300 Euros fine for not wearing a mask inflight to Amsterdam

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

• TupeloKid
    Participant

[postquote quote=1003361][/postquote]

I have seen Elvis masks advertised on the Interweb!

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1003386]As canucklad says any marginal gains are worthwhile but I wonder how many people have been lulled into a false sense of security by wearing something that has no protective measures at all.[/quote]

SimonS1 – precisely the point I have been making for weeks.

You are also correct about the amount of junk being sold. No CE marking with the CE number displayed for checking purposes – DON’T buy. However, apparently MartynSynclair and I live in the same area – and like him, I have noticed that most retailers are selling decent masks, but sometimes they are also selling junk.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1003386]My wife had to have some as you can’t take a blood test at the doctors without it.[/quote]

I hope Mrs SimonS1’s blood test come back fully fit and healthy. My local GP will not conduct any blood test in surgery instead referring patients to a hospital.

@ASK1945
    – the only place i will trust to buy masks is the pharmacy diagonally opposite Nat West Bank by the roundabout. Good selection, fair priced and sealed. Very early on the pharmacy opposite the underground station further up, were selling plain (non n95) masks and not sealed for £10 per mask.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=1003454]I hope Mrs SimonS1’s blood test come back fully fit and healthy. My local GP will not conduct any blood test in surgery instead referring patients to a hospital.[/quote]

Thanks, yes I was quite surprised too.

The other thing funny was my Mum aged 84 has a knee issue. She went to the GP who said you need a MRI but it will need to wait till the hospital xray re-opens. As luck has it my sister works in NHS, in fact they have never been closed, it was just poor information from GP. Called the hospital at 4pm, they said can you come tomorrow, when she got there the Xray department was deserted. I wonder how much other ‘capacity’ is being wasted.

2 users thanked author for this post.

openfly
    Participant

A hint on making sure a used mask is virus free…I gather that 10 secs in the microwave kills any bugs.

fatbear
    Participant

[postquote quote=1003454][/postquote]

At least my local GP practice is doing blood tests. You have to wear a mask ( and now pay for parking ) though.

SimonS1
    Participant

So it seems people think face masks give a “feeling of safety”…

IATA: Facemasks Among Top Three Measures That Create “A Feeling of Safety”

andrew.gill
    Participant

just double check there’s no metal band to provide a snug fit around the nose …

andrew

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I will start of by saying I am a face mask user.

The use of face masks on aircraft will only work on short haul routes, whilst in flight service is minimal. It will be impossible to enforce the wearing of face masks in the longer term, especially when in flight service starts to expand and during a longhaul flight

Some of the issues:

+ on boarding, the DYKWIA important business people with phones stuck to their ears … “excuse me I will use my mask when this important call finishes”

+ people wanting to eat and drink, will need to remove masks. Once in cruise, people will undoubtedly remove them to sleep. Will cabin crew be able to wake people to enforce the use of a face covering. When passengers finish eating, how will cabin crew enforce mask wearing

+ I would imagine in flight safety briefings/videos will all need to change. Do you remove mask before using the oxygen mask in case of emergency

+ passengers walking to the toilets without a mask – will they be lynched by other passengers

+ passengers wanting to talk to each other “oh, lets remove the mask so we can speak properly”

I imagine eventually, mask wearing will cause as much trouble as people trying to take fotos inside of the aircraft and crew objecting due to ‘safety issues’.

Some people will, some people wont… but will the airlines be able to 100% enforce. My view is no…

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I agree with Martyn, it’s going to be like quarantine regulations, impractical, poorly thought out, of arguable benefit, and almost unenforceable. Will carriers be able to enforce and if so how, and what will be the consequences of non-adherence? It’s hardly practical to suggest landing at nearest airport, the practical deterrent will be arrest on arrival, but it’s going to keep the authorities very busy.

Apart from DYKWIA and ‘I pay your salary’, there will be arguments about ‘I was wearing it but I took it off to blow my nose/have a sip of water/I haven’t finished my meal’. Not to mention ‘I’m a doctor and I know that there’s no point in wearing it so I won’t.’

I did take pleasure some years ago whilst on a LH flight from FRA. Mr DYKWIA in front of me in C was on an ‘important’ phone call and was asked at least 3 times to put his phone off for departure. Next there was an announcement from the flight deck as we came to a halt. “Ladies and gentleman, captain speaking. Sorry for the delay but those of you on the left hand side of the aircraft will see a small blue van approaching. This is the German Bundesgrenzschutz Polizei who are coming on board to remove the passenger in seat 1A who refuses to obey safety instructions.”
    He even got lippy with the 3 armed police and tried to hang on to his seat, and they hauled him off, ever so gently (!), to applause from the entire aircraft.

6 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls