747 Accident

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Is anyone able to give credibility or any authenticity to this article. If has appearently been shown on US networks, but so far nothing in the UK (that I have seen or read)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/04/30/180107632/video-may-show-747-jets-last-seconds-before-bagram-crash

esselle
    Participant

I did see something about this yesterday; I am in the UK but cannot recall where it was that I saw it.

It does look pretty authentic, but then who can say. Given the dramatic footage, you would imagine it would have been more widely distributed.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

its the silence and calmness by the guy sitting in the car that get me. You would think a 747 going down anywhere would get reported more widely in the press and TV networks.

BigDog.
    Participant

I disagree Martyn, the military always are (need to be) secretive when it involves loss of life especially until the facts are known. Just because it is a 747 is IMO immaterial, it could have been a Galaxy or Hercules – any aircraft in a war zone would be deemed a target.

Given the stresses & angles are greatest during take-off, the speculation that the cargo moved causing catastrophic imbalance appears plausible at this time.

Californian
    Participant

The accident and footage do appear to be real. Articles in FlightGlobal have commented on the accident and the NTSB is sending an investigative team. It’s the lead item on the NTSB’s home page: ntsb.gov.

IamSpartacus
    Participant

Prelim accident report

Date: 29 APR 2013
    Time: ca 15:00
    Type: Boeing 747-428BCF
    Operator: National Airlines (National Air Cargo)
    C/n / msn: 25630/960
    First flight: 1993-01-29 (20 years 3 months)
    Engines: 4 General Electric CF6-80C2B1F
    Crew: Fatalities: 7 / Occupants: 7
    Passengers: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 0
    Total: Fatalities: 7 / Occupants: 7
    Airplane damage: Destroyed
    Airplane fate: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
    Phase: Takeoff (TOF)
    Nature: Cargo
    Departure airport: Bagram Air Base (BPM/OAIX), Afghanistan
    Destination airport: Dubai World Central – Al Maktoum International Airport (DWC/OMDW), United Arab Emirates
    Flightnumber: 102
    Narrative:
    A Boeing 747-400BCF cargo plane, operated by National Air Cargo, crashed on takeoff from Bagram Air Base (BPM), Afghanistan. A base spokesman said the aircraft crashed from a low altitude right after takeoff. A fire erupted. An air base official reported that all seven crew members were killed in the accident.
    Bagram Air Base has a single concrete runway, 03/21 of 11819 feet (3602 m) in length. According to eyewitness reports, the airplane attained a very steep nose-up attitude immediately after takeoff from runway 03. It rolled left and right and entered a stall, descending towards the ground until it struck the ground near the end of the runway.

Reportedly N949CA operated into Bagram as flight NCR510 from Châteauroux Airport Airport (CHR), France on April 28. The identity of the accident airplane has not yet been confirmed by authorities.

A thunderstorm with Cumulonimbus clouds was approaching the air base at the time of the accident. A weather report shows winds began shifting from 100 degrees at 09:55 UTC to 350 degrees at 10:55 UTC. Accident time was about 15:00 LT / 10:30 UTC:

IamSpartacus
    Participant

Sadly all on board died.

HonestCrew
    Participant

It is believed this freighter was carrying military vehicles. On take-off, possibly due to incorrect restraining of the vehicles, the load shifted to the rear of the aircraft to such an extent that the pilots were unable to lower the nose and avoid a stall. At such a low altitude and speed they had no chance to recover and fell like a stone.
    Such a shame.

Bucksnet
    Participant

This was reported on RT yesterday (channel 512 or 518 HD). A much better source of news than the CP/DVD/EU/GO2 controlled MSM in Britain, but a cargo plane crash is not going to get as much coverage as a passenger one.

Basically one or more of the military vehicles it was carrying was not properly secured, and rolled backwards. The excessive weight towards the rear pushed the nose up and stalled the plane. There was nothing the pilot could of done.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Martyn

Re the lack of reaction from the driver of the vehicle.

I was working with a company in the defence sector this week, the group including some ex forces officers.

Their view was that he was probably battle hardened and reacted calmly, e.g. he stopped his vehicle and reversed away from the impending crash, then took control and blocked the road with hs vehicle.

As to saying very little, it appears he was a K9 handler (thus the need to calm the dog) and apparently they are trained to be restrained when with their charge.

The video is one of the most sickening things I’ve seen for a long time and may they all rest in peace.

JordanD
    Participant

As others have said, this video has been commented for its authenticity elsewhere online – captured ‘right place right time’; don’t forget that dashboard mounted cameras are common elsewhere in the world (cf the recent meteor captured in Russia by multiple dashboard cameras).

As others have mentioned, the plane (albeit a 747) was effectively a military transport aircraft, and cargo military aircraft getting into accidents or incidents tend to be heavily underreported.

Initial speculation (its cargo apparently was 5 vehicles) was that there was a cargo move on climb out and that this caused the problems you tragically saw.

A sad, tragic incident. May they rest in peace.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls