Reply To: Qatar leasing A320 to BA to cover disruption

Back to Forum

FDOS_UK
Participant

I believe that BA has applied for a permit to wet lease these aircraft, however, EC1008/2008 states

(8) In order to avoid excessive recourse to lease agreements of aircraft registered in third countries, especially wet lease, these possibilities should only be allowed in exceptional circumstances, such as a lack of adequate aircraft on the Community market, and they should be strictly limited in time and fulfil safety standards equivalent to the safety rules of Community and national legislation.

Is the 8th strike in 7 months, by part of the cabin crew really exceptional? Are there no community sourced aircraft available?

Not sure if this application is a slam dunk, as attractive as it would be to QR senior management under the present circumstances (who own a slug of IAG). If it goes through, there should be some great headline opportunities for the press, ‘strike breaking, oppressive regime, banned from flying to other Arab countries for funding terrorism, human rights etc. etc.’. (for the avoidance of doubt, I’m not saying the above is true, but just visualising what the UK press may float).

I wonder how much it would cost v restoring the cabin crew travel concessions?

Time to buy some popcorn and watch this space.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls