2020 wrap-up…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• onajetplane
    Participant

After what has been an incredibly surreal year, I imagine the 2020 summaries will be vastly different from years before. Firstly and fore-mostly, hopefully everyone still has their health. And then secondly, the industry that so much of us love and embrace has been beyond decimated… a New Year’s Resolution will definitely include a strive to embrace socially safe and responsible travel wherever possible…

A few 2020 personal stats/opinions below:

1) Flights taken: 78 (54% compared to 2019)
    2) New airports: CUN, DAR, MCY, MWZ
    3) Airline that felt the most “COVID19 safe” taken: Qatar Airways
    4) Airline that felt the most “COVID19 unsafe/non-compliant”: Easyjet
    5) Destination visited that felt the most “COVID19 safe/compliant”: Dubai, UAE
    6) Destination visited that felt the most “COVID19 rules non-compliant”: Tulum, Mexico
    7) Best website for COVID19 cancellation refunds: Expedia
    8) Worst website for COVID19 cancellation refunds: Singapore Airlines

Festive greetings to all!

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Easy to do this, I was one of the final people in my corporation to travel before travel between our sites was stopped back in March.
    My first time flying with Loganair and now I’m a big fan — great airline and hope they can grow stronger when all this ends

Most bizarre business, BA wins hands down !! When I finally head back to HK it won;t be with BA , but thanks for processing the full refund even when I only wanted to move flights .

Special mention to the “Station Hotel” in Portsoy— a family run hotel that still managed to offer the same level of hospitality to me and my golfing pals despite the anti-social restrictions brought about by Covid

fatbear
    Participant

Just 10 flights taken this year, 6 of which were pre-Covid, whereas I would have expected to have taken between 40-50 if things had been “normal”. Trips to the Caribbean, Isreal and Helsinki for March-May were cancelled but either refunds or vouchers were quickly provided by airlines, hotels and parking ( except for Heathrow parking which took 4 months for the refund to be processed ).

No new airlines or destinations………..

Switzerlanding
    Participant

This is easy… just 6 flights all to Moscow, did fly a new route however LHR-SVO with BA.

The pandemic meant spending our time grounded in Switzerland (which is no bad thing) and discovering a little more of Europe with a road trip to Quiberon. I would say the Sofitel in Quiberon was spot on with their ‘new’ way of working, we felt safe at all times, equally Les Sources des Alps in Leukerbad was on-par with their procedures and the ‘safe’ feeling.

Not much else to say for 2020 apart from I know every part of the local woods, fields, lanes, rivers, hills etc… 🙂

TGRW
    Participant

A pleasure to add this as a regular reader of the forum, but an infrequent contributor (apologies).

Up until the end of corporate travel in mid March, I was taking my regular biweekly trips to Jakarta from here in Singapore and was also lucky to get away to go skiing to Japan in January. Having not traveled since mid March due to restrictions here in Singapore my wings have been well and truly clipped. We are envious of people living in larger countries with domestic tourism, Singapore has become quite small after 9 months.

Just before mid March I did have to go to jakarta on consecutive weeks, what was interesting was the change in restrictions / protocol inside a week. Waved through as nothing in early March, my last trip, health declarations, temperature taking and QR codes to enter all buildings.

SQ for my wife and I have been excellent in refunds, rebookings returning of miles. All over the phone which may have made the difference.

Fair2380
    Participant

Pleased the year is nearly over……

Sectors: 32 (+1 tomorrow night; 75% down vs 2019)
    Most impressive COVID airport operation: DXB (by a mile)
    Most impressive COVID airline: EK (able to make the flight feel ‘normal’ while being safe)
    Most impressive call centre handling: BA (repeatedly – if only their whole operation was as good as their call centres)
    Lasting lesson: will never take the privilege of travel for granted ever again

Here’s to a return to normality soon!

Stevescoots
    Participant

This year I managed:

12 sectors, all LHR-HKG-SGN and back
    one airline CX
    no new airports
    I actually lost count but something IRO 15 sectors cancelled flights either booked pre-COVID-19 or booked and then cancelled, all refunded/credited as per my request by CX/EK/QR/BA/EI/BR maybe more, I lost track much to the annoyance of my CFO when trying to reconcile my expenses. Lost IRO £1000 in Covid tests taken for flights cancelled.

alainboy56
    Participant

Good subject

Flew only 29 sectors this year (about a quarter of normal) although 25 of these were before the 17 Feb, so it could have been, maybe a ‘bumper’ flight year.
    New route FCO-BDS (Brindisi) which I flew 4 times.
    New airline FlyNAS from KSA – No better or No worse than Saudia after their change in catering, (used to be a ‘full hot meal’ then become ‘a cake and a juice in a bag’), and Etihad, whom have been catering with ‘a cake and juice in a bag’ for some time – their boutique service long gone.
    Worst experience – getting locked/trapped in Riyadh for more than 7 months.
    Best experience – Leaving Saudi Arabia at the end of September on a ‘flight to Freedom’
    Most expensive Covid-19 Test – Riyadh, KSA – approx Euros400/-
    Cheapest Covid-19 test – Helsinki, Finland – free on arrival.
    Only one flight cancellation – with SAUDIA, which was dealt with (on-line) and repaid in full to my Credit Card within one month. No complaints there.

And as @Fair2380 said above – I shall never take my freedom, liberty and privilege to travel for granted again.
    Those of us who are Europeans should also recognise our democratic freedom that whilst there have been restrictions (up to Dec 23rd) on travel, one has ALWAYS been able to travel for various reasons, and borders were NOT closed as they have been in other countries, whom we all know many various examples.
    These liberties we should always cherish.

The Season’s Greetings to all, and let us all hope and pray for a return to the ‘old’ normality, maybe sometime around spring in this coming New Year of 2021

DavidSmith2
    Participant

This won’t take long….

Four sectors flown in 2020.

Cape Town-Johannesburg-Accra (10 January)
    Accra-London (9 December)
    London-Accra (12 December)

Had a raft of cancelled flights but all either refunded or (in the case of BA) re-used, with the exception of Italy Air, although they say it will come through eventually. Needless to say, no new airports and no new destinations.

Two private trips in the pipeline for 2021 so far (Accra-London-Tirana in April & Accra-London in May). Business travel in West Africa still to be determined, based on policy decisions which are above my paygrade.

Let’s hope things start to open up in the spring but, in any event, I wish everyone here a successful 2021.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Pre Lockdown Just 6 sectors.
    Then no flights at all until mid November when I came back to South Africa – which was just 2 sectors.
    I felt Covid safe flying both Swiss and Safair though I felt Swiss’s boarding procedures were quite unsafe and illogical.

Normally I’d have flown between 50 and 60 sectors so about 90% down on usual.

Mrs. LP and the boys all flew Qatar and all felt very safe, as did the youngest flying Safair.
    However both Mrs. LP and eldest boy felt unsafe flying Kulula – not to mention on arrival at George, they did not open the doors and turned off the engines, no APU, and no external APU was connected. Doors kept firmly closed and no stairs. After 15 minutes Mrs. LP stood up and started protesting to at least open the doors for ventilation, especially with the virus, and was backed up by plenty of angry Afrikaners. Doors then opened and finally stairs were attached and the could disembark. there was a Safair plane which arrived a few minutes after and they had stairs etc attached immediately. One can’t help but wonder if Kulula owed the airport money???

Plenty planned for 2021 if tarvel is allowed!

esselle
    Participant

2020 has been a unique year for me. Zero flights.

Having flown an average of two sectors a week, every week, for 30 years during my career, and then around 10 sectors every year since retiring four years ago, it is a very strange state of affairs.

Hopefully things will start getting back to normal by mid 2021.

Happy and safe new year to all.

ASK1945
    Participant

Since retiring four years ago my business travel has evaporated to zero. However, we continued to travel extensively in my retirement, until 2020.

We flew LHR-SCL-EZE and return to/from Iguazu in January, but nothing since. We had booked four return flights to various destinations the rest of the year (all on BA), moved one set of flights to April 2021 and received refunds/vouchers for all.

However, the pandemic severely restricted our son’s business travel. He is Top Platinum El Al, Silver BA, Platinum United, plus the occasional private jet within mainland North America (main client’s plane). Until January 2020 he flew twice a month TLV-LON-NYC-YYZ or variations within these, plus forays to Prague, Bucharest and Warsaw from London. He hasn’t stepped foot in a plane since February.

DavidGrodentz
    Participant

Just 4 sectors in one 2 centre leisure trip this year, way back in January. HKG KUL LGK KUL HKG, all on Malaysia Airlines. Final sector on 28 Jan, everyone on the flight (including the stewardesses) wore masks even though no rules existed at the time

One leisure trip to Phuket cancelled, full and quick refunds by CX, IHG, and Marriott

No business travel this year

My wish for next year, to be able to travel outside of the 400 Square miles that is my home town, and soon

Wishing everyone at BT and on the Forum a happy, healthy and successful 2021

traveldoc
    Participant

Just 6 sectors for me this year – last one 8th March. Starting 2021 (1st January) with DUB-DXB-BKK so we’ll see how it goes.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

As 2020, closes…

6 sectors to Asia in January early Feb. Since the pandemic, 2 sectors in April and 2 in July – in total 10 sectors, down by a significant amount. Zero hotel nights away since April.

New airport – Doncaster

New Airline/charter – Vista jet

Best Covid airport – Doncaster FBO – no need to enter a terminal. Dogs, passengers and crew all cleared at steps of aircraft, cars whisked us away as soon as bags loaded.

Refunds – some were challenging, but all were sorted. Avios cancelations were the easiest and quickest.

My biggest worry/concern for 2021 – is how the world of travel will operate once the vaccines have been rolled out and administered. Without a vaccine passport system, I can not see how the world will fully reopen without some of the restrictions (including quarantine for some) remaining in place. I also hope the vaccine remains within Government controls and does not enter the private sector, until all have had their shot(s).

As for airline status and whether the airlines will continue to honour pre Covid levels – personally, I couldn’t care less.

Wishing everyone a happy and HEALTHY 2021 – and lets hope 2020 doesn’t win…. (read 2021 slowly)..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls