6 months passport validity rule

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

One of my biggest fears when travelling is losing my passport – hence why I travel with my second passport, packed separately from my the one I am using.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Oh, and one follow up. If you have your passport stolen abroad, you are likely only to be given a one-year replacement by any British consulate overseas. You will need, shortly thereafter, to obtain a full passport renewal. Should your original stolen passport turn up, do not under any circumstances attempt to re-use it or you will get into deep water with the Border Agency.

I learned the hard way.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Anthony

That nearly happened to me in Sydney. 2 hours after I reported it lost I got a call to say I was a lucky chap and it had just been handed in before they cancelled it. So was able to continue using it and not wait 6 weeks for a full 10 year passport rather than just get a 1 year passport.

icenspice
    Participant

My British passport was stolen in a Brussels train station 14 years ago and the Embassy in Luxembourg – where I had recently moved – promptly issued me with a 10-year one. When I lost that one! I tried to replace it via an agency but the application was rejected because the photo background was too white.

I decided that since I have dual nationality not to apply again, thinking my other passport was enough. What a silly boy I was/am ?

And that is the one I am renewing, although I still have my first navy blue with a scary pic as a 15 year old!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Icenspice, your post made me look at my old passports. Frightening! Though it did bring back memories of tea with the (British) consul in Amsterdam, Geneva and Dubai (lost pp) while they issued me with a new passport. Very civilised and in Geneva they even helped me fill in the forms and certified my photo as they knew me personally!

The Blue book was magnificent and much better I think than that standardised burgundy excuse for an ID document today. In my first pp it even showed my height, occupation and residence. The Swiss went one further and in addition they gave the colour of my eyes and hair! But I guess in those days colour photo’s were not that common. None of that information is shown today.

Oh, and they were all handwritten, no typewritten jobs then!
    I hope a consequence of Brexit will be to bring back the old blue passports.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

[quote quote=758939]

I hope a consequence of Brexit will be to bring back the old blue passports.

[/quote]

Personally, I would be more than happy to retain the burgundy coloured one and not have to go to the expense and through the pain in the *rs* hassle of having to obtain visas for future continental European travel. Mind you, that is as nothing compared with the 60+ pages of documentation that would be required by any UK exporter should we exit the Customs Union.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls