300 Euros fine for not wearing a mask inflight to Amsterdam

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

• TupeloKid
    Participant

Apologies – the link somehow didn’t post. I’ll try again:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/ugcPost-6683205745439309824-abr6

Statistical effect of mask wearing

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Below are a few of several dozen statistical analysis of the effects of mask-wearing and social distancing.
    All studies come to the statistical conclusion that mask wareing and social distancing are hugely effective in controlling the spread of the virus.

The evidence is so overwhelming that I despair for the many thousands of lives needlessly lost due poor advise and administration of controls by authorities particularly in the UK and the USA given the almost unlimited resources available in these countries. They should have done better and history will not be kind.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7177146/https:

//www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/https:

//www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.03.20051649v1.full.pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/340603522_Face_Masks_Against_COVID-19_An_Evidence_Reviewhttps:

//science.thewire.in/the-sciences/novel-coronavirus-transmission-face-masks-goggles-protection-statistical-effect-studies/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-masks-study/widespread-mask-wearing-could-prevent-covid-19-second-waves-study-idUSKBN23G37V

4 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

This morning I read two news articles about distancing.

One was a well written piece by a journalist who did part time work in a pub in London. On Saturday night, despite her own measures, she was shocked by the total disregard of both the publican and the customers, who not only failed to observe any distancing, but mocked her for wearing a mask and trying to distance.
    inews.co.uk/opinion/unsafe-working-pub-on-super-saturday-that-i-quit-492158

The other was about pubs which have had to close again due to being found to be infected with CV19 after the weekend opening.
    inews.co.uk/news/pubs-closed-shut-again-postive-coronavirus-tests-covid-19-guidelines-497789

On Saturday my son did a 9 hour TGV journey across France to Brussels. Not only was the train packed in both classes, but he said there was no enforcement of wearing masks on boarding nor during the journey, and he said less than 50% wore masks during the journey.

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

Tupelokid, Cwoodward. I know we are residents of the same city, and that mask wearing was probably new to all of us this year. I would prefer not to but have embraced it nonetheless.

I do believe that the collective response in HK to mask wearing has helped this crowded city weather Covid relatively well compared to a lot of other countries

Expert advice in the meantime has changed to one of advising that masks are of no benefit to advocating their use, with either marginal or substantial benefits of doing so

PeterCoultas
    Participant

In short, if currently available reasonably priced masks were effective against virus transmission they would be much more useful….I would happily wear an effective mask that protected me but am not remotely interested in wearing masks that merely make the ignorant feel (in reality without justification) more safe….

3 users thanked author for this post.

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

PeterCoultas. A lot of the comments made here on the benefits of wearing masks are related to their help in reducing transmission of the virus, and not in protecting the wearer from catching the virus.

There is limited evidence to suggest that wearing a mask will give you protection. However, there is a lot of support for wearing a mask to help reduce the transmission of the virus to others if you are sick or asymptomatic.

The point being is that, if the vast majority of the population wear a mask, as they do in the city I live in, then that helps to reduce overall transmission levels

I just watched a report on Sky News, the British version that we get over here that repeats the same news and stories on a never ending loop. The take up for wearing masks in the UK is apparently one of the lowest in the World.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1003218]The take up for wearing masks in the UK is apparently one of the lowest in the World.[/quote]

David – you are correct that the takeup of wearing masks in the UK is low – less than 25% from people I pass in the street, from my own anecdotal observations.

The main problem for me, both here in the UK and in other countries, is the apparent belief by so many “wearers” that Covid enters the body through the chin (apparently, given that the mask is being worn under there). Additionally, so many of those wearing them on their face are using flimsy, cheap masks which are dangerous to them and other people as they actually give no protection whatsoever – they don’t inhibit this small particle size virus in anyway, but give the wearer a confidence that is misplaced. Finally, there are the wearers who are wearing an appropriate mask, but which they have not fitted properly, or they keep fiddling with it – another substantial proportion.

Properly wearing masks of an appropriate quality will give some benefit to both wearer and others, but they are very few in number – and they are too expensive for many to consider wearing them. In relevant places I wear an appropriate quality reusable (expensive) mask, properly fitted and for not too long. I carry more than one in a clean new bag with me and place used masks into a container for appropriate sanitisation immediately after use. But, my background is in healthcare. It is simply not practical to expect others to follow my example.

openfly
    Participant

I tested positive some weeks ago…asymptomatic positive. I, therefore, always wear a mask when in the presence of others to ensure that others do not catch any virus that I might breathe out. Am I being silly? I also wear my mask over mouth and nose while I see a growing fashion of masks being worn on the chin!!

2 users thanked author for this post.

TupeloKid
    Participant

Chin masks, FFS! What next, knee masks? A lapel badge with the word ‘mask’ on it?

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

So many issues here….but the sale of masks (and other PPE) must be the greatest commercial racket around.

My wife ordered a box from Amazon, described as “surgical masks”. However when they arrived they were in a box clearly marked “not for medical use” (surgical masks not for medical use??) and basically just cheap Chinese crap that wouldn’t protect anyone from anything.

Amazon weren’t interested, until she took to Twitter…..

I wonder how many people have been fooled along the way, the pressure to wear masks again pandering to the “something must be done” folks whilst in reality making no difference at all. That is before we move in to the so called “fashion masks”….

capetonianm
    Participant

SimonS1 I am disappointed and surprised to hear that as in my experience Amazon are generally very fair and take customer complaints seriously.

I am wondering if the UV ‘wands’ that have have been mentioned on another thread are also going to be a bit of tomfoolery that will have people coughing up money for something that won’t do what they expect from it.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1003361]My wife ordered a box from Amazon, described as “surgical masks”. However when they arrived they were in a box clearly marked “not for medical use” (surgical masks not for medical use??) and basically just cheap Chinese crap that wouldn’t protect anyone from anything.[/quote]

[quote quote=1003361]I wonder how many people have been fooled along the way, the pressure to wear masks again pandering to the “something must be done” folks whilst in reality making no difference at all. That is before we move in to the so called “fashion masks”….[/quote]

Nice to see you taking such a responsible way forward and ensuring you have a stock of masks, just as the medical and scientific advisers in the UK are suggesting. “Something must be done” is in fact a good strap line from you.

Out of interest, I am finding most pharmacies around where I live in north London not only supply a variety of masks at a reasonable cost, but also sell them sealed.

canucklad
    Participant

Other comments I’ve made on this topic ,on this thread and others on the forum would suggest that I’m anti -mask wearing.

Not necessarily the case . I’m a firm believer in marginal gains.

Where I have a problem with mask wearing is , when those marginal gains are achieved not by strategic advice , but by governments (not just ours) imposing a blanket approach because the scientific advice is becoming so inconsistent that it begins to undermine the credibility of all the advice

As I was waking up this morning, I heard (admittedly half asleep) on Radio Scotland an advocate for wearing masks suggest that new evidence points to Covid being an airborne virus after all .
    For those out there who weren’t already paranoid and scared out their wits, well this person just ratcheted up their fears by another notch. Or three

My biggest worry with masks is simply this…..
    The imposition (rule) that we now wear them whenever we are out and about reeks of , we don’t know what to do next rather than focusing on what collectively we should have been doing from the start….aggressively test, trace , isolate and eradicate rather than our incredibly passive approach of mass house arrest now followed by mass mask wearing.

Rather than extending the testing regime, Scotland’s draconian approach seems to be, masks on -fingers crossed as we snail pace towards something or another. Vagueness which leads to mistrust, fear and continued reticence to invest /spend cash to save our fellow Scots jobs

As always , I’ll add ….. I don’t blame Nicola or Boris for their mistakes, that blame lies east with an insecure totalitarian regime

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1003363][/postquote]

In my view Amazon have done very well through Covid saga and are either under pressure from volumes or just complacent.

I ordered a pair of garden snippers. Ring at the door and a guy with white van and heavy foreign accent just said “I want your date of birth”. I told him to get lost and he stomped off. Turned out it was the delivery, they needed some ID. Redelivered the next day by someone who had appropriate communication skills.

However anecdotal evidence suggests there are plenty of shysters in the PPE space….even the Government was ‘done’ when the much heralded 400,000 gowns they collected from Turkey had to be dumped.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1003369][/postquote]

My wife had to have some as you can’t take a blood test at the doctors without it.

Personally I have used a bandana style face cover as required….double thickness and in my judgement much better than the made in China junk.

As canucklad says any marginal gains are worthwhile but I wonder how many people have been lulled into a false sense of security by wearing something that has no protective measures at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls