45 minutes of free Wi-Fi Available at London Heathrow from 1st June

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Anonymous

BugAdvisor
    Participant

Heathrow Airport announce that free wi-fi will be available from the 1st June 2013 – although my guess is that technical delays could push this date back slightly. I imagine that you would search for the wi-fi signal and then a login screen will ask you to agree and maybe also collect your email address. After that you should get 45 minutes of wi-fi for free.

If 45 minutes isn’t enough for you, then you can double this amount by applying for a free ‘Heathrow rewards’ card http://www.heathrow.com/rewards. This is the new name for the current ‘Worldpoints card’. The card also allows you to collect points on Heathrow airport purchases and parking. Points can be converted into vouchers, BA Avios and Virgin miles. So I ‘m guessing the free wi-fi login screen will have a field for you Rewards card number (16 digits!) or the email associated with your Rewards account (better).

Please comment on your experience with this free wi-fi service and note the terminal, connection speed and ease of login. I also added this post to my travel blog http://www.bugadvisor.com so you can also leave comments there. If you have any screenshots of the new login screen then you can email them to <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected]

SimonS1
    Participant

Why limit it to 45 mins?

BugAdvisor
    Participant

I’m guessing they want to restrict th enumber of people connected and maintain the connection speed (contention ratio). In Prague airport it is 15 minutes – after that you can pay. It may be that the wi-fi provider puts in free wi-fi for 45 minutes and makes money from those who extend the time.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

Good for “foreigners” at the airport. I would imagine most local residents have more than enough coverage with our providers plan.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I think Heathrow should charge for wifi and make the charge very high – let the visitors pay……. for a change…

BugAdvisor
    Participant

It is more use for people who don’t already have a UK data-inclusive tariff. But then it may be that you have an iPad or laptop without a SIM card and want to get on without trying to set up a personal hotspot on your phone etc.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

Impressive command of English from the Heathrow rewards website!!

“Your details has been successfully updated”

trident3
    Participant

“I think Heathrow should charge for wifi and make the charge very high – let the visitors pay……. for a change…” says MS.

Really ? You never use free wifi at the other end of your travels then, MS?

VintageKrug
    Participant

I think this is to be welcomed, and makes life easier for those flying in from abroad.

I’ve never paid for wifi at an airport overseas, but am always grateful when it is provided (and works properly!) as it’s often a timely opportunity to radio home and confirm all is well.

BigDog.
    Participant

Just four of Britain’s 25 biggest airports offer free unlimited Wi-Fi access, new research has revealed…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10088591/Airport-Wi-Fi-charges-revealed.html

“Britain’s two busiest hubs – Gatwick and Heathrow – both charge £3.95 per hour or £9.95 for a whole day, although passengers at the former are permitted 15 minutes of free use. “

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Trident3 – I have never paid for wifi at airports for a long time trident3. Its just that we Brits suffer high airport charges in the UK and the airports continually moan about lack of revenue.

Create revenue streams where the Brits wont suffer, as people say, most of us will benefit from our mobile phone tariffs. Those that don’t have mobile phone tariffs, let them pay…. otherwise, how else will the costs be covered.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Can you work out formerlyBAA’s motivation for this, Martyn? What might possibly be in it for them….?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls