Reply To: BA Miffed Fleet

Back to Forum

FDOS_UK
Participant

handbag’s point is a good one.

One way I could see this changing, is if the following happened

1 – Brexit impact on BA is very severe

2 – an existential crisis arises

3 – the leadership team (probably with a new CEO, as the old one will have gone due to the crisis) decides drastic action is needed

4 – they make the entire cabin crew community redundant and announce a single new group

5 – they then recruit to the new group, with different stuctures replacing the senior roles on the aircraft and wipe seniority

6 – the crew/union accept (don’t necessarily like) the expedient need and go along with it

Is the above likely? Probably not, but there is a (non-crew) precedent in BA, the Future Shape and Size programme of the early 2000s.

Otherwise, it will be muddling along with a situation that isn’t really working and is damaging the brand by contributing to a death of a thousand cuts.

This is just my opinion, but the question ‘what is the point of mixed fleet’ is stil one that I cannot see the answer to, beyond purely cost cutting – there are too many downsides for it to be an optimum solution.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls