48 hour UK visit from France

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Bullfrog
    Participant

I am planning to fly from Bergerac (Dordogne) to Stansted, from which I shall take a taxi to a residential address which is currently occupied by one other person.

48 hours later, I plan to drive my car to Eurotunnel at Folkestone, and directly back to the Dordogne.

Please can anyone tell me if I will be in breach of any UK quarantine guideline.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

My understanding is that, whilst in the UK you would have to comply with self-isolation obligations as France is no longer on the green list. If the person you are staying with is a friend, then that is ok, but then you should not entertain any other visitors (non-residents) during your stay. Ideally that person should pick you from the airport, or you should rent a car (as opposed to using public transport). You should minimise contact, as far as possible, with the person you are staying with and occupy a separate, well-ventilated room/space and comply with standard sanitary guidance. You should not leave the house during the period, unless absolutely necessary. As far as the drive back is concerned, I do not see any problem. The 14-day self-isolation does not prevent you leaving the country at any time. Just be aware that the fine for non-compliance is up to 1000 pounds.

In simple terms, I don’t think you will have a problem.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Provided you isolate at the designated residential address in the 48 hours you are in UK there are no issues.

Kimi_CDG
    Participant

[postquote quote=1009052][/postquote]

Not related but the use of the verb “should” in official publications is interesting. Why not “must”?
    Also, why do we talk about “guidance” and not “rules” since you risk a fine if you breach them?

Regarding the question of the OP, a friend of mine has flown back to London from Greece after the country was removed from the green list.
    5 days later, he spent the weekend in Croatia and is now completing his quarantine period back in London. No issue traveling as long as the contact details you provide are the correct ones whilst in the UK.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Whatever you do, and whether or not you adhere to the regulations (or is it “guidelines”? I lost track some time ago), the chances of your ever actually being tracked and traced is minimal. And with barely a few hundred £100 fixed penalty notices having been issued for infraction of the rules/regulations/guidelines, you are going to be back in la belle France well before either Public Health England or Mr Plod gets anywhere near feeling your collar.

But well done for actually wishing to adhere to the spirit as well as the letter of the whichever it is. This stands in stark contrast with certain public figures who have done everything they could to undermine the “we are all in this together” message that ought to have informed public opinion and conduct.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls