Reply To: BA Miffed Fleet

Back to Forum

rferguson
Participant

Hi handbag….I totally agree. There is NO reason why the two working groups could not work together. And there is a precedent for this.

Before Mixed Fleet started recruitment BA went through a period of recruiting temporary contract crew. These crew were basically working to MF T&C’s. They were working a combination of long and short haul routes. They received less time off at home after each trip. And they were on a different payscale. The big difference – they were working alongside legacy crew on the same aircraft. It was great! The temps introduced some enthusiasm and youthfulness to our ‘mature’ fleet. And there were no ‘issues’ as to the different pay etc. Even as is now legacy crew are working to different payscales than their legacy colleagues. Those recruited pre ’97 are on a different payscale to those after. Those that have been redeployed have kept their old base salaries. But we get on with it – the deal was the deal when we signed up and we were happy to sign up to it.

Why BA steadfastly refuses to consider the crews working together is an unknown. The only reason I could think of…? Crew would actually be happy. And they don’t want that. I think they prefer the model of ‘divide and conquer’. And also any change would have to be an admission from the top that the current model does not work and was a mistake – and we all know how BA are absolutely LOATHE to admit to such things.

*** Personal opinions only ***

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls