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

I remember that configuration well and it was relatively shortlived as you had a choice to book a sleeper seat or a regular first class recliner and a bed upstairs. The beds were like in a dorm and the middle ones were like bunks. A lot of people werent keen on those in particular. I thought it was brilliant as travelled with my parents at the time, and loved the bunk bed style. Tried it three times I think, and yes, we were allowed to remain in the bed for landing at HNL and takeoff again.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls