‘5 star’ treatment of a Parlympian……

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

BBC report on a rather poor show by Qatar…..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34748080

It will be interesting to see how they explain this away……

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Sounds to me as if the airport assistance was either not booked or did not turn up.

Qatar are not responsible for providing disabled assistance at EU ports, the airport authority is.

Once again, it sounds as if the passenger was let down, on the face of things ( we have not heard the airport’s side of the story.)

SimonS1
    Participant

I’m surprised that the airport is responsible for on board assistance.

Plus the airline “said cabin crew were properly trained to provide appropriate assistance to passengers with disabilities” so seems to be accepting some responsibility in this.

theflyingnurse
    Participant

The cabin crew should have been aware of the on-board wheelchair to take her to the exit door where she could have been transferred to her own (apparently damaged) wheelchair. Sounds like a horrible experience. http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/en-us/articles/206466808-Onboard-facilities-for-passengers-with-reduced-mobility

FDOS_UK
    Participant

SimonS1

Maybe surprising, but nonetheless you will find this in para 5 of EC1107/2006…

“Assistance given at airports situated in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies should, among other things, enable disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility to proceed from a designated point of arrival at an airport to an aircraft and from the aircraft to a designated point of departure from the airport, including embarking and disembarking.”

This is para 6

“To achieve these aims, ensuring high quality assistance at airports should be the responsibility of a central body. As managing bodies of airports play a central role in providing services throughout their airports, they should be given this overall responsibility”

And para 7

“Managing bodies of airports may provide the assistance to disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility themselves. Alternatively, in view of the positive role played in the past by certain operators and air carriers, managing bodies may contract with third parties for the supply of this assistance, without prejudice to the application of relevant rules of Community law, including those on public procurement”

Source: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2006:204:0001:0009:EN:PDF

None of which excuses the unacceptable experience this lady had.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Forum readers might find this worth reviewing

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/omniserv.com

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

FDOS_UK

Wow………quite unbelievable

FDOS_UK
    Participant

seasonedtraveller – 10/11/2015 05:16 GMT

I’ve seen similar cases at various airports, where upset disabled pax are waiting for their helpers and becoming concerned they may miss their flights.

Charles-P
    Participant

I have a disabled relative who needs assistance at airports and he has a multitude of stories like these. Being left waiting is often the case, inappropriate comments from crew are depressingly common and it is clear that for many airports disabled travelers are an inconvenience.

Interestingly he always has praise for South African Airways and the staff at Jan Smuts who he says are the best at any airport he has used.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Charles-P – 10/11/2015 08:31 GMT

I’ve seen it, too often. Whilst I am not disabled and do not have any disabled friends/family, the way we treat our fellow human beings in this respect is quite disgraceful and unacceptable.

Whilst EC261 has had a generally positive impact, I fear that EC1107 has made it more difficult to pin responsibility/redress down, as the pax has no commercial relation ship with the service provider.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The most distasteful treatment of a wheel chair passenger I saw and heard, was at MCO, where I heard a wheel chair pusher NEGOTIATE with his passenger the size of the tip needed to get the elderly occupant to the gate in time.

I reported the incident to the airline rep at the gate and pointed out the passenger, but in typical American fashion, “I don’t want to get involved”.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls