2 missed flights, whilst sitting in the lounge – sympathy or no sympathy….?

Back to Forum
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

• stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=884323]

Many people miss those ‘just after midnight flights’. They have a huge no show rate which is balanced by accommodating the people who missed it the night before.

It may sound unbelievable but many years ago I had a Qatar Airways flight with a departure time of 00.00 from Hong Kong. I think THAT shouldn’t be allowed. I was flummoxed and had to ask Qatar Airways which day it was.[/quote]

I remeber that flight, probably about 8 years ago..I arrived at the airport a day early!

handbag
    Participant

Many years ago accidentally booked a connecting flight on the wrong date when going from Phuket to Singapore. Late night flight and again near the 0000 hour. Luckily I realised a few days before traveling home and managed to change flight. My fault entirely and felt a fool.

DiamondDad68
    Participant

Google Trips and Tipcase do similar things to Tripit and are subscription free.

K1ngston
    Participant

I am back after a long hiatus and this thread caught my eye, simply because this happened to Martyn!

Now as you all know I am 2-3 sectors every week and this includes long and short haul, and I can honestly say in over 30 years of flying I have NEVER EVER missed a flight due to my own “negligence”

Are you sure this was just a catch up over tea and biscuits Martyn as I too have been weighlayed with you (not at an airport luckily) but by the end we could have easily been on planet Zogg!!

With the upgrade to your new “modern” smart phone you should download the app which will keep you informed, however the upside travelling here in F would have been a benefit for you I hope they were well stocked with the bubbly?????

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Now back in the UK and have been going through my trip accounts, including the cost of the missed flights. A couple of things to mention…

1. The ticket had a Euro 300 change fee and this was charged at £270

2. The cost of losing the AMS – LHR sector was charged at £234

3. the positiong flight change, i.e. losing the intial LHR-AMS was waived as a gesture on a seperate ticket

Would I have managed to blag my way on board without having gome to the ticket office off my own back – was not going to take the risk. All I can tell you was when I boarded both at London and Hong Kong, both sectors were showing on the computer by the boarding gate as cancelled, despite having new boarding cards issued.

Was I treated fairly???

At the time, i thought I was let off very fairly, however, on reflection, I missed a sector, didnt really change the ticket. The total cost of the change came to around 40% of the entire ticket for what amounted in flight time to around 3% of the entire flight journey time.

Is there any other purchase (apart from travel related) where less of something can cost you more?

I have learnt a lesson..

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Hi Martyn – I think you were treated fairly, though this is only my opinion.

You changed your ticket and were charged per the rules of the ticket you purchased. I suspect if you had purchased a higher fare type within the class you travelled, there may not have been a fee change at the level you paid.

Forgive me if I have this wrong, but you missed the AMS-LHR sector, so not sure the airline should refund you for this if travelling on a non refundable ticket type.

You mention the airline then waived any fee / cost for missing the first sector.

The other argument is they could have cancelled your ex AMS round trip ticket altogether and made you purchase a new LHR-HKG return which I suspect would have been somewhat more expensive.

It sounds like you missed the initial flight for purely genuine reasons. If you were on a LHR-HKG return ticket they may possibly have been able to get you on the later flight (if your original flight was the earlier of the two evening services), without charge. However, given the more ‘complex’ routing it seems on balance, to me at least, the outcome was fair.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls